• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties: Worn without coat?

Stephonomon

Reaction score
Hey there.

I'm thinking about getting my first bow tie, but I am a little unsure about what to wear them with. At my job we typically wear slacks, collard shirts, and ties. No one wears a full suit or even a sport coat. I can't find many looks online with people wearing a bow tie without some sort of coat or v-neck sweaters. Is it impossible to wear a bow tie in replacement of my tie?

Please respond only if you are a fan of bow ties, no haters please.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Plenty of people I know wear bowties with their collared shirt of choice (oxford, flannel, etc.), with no coat over it.

Others will slap a bowtie on with a polo.
facepalm.gif

gregor

Reaction score
I worked in an office this summer that was very business casual on the floor I worked on and some days I would wear a bow tie without a jacket and it looked okay, it just looked kind of naked. I would try a lightweight v neck sweater or cardigan instead of going without a jacket.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stephonomon
Hey there.

I'm thinking about getting my first bow tie, but I am a little unsure about what to wear them with. At my job we typically wear slacks, collard shirts, and ties. No one wears a full suit or even a sport coat. I can't find many looks online with people wearing a bow tie without some sort of coat or v-neck sweaters. Is it impossible to wear a bow tie in replacement of my tie?

Please respond only if you are a fan of bow ties, no haters please.

bow ties are nice. you dont have to wear some for of outerwear to rock a bow tie.

here ya go bro

how-to-wear-bow-tie-0209-lg.jpg

besides even if someone wears a suit jacket with it, eventually they take it off at work...

Rock the bow tie!

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
I actually think if you have to be coatless a bowtie looks better than a regular tie.

I agree.

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet
bow ties are nice. you dont have to wear some for of outerwear to rock a bow tie.

here ya go bro

how-to-wear-bow-tie-0209-lg.jpg

besides even if someone wears a suit jacket with it, eventually they take it off at work...

Rock the bow tie!

I like bow ties, but this does not look good IMO.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei

pic is from esquire. there definitely are better ways to style a bow tie.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei

100% disagree. This looks very classy.

aon

Reaction score
Check out pictures from this website www.closeupandprivate.com

The model seems to wear a bow tie a lot. I'm sure there's a photo there of a bow tie without a jacket or sweater

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edlarnold
Bow tie without jacket?

..just feels wrong.

+1...

mic

Reaction score
That look is fine.

If you like it, rock it!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I wear one about 1 or 2 times a week...with and without a jacket. And when I wear a jacket, it usually comes off within an hour anyway. I say its fine....go for it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads