• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

LorenzL

Reaction score
The reason why the same suit might be a slightly different fabric within a short time-frame is simple - Indochino is sourcing fabric very cheaply and they often buy up leftover fabrics that are only good for a dozen suits (but they cost almost nothing). This gives their collections (like the Blueprint one) an air of exclusivity but of courses also causes troubles if you get a remade jacket done from another fabric...

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by style_man
that new brown suit is looking good... Is it okay for me (I only have one charcoal suit from somewhere else) to get a brown suit as my second? I know Navy would be better as a second, but is brown okay?

You're better off going with a navy for #2. I have a brown but it is part of a 6 suit rotation, and truthfully I wear it the least. Brown is coming back, but is not really considered a staple of a lot of people. I work in a pretty traditional office, and I'm the only person sporting the brown.

raphael__n

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm getting the 3-piece timeless charcoal suit, and I'm wondering which button option I should go with for my vest. I know that for a suit jacket, 2-button is generally better for a shorter person, since 3-button tends to make you look shorter. However, this is tied to a higher button position which reduces the length of the lapel making one appear shorter. In the case of a vest, I imagine that the length doesn't vary according to the choice of buttons, but instead, the buttons get smaller. In my case (5'4"), would you recommend going with the 3-button, 5-button, or 7-button option for the vest? Thanks in advance.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with 5 button. I just looked at two of my suits (not from Indochino) and they are both 5.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
I know that for a suit jacket, 2-button is generally better for a shorter person, since 3-button tends to make you look shorter.
Are people still parroting that old canard? A well-cut three-button and a well-cut two-button are interchangeable. Also, can we talk about Indochino advertising a two-button notch tuxedo as "classic" and a one-button shawl as "fashion-forward"?

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I would go with 5 button. I just looked at two of my suits (not from Indochino) and they are both 5.

After some consideration, 5-button does seem the way to go. Now I'm thinking about collar styles. the notch collared vests look interesting worn on their own, though I'm not sure if it would be fitting with a suit. Then there is the rounded neck as well. Too many options!

I also noticed that surgeon's cuffs aren't an option on the customization list, although I have read that some people did get them. Is this an option that has to be specially requested, or is no longer offered? The only similar advanced option I see for the jacket is a functional boutonniere. Personally, I'd rather not have a **** on one of my lapels unless I'm getting a tux. Kills the symmetry.

linsook

Reaction score
After some consideration, 5-button does seem the way to go. Now I'm thinking about collar styles. the notch collared vests look interesting worn on their own, though I'm not sure if it would be fitting with a suit. Then there is the rounded neck as well. Too many options!

I also noticed that surgeon's cuffs aren't an option on the customization list, although I have read that some people did get them. Is this an option that has to be specially requested, or is no longer offered? The only similar advanced option I see for the jacket is a functional boutonniere. Personally, I'd rather not have a **** on one of my lapels unless I'm getting a tux. Kills the symmetry.

first time customers have restricted options.

jbharris88

Reaction score
After some consideration, 5-button does seem the way to go.

5 button is definitely the way to go. Working cuff buttons are for returning customers only. Also, you should definitely get a functional lapel, otherwise you look like you are wearing some OTR suit. It will not kill the symmetry. The idea of a "fake" boutonnière is stupid. It's like my girlfriends j.crew pants that are supposed to have rear pockets but they are closed with no pocket.

Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Are people still parroting that old canard? A well-cut three-button and a well-cut two-button are interchangeable.

Yes, a well-cut 3B may be = 2B but this isn't the thread for that. There is no way Indochino would get a 3B correct for someone of smaller stature. As someone who is 5'6" you'd still never catch me in a double breasted or a 3B. The rule should stand true for most users on this thread.

Crash Override

Reaction score
OK, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my first Indochino. (I received my Tailor's kit yesterday).
where I work, the dress tends to be decent slacks, nice polo or button down shirt, so my suits/blazers are more for fun/special events. Being rather short, semi-fit (5' 7", 150 lbs), I prefer slim silhouettes, and am fairly impossible to fit off the rack. I also prefer to be a bit more daring than conservative with my fashion choices.
what's already in my closet:
-English Laundry black formal vested suit (has some blue lines, slim fit)
-Vintage 60's purple sharkskin suit (narrow lapels, slim fit)
-Vintage Red sharkskin shawl collar jacket w/black trim and black tuxedo-pants
- Ben Sherman Hesher grey blazer w/black Trim
-Black velvet blazer
-White blazer
-and a couple of suits I've had for a while and am looking to replace, one black pinstripe, and one charcoal pinstripe (these are more traditional fit OTR suits, picked up in a pinch).

Nothing to brag about, but that tells you what i have so you can tell me what I need next.

I'm looking at the:
Black Day at the office- Nice wool, medium weight, bit of a sheen, but it's black and not a lot of sheen.
Essential charcoal- nice color, decent wool, but similar to my existing charcoal in color, and not a lot of sheen.
Metallic Grey- Really like the sheen of this suit, and I can picture this grey with a black shirt (which many here would likely hate, but it's polyester. and it's a bit hard to tell from the swatch what the finished product will look like.

Bottom line, I want a slim-fitting solid color suit that's got some sheen and some flash, that will look like it could have just come off the Red-Carpet, or pulled out of one of the Rat-Pack's storage trunks. (for under $500).

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crash Override
I'm looking at the:
Black Day at the office- Nice wool, medium weight, bit of a sheen, but it's black and not a lot of sheen.
Essential charcoal- nice color, decent wool, but similar to my existing charcoal in color, and not a lot of sheen.
Metallic Grey- Really like the sheen of this suit, and I can picture this grey with a black shirt (which many here would likely hate, but it's polyester. and it's a bit hard to tell from the swatch what the finished product will look like.

Bottom line, I want a slim-fitting solid color suit that's got some sheen and some flash, that will look like it could have just come off the Red-Carpet, or pulled out of one of the Rat-Pack's storage trunks. (for under $500).

Sheen and flash? I would go with the Metallic Grey, it's crazy flashy. Rat-Pack? Essential Charcoal, it's classic. I don't think what you are saying is consistent. To me, you are talking the difference b/t whether I would laugh at you or compliment you if I saw you in public, but your preference is your preference.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
As someone who is 5'6" you'd still never catch me in a double breasted or a 3B. The rule should stand true for most users on this thread.
I find it remarkable how many people claim to apply classic rules, then conclude that whatever GQ recommends suits them. That said, given how haphazardly Indochino does its house cut, trying to make it vary from that is probably a recipe for disaster.

Crash Override

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Sheen and flash? I would go with the Metallic Grey, it's crazy flashy. Rat-Pack? Essential Charcoal, it's classic. I don't think what you are saying is consistent. To me, you are talking the difference b/t whether I would laugh at you or compliment you if I saw you in public, but your preference is your preference.

JB,
Have you seen the Metallic Grey in person? The Flashback looks "Crazy flashy" to me on the Indochino site. I probably should have gotten a swatch of the flashback fabric just to compare it to the Metallic Grey. I honestly didn't think I'd like the Metallic Grey until I got the Tailor's Kit, and I thought it looked really nice. (Still Polyester, though).
to try and be more clear, I like the look of some of the shinier suits I've seen (Joel McHale on "The Soup" comes to mind, but not like those $99.00 overstock.com jobs you see in banner ads), but I also like the classic cool of those slim, (often sharkskin) Sy Devore type suits you saw in the 60's.
If I was spending a couple of thousand dollars, I'd probably definitely go for the Essential charcoal type fabric, but for under $400, if it's too shiny to wear when trends change in a couple of years, I can replace it.

mjc

Reaction score
There's enough plastic in our lives. Just say NO to polyester!

- Mike

raphael__n

Reaction score
I'm just curious why you would hunt for sheen in a suit? I would think a well-dressed celebrity on the red-carpet would wear a bespoke made by a great tailor who would most likely not focus on flash/shiny material. Polyester is the last thing you would want in a suit. Drawing attention to yourself in a "flashy" manner will give people the wrong impression. I could see the metallic gray going to a nightclub, where such an outfit would be suitable or even considered "cool."

EDIT: Sorry, completely ignore that. I thought you were referring to the Metallic 3-piece tux. I was thinking to myself "why would you want that?!" Everything makes more sense now. Nonetheless, avoid getting polyester.

Crash Override

Reaction score
I'm just curious why you would hunt for sheen in a suit? I would think a well-dressed celebrity on the red-carpet would wear a bespoke made by a great tailor who would most likely not focus on flash/shiny material. Polyester is the last thing you would want in a suit. Drawing attention to yourself in a "flashy" manner will give people the wrong impression. I could see the metallic gray going to a nightclub, where such an outfit would be suitable or even considered "cool."

EDIT: Sorry, completely ignore that. I thought you were referring to the Metallic 3-piece tux. I was thinking to myself "why would you want that?!" Everything makes more sense now. Nonetheless, avoid getting polyester.

Yes, the Metallic tux looks very shiny, almost chrome-like!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads