• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quitting my job to work in fashion

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
fredfred: lots of good info here.

I have a mediocre contact at Gilt, and a couple small designer friends that dont make any money. I did PR for about 1 year after college. Could I assume that 1 year experience and a rockstar reference from my old boss would get me in the door in an entry level position? I'd be living in NYC, so I could probably scrape by on $45k, maybe $40k - is that fairly typical of the salaries for a entry level fashion PR job?

Also, no I dont have money saved. I'd need to find something what was salary, or at least a paid internship where i can bartend nights.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
fredfred: lots of good info here.

I have a mediocre contact at Gilt, and a couple small designer friends that dont make any money. I did PR for about 1 year after college. Could I assume that 1 year experience and a rockstar reference from my old boss would get me in the door in an entry level position? I'd be living in NYC, so I could probably scrape by on $45k, maybe $40k - is that fairly typical of the salaries for a entry level fashion PR job?

Also, no I dont have money saved. I'd need to find something what was salary, or at least a paid internship where i can bartend nights.

I don't think you'll get that

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since I'm trying to do the same thing, it's ALL about connections. I'm currently working retail here in NYC and while the money, especially with season starting makes for a passable living, getting from the sales floor (even with 2 degrees, buying / planning experience, excel / database expertise and ) is very hard... to say nothing of the fact that you have no retail experience or experience with clothing.

The amount of morons that working in buying and planning where I work is un-*******-believable. Sr. Assistant shoe buyers that don't know what a Goodyear welt is. Assistant and associate clothing buyers that don't know what a curtained waistband is, etc.. and they don't understand Excel, to say nothing of basic algebra. They aren't even able to pair looks together intradepartmental, to say nothing of cross-departemental. But, they knew someone and got the job.

And as aforementioned, people will lie, cheat and steal to screw you, so you better be good at escalation, but hopefully if you have intelligence that should help you outmaneuver what comes at you.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
more importantly: it took you this long to come out of the closet
joker-clap.gif

This would be much funnier if we were all 15 and semi-marsupialed. Except we're not.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
This would be much funnier if we were all 15 and semi-marsupialed. Except we're not.

replying to my remark was a gay test, congratz bro!

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
This.

Plus, the poaster's name is 'Da Luis Vuitton Don'
facepalm.gif

that statement shows how much you pay attention to obvious things around you!no my name has no affiliation with the designer of LV
facepalm.gif

thelouisvuittondon.jpg

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
that statement shows how much you pay attention to obvious things around you!no my name has no affiliation with the designer of LV
facepalm.gif

thelouisvuittondon.jpg

Just chose the name based on lyrics of one of the most popular "closet cases" in entertainment... not that it matters though...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP...

Quitting your job and moving to NYC without savings is...interesting...

Bellum

Reaction score
You're passionate about fashion? I would give you the same advice I gave to my daughter who is passionate about music. Get a job that allows you the financial freedom to play music for fun.

She's earning a comfortable living as a RN and still enjoys her music as a hobby while her music friends struggle and have a love/hate relationship with their passion. And going to NYC with these nebulous plans and no money is naive to put it kindly. Stick to business and go shopping or something fashion related as a hobby.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellum
You're passionate about fashion? I would give you the same advice I gave to my daughter who is passionate about music. Get a job that allows you the financial freedom to play music for fun.

She's earning a comfortable living as a RN and still enjoys her music as a hobby while her music friends struggle and have a love/hate relationship with their passion. And going to NYC with these nebulous plans and no money is naive to put it kindly. Stick to business and go shopping or something fashion related as a hobby.

I can't fully support this... there many incredible artists who wouldn't be contributing to society at large if they didn't take chances... HOWEVER...the OP doesn't need to make it more difficult than it needs to be. Not sure why you can't set a goal of setting aside enough money to go without salary in NYC for 1 year and THEN pursue your dream. Fashion doesn't have an age limit

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about actually getting a job at a "fashion PR firm".

I do know that large PR firms charge about $10,000/month as a retainer.

SO... if you get 8 clients at the paltry sum of $500/month, you'll be grossing $48K/year. A small business would see $500/month as the cost of hiring a specialty employee.. per month.. well in NYC anybody with knowledge costs $14/hr. You have special knowledge, so you are worth more than that. $20/hr... for the $500/month they'd expect 20+ hrs of work. You'll be giving them that value, but you can leverage what you do for one client for another client, so you don't have to do 20 hours of work for them each month.

What they'll really expect is enough SALES resulting from your PR to cover your costs. If you are generating PR and they cover their costs (or get close, as they'll expect repeat sales) they will be happy.

It's as simple as that.

You could throw in a monthly "review session" with them where you hand them a report that shows all the mentions you've gotten on blogs, twitters, what not. Stuff they *could* do themselves but probably aren't.

The point is to make yourself value-able to them. That is - you give them more value than they are paying for. That's what will make them happy.

I figure anybody who has the guts to move to NYC without a job lined up is either:

- An idiot who'll be run out of town out of money within a year OR
- Somebody who is confident enough to make what I'm talking about work

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friend just got a job at Gilt. Then again she is like a brilliant ex-consultant taking a 200% pay cut to do it. She is amazing, and she barely got in the door.

Good luck...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
I don't know about actually getting a job at a "fashion PR firm".

I do know that large PR firms charge about $10,000/month as a retainer.

SO... if you get 8 clients at the paltry sum of $500/month, you'll be grossing $48K/year. A small business would see $500/month as the cost of hiring a specialty employee.. per month.. well in NYC anybody with knowledge costs $14/hr. You have special knowledge, so you are worth more than that. $20/hr... for the $500/month they'd expect 20+ hrs of work. You'll be giving them that value, but you can leverage what you do for one client for another client, so you don't have to do 20 hours of work for them each month.

What they'll really expect is enough SALES resulting from your PR to cover your costs. If you are generating PR and they cover their costs (or get close, as they'll expect repeat sales) they will be happy.

It's as simple as that.

You could throw in a monthly "review session" with them where you hand them a report that shows all the mentions you've gotten on blogs, twitters, what not. Stuff they *could* do themselves but probably aren't.

The point is to make yourself value-able to them. That is - you give them more value than they are paying for. That's what will make them happy.

I figure anybody who has the guts to move to NYC without a job lined up is either:

- An idiot who'll be run out of town out of money within a year OR
- Somebody who is confident enough to make what I'm talking about work

Every business I've ever started I did with less than $1000... I lived with friends until I got the first off the ground... You have to be kind of a nut but being a talented nut helps
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads