• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best entry level MTM in and around NYC

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm inquiring for a good friend of mine. He just got a job in Manhattan which he is starting soon. He is unhappy with his current selection of suits and shirts. He is interested in dabbling in the world of MTM to see if it is for him. He is a large man (i.e. size 48 or 50) with some stomach. He is not likely going to be able to lose very much weight during his job, but he is still not satisfied with the way his clothes fit him at the moment.

What is a good shop in Manhattan that offers made to measure services at an entry level price? What would an entry level price be? $100 a shirt? $500 a suit? I'm not familiar with the prices, and I'd really like to advise him further. He is open to spending some money, but again, he wants to test the services before he converts his wardrobe to MTM, which I have a feeling that he'll do after he realizes how much better it will fit him. He would like to try something in lower end of the price range first, before moving up. Any advice is appreciated!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CEGO Shirts - lowest end fabrics can be had for $110 per shirt.

Mr Ned Suits - can be had for $850 per suit.

$500 MTM is not happening in NYC. Maybe in LA with Thick as Thieves, but that will not be the aesthetic your friend will want, trust me, not at his size.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CEGO sounds comparable to the MTM here in Austin, which is good.

Mr. Ned sounds like it will be fine too, but I'd still like to see if anyone is familiar with any other options.

Thank you Don Daddy.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump, I'd like to hear about some more MTM suit makers in the NYC area, even NJ. Not just Manhattan this time. Think entry level or low end MTM. Thanks again.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Bump, I'd like to hear about some more MTM suit makers in the NYC area, even NJ. Not just Manhattan this time. Think entry level or low end MTM. Thanks again.

Good idea of thinking New Jersey. NYC is one of the fashion capitals of the world. Posh Clients= Higher prices

Think Connecticut, New Jersey (in my best guido accent), Pennsylvania

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there is Mysuit. for $500 it is not a work of art, it is all machined and half canvassed i think. but
if the the person taken measurments is any good it should fit a larger man better then OTR.

for a few hundred more Mr. Ned will deliver a better garment that will fit

some of the Indian run chinese made garments are OK, but they all want to sell you packages.
so if the three suits for $1500 dont fit that well, you are wearing three suits that dont fit that well.
also at the lower price points they run the shirts suits through the cheap workroom and not the better workroom.

empirestate

Reaction score
Any suggestions for mtm sports coats in NYC? I've got a big drop (10-11 inches) and think this may be the way to go. Also needs to be cotton, as I'm allergic to wool (dry throat, watery eyes, runny nose, etc.)

How much would a mtm sports coat go for? I'd rather pay extra for something done right that I'd like and wear then just the cheapest.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by empirestate
Any suggestions for mtm sports coats in NYC? I've got a big drop (10-11 inches) and think this may be the way to go. Also needs to be cotton, as I'm allergic to wool (dry throat, watery eyes, runny nose, etc.)

How much would a mtm sports coat go for? I'd rather pay extra for something done right that I'd like and wear then just the cheapest.

Mr. Ned has lots of corduroy in stock

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Noted

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconding Mr. Ned and CEGO. I think they're exactly what your friend is looking for.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mytailor.com will do a single suit at around your friend's price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads