• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unknowinglyforgotten
kenneth cole reaction lmao...two buttons came off within a month or two of wear, had to resew them. It has a more older cut to it I think, and I'm quite young (
blush.gif
) so I think something more modernized would fit my style better. Something like that ToJ peacoat, but with a constricted budget.

Nothing wrong with a classically styled peacoat. If you're looking for a more modern cut there are some decent examples floating around this thread.

Lemieux

Reaction score
Since my searches for "peacoat" and "Sterlingwear" directed me to this thread, I figure that I'll ask a variation of a popular SF question.

I plan to purchase the Sterlingwear Authentic Pea Coat. The recommendation in this thread seems to be to either order according to the sizing guide or to drop one size down according to the sizing guide.

The sizing guide says I should order a 42. Would a 40 be pushing it? I'd like the fit to be trim but with enough room to add a layer or two.

Also, given my height, does anyone have any advice whether I should order a short or a regular length?

Here are my stats:
Height = 5'6"-5'7"
Chest = 40"
Waist = 39"
Hips = 40"
Weight = 185 lbs

Pngwyn

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I gave my Kenneth Cole Reaction peacoat to my brother since I didn't really like the fit so I'm in the market for a nice black peacoat for the winter. My budget is pretty low, probably looking at $75-150, not looking for anything amazing quality, but something decent/sturdy for the price that I can pop the collar on xD

Any suggestions?

joei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pngwyn
Hey guys.. I gave my Kenneth Cole Reaction peacoat to my brother since I didn't really like the fit so I'm in the market for a nice black peacoat for the winter. My budget is pretty low, probably looking at $75-150, not looking for anything amazing quality, but something decent/sturdy for the price that I can pop the collar on xD

Any suggestions?

uniqlo <~

ebay <~

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pngwyn

Any suggestions?

Dunderdon & J Crew.

If you can lift your budget to $200-250 some way better options open up.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lemieux
Since my searches for "peacoat" and "Sterlingwear" directed me to this thread, I figure that I'll ask a variation of a popular SF question.

I plan to purchase the Sterlingwear Authentic Pea Coat. The recommendation in this thread seems to be to either order according to the sizing guide or to drop one size down according to the sizing guide.

The sizing guide says I should order a 42. Would a 40 be pushing it? I'd like the fit to be trim but with enough room to add a layer or two.

Also, given my height, does anyone have any advice whether I should order a short or a regular length?

Here are my stats:
Height = 5'6"-5'7"
Chest = 40"
Waist = 39"
Hips = 40"
Weight = 185 lbs

You should definitely get a 40 and I think a regular would be fine... the length isn't much different but the sleeve length is a bit short on the 'short'.

I'm a 38 and I got a 36 Sterlingwear, I think I could have dropped down another size too.

I think a 40 would work for you.

Pngwyn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Dunderdon & J Crew. If you can lift your budget to $200-250 some way better options open up.
What brands would I be looking at for $200-250? I might just hold off and save some since it's not winter yet anyways. And what's your definition of "better"?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of this Navy Peacoat from Indochino?

I have a failed Grey Overcoat I need to remake and they will allow any new material I want.

http://www.indochino.com/product/The_Navy_Peacoat

Also I notice most Peacoats are short? I wear about a 30" suit jacket/blazer I have 18" shoulders 38" chest.

How long should my Peacoat be?

Green_Pinguin

Reaction score
Hi

I`m searching for a black, more modern looking peacoat, with a slightly tailored fit, that holds
me really warm these winter. I want spending about 100 $. What would you recommend me? Thanks for your help!

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
monitaly-riders-coat-wool-fall-2010-1.png
My favorite <3 900 bucks
frown.gif

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

I have a failed Grey Overcoat I need to remake and they will allow any new material I want.

Also I notice most Peacoats are short? I wear about a 30" suit jacket/blazer I have 18" shoulders 38" chest.

It has a belt, that seems very odd to me.

Ren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

I don't like the top button placement at all. Looks like man boobs!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads