• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deadlifts with lifting gloves

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Gloves are fine. They will not eliminate callouses but they will help a little. They also help to improve your grip strength a little.

no.

*****Caution - Non Group Think to follow ******

Heavy deadlifts are great for getting bigger and stronger but I think their overall benefit is overrated because they are also a very risky exercise. A herniated disc in your back is the gift that keeps on giving.

If your goal is to take on the world , wrestle bears and strut around then deadlift. If it is to maintain a healthy and relatively strong physique for the longterm I would strategically avoid them. Its so easy to have a momentary slip in lifting form (particularly when pushing your limits) and really screw yourself over.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no ****.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
no.

Yes.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no ****.

Oh yeah. Deadlifts are a very effective exercise but a lot of people are going to hurt themselves doing them and will wind up the worse for it.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gloves do not help you to lift more. if they do for you, you're doing it wrong.

deadlifts strengthen your back and posterior, making it less likely that you'll injure yourself doing other exercises or just random accidents. you won't damage your back doing deadlifts if you do them with proper form unless it's already damaged.

people have deadlifted over 1000lbs. If you're doing it properly, it's perfectly safe.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
gloves do not help you to lift more. if they do for you, you're doing it wrong.

deadlifts strengthen your back and posterior, making it less likely that you'll injure yourself doing other exercises or just random accidents. you won't damage your back doing deadlifts if you do them with proper form unless it's already damaged.

people have deadlifted over 1000lbs. If you're doing it properly, it's perfectly safe.

I didnt say gloves help you lift more.

I also didnt say you could damage yourself if you used proper form. I said you can hurt yourself if you had a momentary slip in lifting form.

Im glad people have deadlifted over 1000 pounds without injury but this fact will offer little comfort to people who manage to permanently hurt themselves lifting a third of that weight.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Look what laser printer deadlifts did for sho'nuff's buttocks and lower back.

10/10 top quality photos.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt say gloves help you lift more.

I also didnt say you could damage yourself if you used proper form. I said you can hurt yourself if you had a momentary slip in lifting form.

Im glad people have deadlifted over 1000 pounds without injury but this fact will offer little comfort to people who manage to permanently hurt themselves lifting a third of that weight.

do you know how many people actually do this?

I'd be willing to bet that it's less than the number of people who put their backs out by lifting a sofa.

what's more, doing deadlifts will make you less likely to put your back out in other exercises.

It's like making a fat person run. Yes, they could have a heart attack, but over all they're better off for doing it.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So.. basically what you're saying is to avoid deads b/c you can ************* up with improper form. Isn't that the case with most exercises involving a barbell and heavy-ish weights?
Granted, if you're not competing, you might not want to do heavy 1RMs or heavy doubles etc. but just saying this exercise (insert any compound lift here) ******** you up, therefore you shouldn't do it is wrong.

I'm not saying that deads are the be-all and end-all of weight training, one either chooses to incorporate them into ones regimen or not, but don't count them out just b/c they can do some damage.

Also, for raw grip strength just lose the straps and use chalk. Fat bar (Swiss bar) deads are also excellent in that regard. I don't think Bolton pulled his 1000+ lbs w/ straps either, but I digress.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's true that deads are dangerous. Just don't try to be a hero in the gym and don't push yourself past proper form. There is definitely a risk in doing them. I've been okay doing them for a few years now, with one instance where I pulled something in my upper back and was stiff for a week. Other than that I've been okay.

Make sure you have the form right before you start seriously doing them. Either film yourself or ask someone if your back is rounding.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Deadlifts are a very effective exercise but a lot of people are going to hurt themselves doing them and will wind up the worse for it.

Better not squat or bench either then, those are all potentially dangerous if one was to have a "momentary slip in lifting form". Better yet stick to the spin bike and curls, I doubt you could hurt yourself there!

Do the damn deadlifts, the carryover that comes from strengthening your entire posterior chain will improve your performance in almost any physical activity.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Was he doing them in the squat rack?

No but that would have been the perfect storm of bro-ness.

--Andre

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
So.. basically what you're saying is to avoid deads b/c you can ************* up with improper form. Isn't that the case with most exercises involving a barbell and heavy-ish weights?
Granted, if you're not competing, you might not want to do heavy 1RMs or heavy doubles etc. but just saying this exercise (insert any compound lift here) ******** you up, therefore you shouldn't do it is wrong.

I'm not saying that deads are the be-all and end-all of weight training, one either chooses to incorporate them into ones regimen or not, but don't count them out just b/c they can do some damage.

Also, for raw grip strength just lose the straps and use chalk. Fat bar (Swiss bar) deads are also excellent in that regard. I don't think Bolton pulled his 1000+ lbs w/ straps either, but I digress.

I think it all depends on the reason people go to the gym. If you are a competitive athlete or a serious weightlifting hobbyist deadlifts will probably be on your agenda. If you are just a guy who wants to look and feel good and be more healthy and you want to be this way for the long run I would approach them with caution.

Sure, you can hurt yourself with any lift. The reason I single out deadlifts (I'll throw Goodmornings in here too) is that in my view the potential for serious, longterm, chronic injury is higher than with other compound lifts - too high.

As one of Style forums official old guys and someone who has been in and out of gyms since the late 70's i have a somewhat different perspective. Weightlifting and the the results you get from it are a joy but dont just focus on maximizing your strength. The other half to that equation is minimizing your injuries.

Be careful.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
do you know how many people actually do this?

No I dont but I bet that number will rise given the current popularity of the exercise.

I'd be willing to bet that it's less than the number of people who put their backs out by lifting a sofa.

I would too but this doesnt change my opinions on deadlifting. Hard to see why you think it might.

what's more, doing deadlifts will make you less likely to put your back out in other exercises.

I agree with this but I dont think this added benefit makes up for its potential liability.

It's like making a fat person run. Yes, they could have a heart attack, but over all they're better off for doing it.

It really isnt because there are other, safer options to strengthen your posterior chain that have a much reduced risk of injury. If there are safer ways for a ***** to improve his health then he should do them.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
Better not squat or bench either then, those are all potentially dangerous if one was to have a "momentary slip in lifting form". Better yet stick to the spin bike and curls, I doubt you could hurt yourself there!

Do the damn deadlifts, the carryover that comes from strengthening your entire posterior chain will improve your performance in almost any physical activity.

I wish there were spin bikes at my gym. I would attend a spin class.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I herniated my L4/L5 disc doing deadlifts. I believe my form was good, but I was trying a max effort (1 rep) lift and probably shouldn't have been trying that. I hadn't been lifting hardcore for a few weeks and went back and pushed myself too hard. I had been planning on doing a 5x5 scheme, but felt really good and wanted to go for the 1RM. I tore a ligament, it let my back shift, and I blew a disc. Queue up eight weeks of intense pain, spinal surgery, and about a year and a half away from the gym (various mental and physical consequences from the injury and surgery).

I still recommend that people do deadlifts. I still do them, although I'll never do a max effort lift again. They're a great lift and really not THAT dangerous. More people pop discs doing shoulder press, oddly enough (arch their back too much). They just have an unpleasant habit of really stressing your weak links. For me, it was a ligament. No way of knowing that, I should have just been smarter about doing a max effort lift when I wasn't 100% in lifting shape. Muscles were fine, I had already hit my personal record of 500 lbs and was trying for more, but my ligament just couldn't take the stress.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It's true that deads are dangerous. Just don't try to be a hero in the gym and don't push yourself past proper form. There is definitely a risk in doing them. I've been okay doing them for a few years now, with one instance where I pulled something in my upper back and was stiff for a week. Other than that I've been okay.

Make sure you have the form right before you start seriously doing them. Either film yourself or ask someone if your back is rounding.

This is the reasonable way to go if you have to do them. As far as injuries go Im not talking about the "stiff for a week" category. Hell, at 50 Im stiff for the rest of my life ( I know, I should see a doctor. Its been over 4 hours). Im talking about herniating a disk in your spine and the resultant lifelong problems it will cause.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads