• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Brunoise an Apple?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Dumb question OK, but still. After it's peeled and cored I have four sort of crescent moon shapes. What am I supposed to do?

I can't just cut it into a cube and then planks, etc, because that would leave the core and the core has to come out, right?

fack.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
No, you just peel it and then start cutting it thinly. When you get to the core, switch sides. This will leave two crescent moon sides and two rectangle sides (hard to visualize for me, but that it how it happens). Then you will have the core left in the middle with all the sides cut away. From there, you will have to cut them into the julienne strips and then trim the ends to make them flush. It makes quite a bit of waste if you want a perfect brunoise, which I can only assume you do.

Obviously there are many ways to skin a cat. You can still do it the way you've started, ie, coring and then cutting. But no matter what, to turn a round object into many square objects is going to produce a lot of waste.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Dumb question OK, but still. After it's peeled and cored I have four sort of crescent moon shapes. What am I supposed to do? I can't just cut it into a cube and then planks, etc, because that would leave the core and the core has to come out, right? fack.
Peel it first, then cut into requisite size (lengthwise till core). You can then julienne into planks, trim edges and complete the brunoise. Quartering the apple will produce a lot of waste and will be extremely difficult to make an even brunoise.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Quartering the apple will produce a lot of waste and will be extremely difficult to make an even brunoise.
Why? If you quarter out the core then lay the sides flat you can julienne from there and just lop off the short ends to get your pieces square.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It makes quite a bit of waste if you want a perfect brunoise, which I can only assume you do.

you can have it with your müsli...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Why? If you quarter out the core then lay the sides flat you can julienne from there and just lop off the short ends to get your pieces square.
they won't be straight... you wan't flat pieces. It will also be quite a bit more difficult. Why bother with the core at all? Just cut around making even pieces until you hit the core. There is absolutely no reason to bother with the core at all. Why would you chop off pieces then hack at them in a much more dangerous way, taking away your stability (the core), makes no sense.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
they won't be straight... you wan't flat pieces. It will also be quite a bit more difficult. Why bother with the core at all? Just cut around making even pieces until you hit the core. There is absolutely no reason to bother with the core at all. Why would you chop off pieces then hack at them in a much more dangerous way, taking away your stability (the core), makes no sense.
Sure they'll be flat. If you stand the apple up on its bottom and cut a very thin square around the core you're left with 4 flat pieces. If you lop off the rounded top and the sides you're left with a nice rectangle chunk. Can't you julienne with that?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have like a thousand apples in the fridge. What should I do with them?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
But no matter what, to turn a round object into many square objects is going to produce a lot of waste.
teacha.gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol

Pies.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Sure they'll be flat. If you stand the apple up on its bottom and cut a very thin square around the core you're left with 4 flat pieces. If you lop off the rounded top and the sides you're left with a nice rectangle chunk. Can't you julienne with that?
THere's just absolutely no reason to core the apple first. You'll produce more waste that way, because cores aren't perfectly symmetrical. And once again, if you use proper knife technique, the core is your stability.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol

Same problem. Wife and child went to some damned orchard and broght back a gunny sack full.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, it worked but as noted there was lot of waste. Thankfully I had plenty.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Same problem. Wife and child went to some damned orchard and broght back a gunny sack full.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, it worked but as noted there was lot of waste. Thankfully I had plenty.

next time go yourself, its a lot of fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads