• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guitarpkr76
Nice. Where did you find that pic of the last place you posted? The haunted looking place.

I don't have any info for that building, sorry. I am very curious about it too.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guitarpkr76
tumblr_l6dxfoEAtn1qcipy4.jpg
Sorry to ask this again, but does anybody have any info on this place? I tried checking the picture properties to no avail.

That's the church Notre Dame of Royan in France (completed in 1958). The original church and much of Royan were destroyed by bombings during WW2, allowing for an almost complete rebuilding of the town with a pretty heavy modernist bent.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ OMG well, churches built by atheists will look like that- triste, ugly, depressing...noone would want to celebrate mass in such a structure and that is exactly what its architects seemed to have in mind when designing it (if they had anything in mind at all).

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sipang
That's the church Notre Dame of Royan in France (completed in 1958). The original church and much of Royan were destroyed by bombings during WW2, allowing for an almost complete rebuilding of the town with a pretty heavy modernist bent.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing there's a little photoshop action in this pic.

jellywerker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Here's more Pawson. [...]
Chelsea House

09201_061017_059D.jpg

I know this post is fairly old, but I wanted to chime in and say that I absolutely love this. I think it is absolutely, utterly fantastic.

I don't know much about architecture (yet) but I just love how it echoes older designs yet remains steadfastly modern, without looking tacky like so many other architectural reproductions and homages.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Speaking of John Pawson, I think he is the only architect who has written a cookbook for the people eating meals in his architecture.

41ND29A0Z8L._SS400_.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
didn't Frank Lloyd Wright design the clothing for people to wear in one of his buildings?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I've heard he did some dress designs, but I've never seen them.

Pinhas

Reaction score
I know that he designed furniture for his buildings and forced the occupants to use them.

jellywerker

Reaction score
@Pinhas: probably here

That he forced people to use his furniture is interesting, and fairly ballsy I'd say.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
3186083426_e200127f5d_z.jpg
3465370028_910661e7d0.jpg

runner-guy

Reaction score
Just a few of Detroit's beautiful architecture masterpieces.

Michigan Central Depot (beautiful building but abandoned for decades)
P1010677.jpg

Wayne County Courthouse
Detroit78.jpg

Fisher Building
Fisher_Building_Detroit.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Six competition proposals for the Victoria & Albert Museum in Dundee, Scotland. #1 Sutherland Hussey from Scotland
dzn_vam-dundee01_1000.jpg
#2 REX Architects from the U.S.
dzn_vam-dundee04_1000.jpg
#3 Snohetta from Denmark
dzn_vam-dundee03_1000.jpg
#4 Kengo Kuma of Japan
dzn_vam-dundee05_1000.jpg
#5 Delugan Meissl Associated Architects from Germany
dzn_vam-dundee06_1000.jpg
#6 Steven Holl of the U.S.
dzn_vam-dundee02_1000.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads