• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA guy in Austin Tx for a weekend

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
good recs for nightlife and shopping guys.

I'm a foodie. So food that I can't get in LA.

Please, never again with that word.

Temper your expectations on shopping in Austin- it's generally lacking. There are a few cool shops on South Congress too (I can't believe that I forgot to mention it).

If you're looking for Austin specific, go to Torchy's, Hudson's, and Aquarelle. Hudson's is probably a 40 minutes drive, but very worth it.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Bwaahahahahaha:
0.jpg

OP - are you here for the UCLA game?

Corps kids are generally too socially awkward to be douchebags.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like Taco Deli better than Torchy's for nouveau tacos. La Condessa seems like the OP's speed for fancy Mexican. There is a "lounge" above La Condessa, too (called Malverde), although I'm not certain how frequented it is, haven't been since it first opened. For late night food, Justine's is pretty fun. Vino Vino is a good wine bar with food near the drag; Mulberry is a good wine bar with Italian food downtown.

Okay, done.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I'm from Austin but I've gone for so long now that all the places I liked are probably gone.

Where'd you go to high school?

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
McCallum

Cool, what year? AHS '97 (although I was supposed to go to Travis). Nowadays, when people tell me they're from Austin, I expect them to name some hinterland suburb that wasn't around when I was a kid, and which I certainly don't think of as Austin, proper.

Why didn't you tell the OP to go to Dan's?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, what year? AHS '97 (although I was supposed to go to Travis). Nowadays, when people tell me they're from Austin, I expect them to name some hinterland suburb that wasn't around when I was a kid, and which I certainly don't think of as Austin, proper.

Why didn't you tell the OP to go to Dan's?

I graduated in 96. I'm real Austin. Grew up off of Burnet road. Glad to hear Dan's still exists. Hilbert's is good too though I'm told there are other locations than the original and the original is gone.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The original closed just in the last few years and reopened nearby (where that Taco Bell was on 38th, behind the Randalls. I've always much preferred Dans (and Frans), though.

I bet we know some of the same kids. I knew a bunch of people at McCallum when I was at AHS.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The original closed just in the last few years and reopened nearby (where that Taco Bell was on 38th, behind the Randalls. I've always much preferred Dans (and Frans), though.

I bet we know some of the same kids. I knew a bunch of people at McCallum when I was at AHS.

I'll I ever got at Hllbert's was the wings. They were great.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys.

any good seafood places?

probably not sushi since I can get better sushi here.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perlas and Eddie V's. Perla's has tons of fresh oysters from both coasts. Perlas was on No Reservations recently. It's on South Congress. Also, Uchi is known more for its plates and cooked food than its straight up sushi (sort of Nobu-esque).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
You at UT?

West 6th is what you're looking for. UT girls are fine and put out, but don't let them open their mouth. You'll get immediate bonus points if you mention where you're from.

If you're looking for a nice meal: go to Hudson's on the Bend, Aquarelle or Sullivan's (this one and Aquarelle are in the heart of down town, so it's convenient before you hit the bars if you're so inclined). Make sure that you have people whom you enjoy spending time with if you go to Aquarelle. It's a great place, but very much a slow down, sit and talk sort of meal. Don't bother with Three Forks- it's good but not great.

If you're looking for more Austin styled food (arguably better): Torchy's Tacos, Freebird's, Hut's Hamburgers, and Ironworks Barbeque are all great. Get the trailer park (trashy) if you go Torchy's. People will tell you to go to Chuy's, but it's ****** tex mex. Shady grove is also excellent (green chili burger is where it's at).

+1 on Ironworks. ******* delicious.

Driskill bar and grill, quite good for more formal. I love the hotel. It is one of my top 10 favorite hotels in the US.

There's another place I recall liking... "Wicks" or something like that. It serves chicken..

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perlas and Eddie V's. Perla's has tons of fresh oysters from both coasts. Perlas was on No Reservations recently. It's on South Congress. Also, Uchi is known more for its plates and cooked food than its straight up sushi (sort of Nobu-esque).

Eddie V's is an extremely generic and very not special steak house. It's Austin's answer to Gibson's. Has the same viagara triangle type crowd. Better steak at the restaurant in the Four Seasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads