• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buying new cookware... all-clad? which line? anyone use it?

Scrounger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
As in they will replace your non-stick pan when the coating starts wearing off or what?

Pretty sure that's what I read in Cooks Illustrated. I would imagine AC would be very strict about following their usage instructions though, and you'll pay for return shipping. I could be wrong about all this though, check before you buy I guess.

Another thumbs-up for Tramontina tri-ply, I have a few of these. You can order from Wal-Mart online and they'll ship free to most stores for pickup.

+1 on Cooks Illustrated. A very good starting point.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I've worked with them and even running them through a conveyor dishwasher several times... you still had to let them soak with soap or greasecutter if it was really bad. The cooks rarely got back a clean Le Creuset. It mostly depended on the sauce that was being used.

my question is what the hell are they doing with them? I can get anything off of that. If it discolors, apparently you just leave a little bleach in there overnight. But that surface is so smooth that anything comes off.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrounger
Pretty sure that's what I read in Cooks Illustrated. I would imagine AC would be very strict about following their usage instructions though, and you'll pay for return shipping. I could be wrong about all this though, check before you buy I guess. Another thumbs-up for Tramontina tri-ply, I have a few of these. You can order from Wal-Mart online and they'll ship free to most stores for pickup. +1 on Cooks Illustrated. A very good starting point.
Well you don't have to replace non-stick if you use it properly. Medium heat... if you're making eggs, why would you use any higher? I don't really like non-stick for much else. Some people do fish but you don't get a good crust and the skin doesn't cook nicely.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my le creuset discolors slightly when i cook things like black beans in it for a long time. but i think that's part of the charm.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
my question is what the hell are they doing with them? I can get anything off of that. If it discolors, apparently you just leave a little bleach in there overnight. But that surface is so smooth that anything comes off.

+1. Over time mine get some slight discoloration, but whatever. One time I even had to steam some pork belly (my usual pan for this was in use), and idiot me didn't check the water level so I ended up with pork fat drippings caked on in a black solid mass at the bottom of the pan. A little water, a dot of soap, and a little soaking and that **** wiped right off.
Originally Posted by foodguy
but i think that's part of the charm.
that's how I rationalize being an asshole to people, too.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
my le creuset discolors slightly when i cook things like black beans in it for a long time. but i think that's part of the charm.

I just soak it in Method (a product line I actually use for all my cleaning stuff in the house) dish soap and it's gone within 20 minutes. And that really is anything... things like borscht, squid ink, saffron and turmeric... it all disappears.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
that's how I rationalize being an asshole to people, too.

ha! works better for cast-iron.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Searing meat or for an example a cranberry sauce makes them a ***** to clean. The cooks always got **** back stained, but let it go because the dishwasher was getting slammed and you can't have bleach in a restaurant. I don't want to get into a huge debate about this, Believe what you want, man.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Searing meat or for an example a cranberry sauce makes them a ***** to clean. The cooks always got **** back stained, but let it go because the dishwasher was getting slammed and you can't have bleach in a restaurant. I don't want to get into a huge debate about this, Believe what you want, man.

why are they searing in them?

Cranberry you need to soak. I can understand that in a restaurant line that isn't convenient, so I see why that's a problem. For a home cook though, non issue.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why are they searing in them?

Cranberry you need to soak. I can understand that in a restaurant line that isn't convenient, so I see why that's a problem. For a home cook though, non issue.

Look dude, when the Chef and management decide to change cookware and go with Le Creuset... you don't really question it. Did we like to work with them? **** NO!!

As far as cooking with Le Creuset... not everybody is going to know how to properly use them.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look dude, when the Chef and management decide to change cookware and go with Le Creuset... you don't really question it. Did we like to work with them? **** NO!!

As far as cooking with Le Creuset... not everybody is going to know how to properly use them.

Yea... unless you have a huge dishwash line, they're a bad idea. Very bad idea...

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea... unless you have a huge dishwash line, they're a bad idea. Very bad idea...

But all those colors look cute! Unfucking believable.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But all those colors look cute! Unfucking believable.

whoever your 'chefs' are... they are marsupialed.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned and added to my all stainless all-clad. I'm very happy with it. But I have also added a few Le Creuset pieces and would also highly recommend a large one for stews, chili, etc. I also bought two all-clad with non-stick for starches, like fried potatoes.

Plan on using a high quality paste metal cleaner about once or twice a year on the frying pans. That will keep them shinny and remove any residue from burns or scortches.

I looked for all-clad starter sets on sale as a way to get started and to save a lot of money. The look for "specials" that come up on new or unique pieces as a cost effective way to add to your set.

I love how I don't have to worry about damaging them and can just toss them in the dishwasher.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned and added to my all stainless all-clad. I'm very happy with it. But I have also added a few Le Creuset pieces and would also highly recommend a large one for stews, soups, chili, etc. I also bought two all-clad with non-stick for starches, like fried potatoes.

Plan on using a high quality paste metal cleaner about once or twice a year on the frying pans. That will keep them shinny and remove any residue from burns or scortches.

I looked for all-clad starter sets on sale as a way to get started and to save a lot of money. Then look for "specials" that come up on new or unique pieces as a cost effective way to add to your set.

I love how I don't have to worry about damaging them and can just toss them in the dishwasher.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads