• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drapers - good flannel cloths?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Bump in hopes of an update. Was this ever settled? Have people had things made in Drapers flannel, and how have they performed?

I haven't, but I was looking at the Drapers books yesterday and they looked pretty sweet.

- B

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone which Drapers books are of cloth made by Barbera. I came to know 2 days back that Drapers has a distributor in India and my tailor can get the cloth. Since Barbera is held in such high regrad here, I would love to use some Barbera for Drapers cloth for my next suit.

emptym

Reaction score
^another good Q.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I haven't, but I was looking at the Drapers books yesterday and they looked pretty sweet.
Thanks B. I'm asking bec. I looked at some swatches S. Ambrosi brought to SF yesterday and they looked great. I ride a motorcycle though, and he thought they wouldn't be very good for that, based on his own riding exp. I would like a pair or two of flannels though... In a search for Drapers flannels, this thread came up as well as a few posts by Manton listing good flannels, Drapers at the end of each list. Anyone else have any thoughts? Are all flannels relatively delicate and/or is the Drapers particularly delicate?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quite a few of drapers' flannels are made in the uk
and the mid-light weight ones i've seen are quite nice
i don't think that they are any more delicate than their equivalent in english books
it certainly would be more durable than a fox woolen for riding bikes
manton has one, ask him for his opinion

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
^another good Q.

Thanks B.

I'm asking bec. I looked at some swatches S. Ambrosi brought to SF yesterday and they looked great. I ride a motorcycle though, and he thought they wouldn't be very good for that, based on his own riding exp. I would like a pair or two of flannels though... In a search for Drapers flannels, this thread came up as well as a few posts by Manton listing good flannels, Drapers at the end of each list.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Are all flannels relatively delicate and/or is the Drapers particularly delicate?

I have a pair in light gray from the drapers book and its held up just fine.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bry2000
Drapers, I believe, is a jobber. I don't think they have their own mills. The quality of their cloths is top notch and very luxurious in many cases. I would order cloth from Drapers without hesitation.

Yes, they don't weave their own stuff. Quality is usually good. They sell both Italian and English stuff. The only Drapers cloth I'm not 100% happy with is a Shantung I had made up into a suit a couple of years ago: not very slubby or substantial.

emptym

Reaction score
^
Originally Posted by T4phage
quite a few of drapers' flannels are made in the uk
and the mid-light weight ones i've seen are quite nice
i don't think that they are any more delicate than their equivalent in english books
it certainly would be more durable than a fox woolen for riding bikes
manton has one, ask him for his opinion

Originally Posted by whnay.
I have a pair in light gray from the drapers book and its held up just fine.

Thanks guys. Maybe I should have gotten a pair. I ordered the tan and green cavalry twills and 500 gram, wide wale cords in beige.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super pissed at Drapers. Order a dark grey flannel cloth from their books which my tailor arranged through their Indian distributor. It was an Italian cloth in 9.5oz so I thought it would be OK weight wise for India. Cost was around 177 USD a meter. It arrived today and it is a VBC Supers 120s flannel cloth with the same selvedge as regular VBC cloth. The only difference is the Drapers tag instead of VBC tag. VBC flannel is 110 USD a meter in India. So basically paid 67 USD x 3.5 meters extra for the privilege of getting a Drapers tag.
ffffuuuu.gif

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Super pissed at Drapers.

Order a dark grey flannel cloth from their books which my tailor arranged through their Indian distributor. It was an Italian cloth in 9.5oz so I thought it would be OK weight wise for India. Cost was around 177 USD a meter.

It arrived today and it is a VBC Supers 120s flannel cloth with the same selvedge as regular VBC cloth. The only difference is the Drapers tag instead of VBC tag. VBC flannel is 110 USD a meter in India.

So basically paid 67 USD x 3.5 meters extra for the privilege of getting a Drapers tag.
ffffuuuu.gif

Wow!! You can buy Fox Flannel from the UK for about $45.00 USD per meter.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Really ? I think it was around 60 GBP a meter when Andrew was dealing in Fox. Plus shipping and customs.

mlongano

Reaction score
^^ Really ? I think it was around 60 GBP a meter when Andrew was dealing in Fox. Plus shipping and customs.
I purchased three suitings from Fox about three months ago, approximately five meters for each suit. Shipping was about $25.00. The total bill came to around $700.00. I believe the US duty can be avoided by keeping each transaction below the $250.00 threshold.

mlongano

Reaction score

The three suitings I purchased were Classic West of England flannels, 370/400 grams per ounce, 30 GBP per meter.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ How did you purchase them ? Direct ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks for that but I prefer to buy locally.

Anyways, I saw a Marzoni flannel s150s cloth in a grey blue color that I loved and will probably get made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads