• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
I received bags with every pair. Where did you get them?
I got them from the local swapmeet.

biggrin.gif
JK. I got them from Shoemart.

I asked my friend this as well. He has 2 pairs of Indy's, ordered straight from Alden. He got the bags with the first pair, but not with the 2nd.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just got a pair of Indy's (standard 405's) in. What do you guys recommend, polish or wax? Also, what color Saphir do you think would go best with the brown: http://www.francos.com/items/index.a...19042&catID=71
Wanted to take another crack at this one. I finally found the Renovatur in stock somewhere and wanted to pick up a nice polish/wax to go with it. Anyone recommend a Saphir brown color to go with the standard Indy 405's?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I got them from the local swapmeet.

biggrin.gif
JK. I got them from Shoemart.

I asked my friend this as well. He has 2 pairs of Indy's, ordered straight from Alden. He got the bags with the first pair, but not with the 2nd.

I didn't get bags with my first pair of Indy's. That was a couple of years ago when they were part of the foot balance line. Other than that I've gotten bags for each pair of Aldens.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
Alden offers a tan, snuff and brown suede. (i think)
from what i remember, and unfortunately what doesn't seem to currently be available, the chukka the shoemart offers is available in all three variations, all with accurate pics on their website. maybe email them and ask for pic of their tan?

thanks, if the shoe mart's site has accurate pics, that's all I needed to know

monologuist

Reaction score
I received a pair of 9D Chromexcel Indy's from J.Crew today.
A few observations for those who are interested:

1. Sizing: Compared to the 9D Leather Soul Jumper boots I have which a re also Trubalance last, the feel slightly bigger. In fact, I would say the J.Crew in this 9D feels almost as big as the 9.5D in the Jumper Boot (which is what I ended up getting). Not sure why the discrepancy...perhaps the design of the toebox upper? Anyway, just confirms to me that you can not always translate the sizes between models of the same last.

2. Beautiful boot. Look better in person even than pics. Welt is stained a darker color than other Chromexcel Indys I have seen pics of. This is somewhat of a significant detail, IMO, as it kind of makes the whole boot a bit more monochromatic, which I personally like (except the white stitching of course)

3. There seems to be a bit of disparity in where the contrast toebox seams are stitched between the left and right shoe. On one boot, the stitching at the tip is a bit more squared off, and veers towards the inside edge of the shoe more than the other one. As a result the toebox looks like it is leaning slightly inwards towards the big toe on that boot. Now this may just be typical for an Indy boot...just slight manufacturing tolerances due to being handmade?

FYI, J.Crew online would not let me use an Academic discount on this product...I had read some posts where people succeeded in doing so...is there something I'm missing?

joz411no

Reaction score
I'm sure it's the toebox. My indy boots fit wider than my jumpers as well. I can fit an orthodic in the indys but not the jumpers. Still love 'em both though. Don't know if I'd size down for the indys though.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it might have something to do with the chromexcel leather too. I ordered the same boot in an 11.5, same size as my 405 Indy and my Context Tanker boots, and it was much too large. Ended up returning them. Then I found some Roy boots in an 11 at Context and tried them on, they are at least as big as my 11.5 405s in most ways, though maybe just shy of that in the actual length. They are a much looser fit on the upper shaft section though and through most of the main volume of the shoe. Very strange so I wonder if it's a Chromexcel thing. Love my Roys though and sizing down 1/2 to 11 has worked out very well for me on them.

monologuist

Reaction score
Maybe it is the Chromexcel leather. Perhaps the leather does not conform as tightly to the last due to thickness or stiffness? It does feel incredibly substantial. Then again, I thought Shell Cordovan sometimes ends up being slightly higher volume due to its resistance to stretching? Or so I was told at LSBH.

Now that I think of it, I don't think it is just the toebox discrepancy between the Jumper and the Indy, because I've got the laces tied almost to max. tightness around the instep and ankle on both the 9D Indy and the 9.5D Jumper. The 9D Jumper on the other hand, the lacing was more spaced out all the way around.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
You guys may be onto something. My chromexcel Indys do fit a bit looser than my black calf Indys. All 11D

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna sell these on the B&S forum but wanted to share the pics here first. Sorry to the mods if this is considered spam, just thought everyone would like to see some aged cigar and whiskey. Please keep all sales questions on the B&S forum. Thanks!

css1.jpg

ww1.jpg

ct1-2.jpg

monologuist

Reaction score
Unfortunately, just as I was about to wear the J.Crew Indy's out of the house for the first time, I noticed that I keep having trouble lacing the left boot up around the top speedlace hooks. The laces were slipping off one of the hooks. Then I realized that the hooks did not line up at the same height between the two sides of the shaft of the boot. I had not realized this before as I was lacing them just by wrapping the whole lace around the shaft once out of laziness. Taking the boots off, I realized that the problem was that one side of the boot is actually higher than the other! If you look at it straight on from the heel, it is easy to see that the right side of the left boot is a good 1/2 to 3/4" higher than the left side. It is even more obvious when you put the left and right boot together on the floor (the right one seems even). In fact the entire left boot, in addition to being uneven, is at least 1/2" taller than the right boot as well.

Luckily I shouldn't have a problem returning them to J.Crew, but WTF? The uneven contrast stitching was one thing...mostly cosmetic...but this is BS...what I would expect out of a pair of seconds maybe. I was skeptical about the reportedly suspect QC of some of these Aldens...especially J.Crew, but now...

It's a shame because they really look (and feel) great otherwise.

hexproof

Reaction score
Does Alden make a kudo leather belt? I'm trying to find a belt to match my Alden kudu leather boots.

shasta

Reaction score
Look what just showed up from blackbird - The Alden Beefroll Penny Moc in Burgundy. Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics - I'm at work
smile.gif

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Racing Green

Reaction score
How's the sizing on the Beefroll Penny Moc? It's next on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads