• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deadlifts with lifting gloves

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
It really isnt because there are other, safer options to strengthen your posterior chain that have a much reduced risk of injury. If there are safer ways for a ***** to improve his health then he should do them.

Like what?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Like what?

There are machines for your lower back and glutes. Exercise balls. Stuff like that. Ab work is also important in stabilizing your back. None of these will be as effective but they wont be as dangerous either.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are machines for your lower back and glutes. Exercise balls. Stuff like that. Ab work is also important in stabilizing your back. None of these will be as effective but they wont be as dangerous either.

No machine is going to give you anything approaching the complete posterior chain workout that deadlifts give. You just have to be careful about pushing yourself too hard, and learn proper form. Some people may need flexibility work as well so they can safely pull off the floor.

I've seen plenty of people hurt their back doing curls of all things, any exercise requires a concern for safety.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt say gloves help you lift more.

I also didnt say you could damage yourself if you used proper form. I said you can hurt yourself if you had a momentary slip in lifting form.

Im glad people have deadlifted over 1000 pounds without injury but this fact will offer little comfort to people who manage to permanently hurt themselves lifting a third of that weight.

if you cant deadlift properly then you cant really pick anything off the ground properly.

correct lifting form should be known by everyone regardless of wether they are doing 1000lb deadlifts or picking up a box of books.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned chalk, but use it instead of gloves. The gloves will only make gripping the bar harder and prevent you from building up the calluses you need to do heavy lifting.

As for the exercise itself, I can't say anything bad about it other than like every other exercise, good form is paramount for staying injury free. If I can get a fifty year old guy with no prior lifting experience to power clean in less than a year, I can damn well get him to deadlift correctly.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Ok, I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned chalk, but use it instead of gloves. The gloves will only make gripping the bar harder and prevent you from building up the calluses you need to do heavy lifting.

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a poast miss the thread so widely yet deftly.

iDShaDoW

Reaction score
From what I know, gloves don't make your grip weaker...

Using gloves for lifting aren't the same as using a back brace or wrist wraps that will cause supporting muscle deficiencies that you'll notice when you try to workout without them later on.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iDShaDoW
From what I know, gloves don't make your grip weaker...

Using gloves for lifting aren't the same as using a back brace or wrist wraps that will cause supporting muscle deficiencies that you'll notice when you try to workout without them later on.

Gloves mechanically lower your gripping ability simply because the glove will slip around over your skin and make it harder to hold onto the bar.

iDShaDoW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Gloves mechanically lower your gripping ability simply because the glove will slip around over your skin and make it harder to hold onto the bar.

Uh, if anything the glove itself will help you grip the bar easier just like chalk would help in the case of sweaty hands. And if you've got a decent pair of gloves, your hands won't be sliding around inside of the glove itself...

The OP's questions was about whether or not gloves act as a crutch allowing you to deadlift more than you would be able to without the gloves, which over time would create a bigger gap in what you can and cannot deadlift without wearing gloves.

Gloves wouldn't act as a crutch. Wraps or a lifting belt do.

Keep using the gloves if you want. Lot of people don't care for them, but not everyone wants sandpaper for hands either.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iDShaDoW
Uh, if anything the glove itself will help you grip the bar easier just like chalk would help in the case of sweaty hands. And if you've got a decent pair of gloves, your hands won't be sliding around inside of the glove itself...
Chalk is just a coating on your hands, there's nothing there that could possibly slip . A glove is an additional layer of material. Apply a couple hundred pounds of pressure to that layer and it very likely to slip against your skin, no matter how well fitted it may be. You get some added friction/sweat absorption benefit, but that's outweighed by the slipping problem for most. I've never seen anyone who pulls a decent weight use gloves, and I don't believe that's just gym rat herd mentality.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deadlifts = good. Gloves, straps, chalk, bare hands, or pink slippers doesn't really matter. The fact is, very few people do deadlifts and most should.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Chalk is just a coating on your hands, there's nothing there that could possibly slip . A glove is an additional layer of material. Apply a couple hundred pounds of pressure to that layer and it very likely to slip against your skin, no matter how well fitted it may be. You get some added friction/sweat absorption benefit, but that's outweighed by the slipping problem for most. I've never seen anyone who pulls a decent weight use gloves, and I don't believe that's just gym rat herd mentality.

Truth. Straps yes, gloves no.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Truth. Straps yes, gloves no.

Gloves no, straps only if you are snatch-gripping or rack-pulling. Otherwise, work your damn grip strength.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads