• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket for the fall? Poast pics of recent purchases or what you're coveting.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen the site filmjackets.com? There's a nice discussion of some of the jackets we've talked about here.

redips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I know. That's why they should have got the jacket in his size. Not XXXL.

The fit of that jacket was obviously intentional. He is on his own scavenging, hunting, and surviving. A properly fitting jacket would have been the wrong prop.

On another note, can anyone explain the preference for the stretchy fabric on the base of some of these jackets? It looks cheap, dated, and hardly rugged. Sort of like the look of my college accounting professor back in the day.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say that I'm quite impressed with the list of Hollywood creds Belstaff has, from checking out all the movies their stuff has been featured in, and mainly because they list it at all.

Not that I care about the Hollywood connection per se, but I do wonder why other brands don't list their creds as well, especially sunglass companies (which would be nice)?

Is there some unwritten rule Belstaff chooses not to follow?

SouthPhillyMan

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Belstaff. I think the quarter length belted look is some what "old head".
Woe that cockpit jacket is vicious. I'm checking out the site now.
I been thinking about getting a leather myself and have been keeping an eye out on Gilt, but what do you guys think of Cole Haan leathers? I want a soft buttery leather

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redips

On another note, can anyone explain the preference for the stretchy fabric on the base of some of these jackets? It looks cheap, dated, and hardly rugged. Sort of like the look of my college accounting professor back in the day.

A1 Flight jacket - the original US Airforce jacket - had this detail:

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=7

Originally Posted by somatoform
I must say that I'm quite impressed with the list of Hollywood creds Belstaff has, from checking out all the movies their stuff has been featured in, and mainly because they list it at all.

Not that I care about the Hollywood connection per se, but I do wonder why other brands don't list their creds as well, especially sunglass companies (which would be nice)?

Is there some unwritten rule Belstaff chooses not to follow?

Belstaff consciously does product placement of their leathers to drive brand awareness. They then price these leather jackets above $1000. This allows them sell the waxed cotton version for $500 and trick people into thinking they're getting a bargain.

porschemad911

Reaction score
Speaking of Belstaff ... I just got this one (sorry only have the pic from the for sale thread) ... absolutely love it!
Belstaff.jpg

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cimabue

Reaction score
Even though I like several of them, I'd think long and hard about a Belstaff.

The snaps/belts are distinctive but could turn against you in hurry as snaps and belts are easy adornments.

What I'm trying to say is, it's a look that will be easy to copy.

Do you want people confusing your expensive Belstaff with an equally distinctive mall-brand knockoff?

Hedge your trend, maybe?

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
Even though I like several of them, I'd think long and hard about a Belstaff.

The snaps/belts are distinctive but could turn against you in hurry as snaps and belts are easy adornments.

What I'm trying to say is, it's a look that will be easy to copy.

Do you want people confusing your expensive Belstaff with an equally distinctive mall-brand knockoff?

Hedge your trend, maybe?

that's true for the waxed cotton jackets - Barbours are just as nice, and so are many, many imitators

but it's not true of the leather jackets themselves, and the way Belstaff antiques the leather and makes it a durable finish that doesn't come off with wear or water (a huge feat!)

many have tried to copy them, but I have yet to see anything that comes close to both the finish and the durability of Belstaff leathers,,,,even the best imitators fall far short

it's the one brand that's worth the money, assuming you like the designs

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
but it's not true of the leather jackets themselves, and the way Belstaff antiques the leather and makes it a durable finish that doesn't come off with wear or water (a huge feat!)

many have tried to copy them, but I have yet to see anything that comes close to both the finish and the durability of Belstaff leathers,,,,even the best imitators fall far short

it's the one brand that's worth the money, assuming you like the designs

Still, for your average MCer, this is a very casual coat, so it's worn on the weekends for maybe half the year. Buying a replica shortens the payback period by years in this case. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a replica just for price - I called J.Crew on Tuesday when they sold the last Panther to see if they could find me another one - but I can't help feeling that I'd be buying an awful lot of label as well as a great jacket for $1500, when I can get a MTM fit, with no brand premium, and admittedly lower quality detailing and leather finish, for 1/6th of the price.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads