• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Freestylin

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here. I'll be attending a rehearsal dinner in the near future - casual dress, no ties but no jeans, jacket optional - and I've got dark gray jacket I was hoping to wear. The color is similar to the one on the left here: http://m14.tmstatic.com/d/5/ml2/318813-P9047010.jpg

My question is, can I get away with wearing that with dark khaki pants and brown belt and shoes? Or is it a no-no to wear that dark of a jacket with brown shoes/belt?

If not, how about the same khakis with black belt and shoes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Why do stores sell corduroy pants only during the fall season? Is corduroy comfortable to wear year round?

Buffalonian

Reaction score
A pinstriped navy suit jacket of mine was ruined in India. It was sent out to be 'drycleaned' and came back wet, battered and shrunk from being handwashed in the river. It was not salvageable. But the pants were spared the holy waters of the Ganges and are just fine.

Is there any outfit that makes sense with navy pinstriped pants? Any thoughts on how/where/with what I might wear these pants. Everything I've tried looks odd.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Why do stores sell corduroy pants only during the fall season? Is corduroy comfortable to wear year round?

It's considered a fall and winter fabric becuase the wales make it quite warm for its weight. Weights vary, but for warmer weather you're much better off with a pair or chinos or linen or cotton trousers.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thrice
Could anyone give me a link to where I can buy some nice knit ties? Not high-end, but value for money would be great.
Land's End... These go on sale regularly for around $20-25. I picked up a red one at one point for about $19 I think. Sales a few times a year, just check back a few times. They're nothing special but they play the part.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/NarrowSil...6&origin=index

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freestylin
Hi all, first time poster here. I'll be attending a rehearsal dinner in the near future - casual dress, no ties but no jeans, jacket optional - and I've got dark gray jacket I was hoping to wear. The color is similar to the one on the left here: http://m14.tmstatic.com/d/5/ml2/318813-P9047010.jpg

My question is, can I get away with wearing that with dark khaki pants and brown belt and shoes? Or is it a no-no to wear that dark of a jacket with brown shoes/belt?

If not, how about the same khakis with black belt and shoes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I think you are fine with brown belt and shoes, but post a picture if you are not sure and see what people think.

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thrice
Could anyone give me a link to where I can buy some nice knit ties? Not high-end, but value for money would be great.

I've just bought (yet to receive) a couple of knit ties from pancho5000_0 on ebay which seemed quite good value.

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Why is pick stitching a casual detail ?
The formality of a garment is lessend (and the interest is often heightened) whenever a design element is visable. Think of the tuxedo - jet black, no pattern. When you incorporate stitching, patterns, color, different cuts or lines - all those elements add visual interest and reduce formality.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are Sebago penny loafers? Worth it for $150 ~?

mjHession

Reaction score
Please explain the meaning of a "sartorial look."

Is is simply a well fitted good look?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
How are Sebago penny loafers? Worth it for $150 ~?

A lot of people like Sebago's but I don't for the simple reason that the soles are glued on to the uppers. There are tons of other loafers out there that are full moccasain construction, or goodyear welted, or even blake rapid.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse

The issue I have is that apparently it provides very little, if any, level of water resistance. I tested it when I got home. For the price I paid, I didn't think I would get GOTEX level water proofing, but being that it is a trench coat I would expect it to be able to provide some basic water resistance. Since the price was good and I like everything else about it I am considering ways to add some water proofing. A spray or even perhaps a wax. Anyone have experience or advice with this? I think I may return it if it's a lost cause.
confused.gif

Look around your local hiking store for this spray or others like it.

Don't get the wash in waterproofers - those don't work too well. Also spray one spot of the underside of the coat to ensure the color is not affected.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads