• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEVER sell stuff to people you know

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allow me to rant:

Last year, I sold a set of textbooks to my roommate for a substantially reduced price (like $70 for $300 worth new, probably $150 old at least) since she was my roommate. You can probably see where this goes.

This year, she finds out they've switched to the new edition. She then has the audacity to ask me for a refund. She says maybe I can recover some money selling it online. She says something along the lines of how she's a poor student, and will have too buy a new book on top of what she paid me last year. Then she tacks it on the monthly utility bill and gives me the books, a month later.

In an ideal world, she would have the wherewithal to sell it herself and recover costs that way. What the **** else am I supposed to do? Of course I had to give her a refund. I have to live with her!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
What would eazy-e do?

I said BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH...

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most new editions of textbooks make very few changes, unless there have been drastic changes she can probably get by just fine with the old one.

Also surely she chose to buy the books from you? I mean she should have checked they were the ones she needed?
Still I can see it could be difficult.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The books are hers to deal with, not you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
What would eazy-e do?

I said BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH...

Thank you sir^^^^^^!
That's what I would do!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
Most new editions of textbooks make very few changes, unless there have been drastic changes she can probably get by just fine with the old one.

Also surely she chose to buy the books from you? I mean she should have checked they were the ones she needed?
Still I can see it could be difficult.

The professor published a new edition during the summer. Unforeseeable, but it should have been an assumed risk on her part. When she asked for her money back it really caught me off guard, since any reasonable adult would just take the loss.

Originally Posted by JayJay
The books are hers to deal with, not you.

I know. This isn't a thread asking for advice. It's a cautionary tale.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Hos and bitches, hos and bitches.

freeAgent

Reaction score
It's fine to sell stuff to people you know. You just need to know better people. As others have said, it's not your problem anymore and textbooks change very little from one revision to the next. Usually the only changes are to correct small errors that are hardly noticeable.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc

Professors are part of the Educational Industrial Complex, they force you to get the new book even if there are minimal changes.

OP, how does she look? Maybe you guys can work something out to get her money back.

juvefan

Reaction score
thanks to powerpoint i havent had to buy a textbook in years and proffs havent had to write anything on the board

aphextwin07

Reaction score
i hate to say it, but... sounds like your just a chump that doesn't know how to be an asshole when necessary. unless she's a 10/10 and also giving it up, then perhaps its a different story...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Allow me to rant:

Last year, I sold a set of textbooks to my roommate for a substantially reduced price (like $70 for $300 worth new, probably $150 old at least) since she was my roommate. You can probably see where this goes.

This year, she finds out they've switched to the new edition. She then has the audacity to ask me for a refund. She says maybe I can recover some money selling it online. She says something along the lines of how she's a poor student, and will have too buy a new book on top of what she paid me last year. Then she tacks it on the monthly utility bill and gives me the books, a month later.

In an ideal world, she would have the wherewithal to sell it herself and recover costs that way. What the **** else am I supposed to do? Of course I had to give her a refund. I have to live with her!

It's one thing if this happened weeks apart or maybe between semesters, but a whole year? I think I'd find a nice way to say "sorry but tough ****" (why didn't she think to consider that the class may require a different edition?? Unless you're swimming in money where does she expect you to find $70 sitting around to repay her?). Maybe treat her to a night out boozing on your tab or just giver her half back ($35) and don't do her any favors related to money again.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
i hate to say it, but... sounds like your just a chump that doesn't know how to be an asshole when necessary. unless she's a 10/10 and also giving it up, then perhaps its a different story...

laugh.gif
Spot on.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you misled her into thinking she could use the books this year, taking them back is a chump move. It's not that hard to talk to her like an adult and tell her to deal with her own junk assets. Seriously, why are you letting your roommate push you around like that? The poor student **** is invalid when used on other students.

Ugh, reading the OP made me mad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads