• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Radagast
Question. Sorry if this has been touched on already.

I purchased a bottle of wine a couple weeks back and when I opened it the other night it had clearly gone bad.

Does one typically swallow the cost on this or do you take it back to the wine seller? At $35 for the bottle the cost didn't sting much but if this starts happening regularly it will add up.

Take it back. It's a good way to judge if this is a good vendor or not.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Take it back. It's a good way to judge if this is a good vendor or not.

+1

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice daily drinker Vacq. Nothing special, but got better with a two hour decant. $18.

castellas.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Just for gomey. Took a break on Friday afternoon to go to a quick, in store tasting. Tried this, liked it, bought a bottle: 2008 Conti di Buscareto Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi. Crisp, some floral notes, got a little pencil lead.

Nice, this has my approval. I like the Verdicchios and buy them relatively frequently. Great values IMO.

I had some solid wines at dinner Friday, I'll post some details shortly.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While watching the Saints on MNF: 90 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. It's hard to beat aged vintage bubbly.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Opened up a bottle of 2000 Palomero Ribera del Duero. This is the 2nd of 2 bottles of this I picked up on WTSO earlier in the year. Very big and perfumy red. Lots of spice and black fruit. This bottle seemed better than I remember the first one being. Not sure if its worth the full $75 I've seen it for in the stores, but for the $44 off WTSO it was really good.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
While watching the Saints on MNF: 90 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. It's hard to beat aged vintage bubbly.

Wow! Thats some good juice.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
last night I was with some friends so we decided to go to Daniel for some snacks. So we did, and added some Rose champagne to the mix (for the life of me I don't remember what it was). Part of the way through DB joined us at our table, more food came ... and I missed my gym appointment this morning.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went to a wine dinner last night at Mi Piaci in Dallas, co-sponsored by Candoni wines. They had a delightful young lady from the Candoni family there representing the winery and telling us about the various wine pairings. You've probably seen their wines in the stores, they have the Etruscan style paintings on the bottles. The young lady told us that her mother does all the paintings that they use on the labels.

The menu and pairings are below. Obviously all wines are from Candoni, did not get the vintages on the vintage wines...sorry.

Apertivo: Passed Canapes consisting of Arancini, Warm brie and roasted pear crostinis, and truffled wild mushroom tarlets (AWESOME!). Pairing: Prosecco

Antipasto: Torta alla Granchio (marinated crab cakes on wilted spinach with red pepper aoli). Pairing: Pinot Grigio

Primo: Gimelli con Salsiccia y Finocchio (wrapped pasta with sweet house made Italian sausage, wild mushrooms and toasted fennel corn). Pairing: Chianti

Secondo: Filetto al Forno (Roasted filet of beef in red wine reduction with fingerling potatoes). Pairing: Merlot

Formaggio: Assortment of cheeses and dried fruits. Pairing: Moscato di Italia.

Impressions: I didn't take detailed notes or anything, so these are just my general impressions on the wines. For both my date and I the highlights of the night were the Prosecco and the Chianti. Those were really the only wines that we had that I would seek out from this producer, and I believe that those would generally be considered their specialties. The Prosecco was really nice. It was probably my favorite wine of the night. The Chianti was fragrant and interesting. Very well balanced and was a good complement to the pasta course.

The Merlot and the Pinot Grigio could best be described as non-descript. This was particularly disappointing with the Merlot given that the beef course was so incredible that I was really begging for a better pairing. In the end, I actually got a refill of the Chianti and didn't really finish my Merlot. The PG, I can't even tell you anything about. It was that forgettable.

The Moscato I really tried to like. In the end though it was just too cloying for my tastes. I like a lighter style Moscato and this was not that. The blue cheese pairing helped a bit, but it was still just too overpowering to be enjoyable. The winery rep mentioned that this was their first effort sourcing the Muscato grapes for this. It needs more work.

In the end, the wines were probably what you might expect from a winery producing wines at this price point. Given my expectations though I was happy to be so impressed by at least a couple of them. I will definitely seek out the Prosecco and the Chianti again.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
last night I was with some friends so we decided to go to Daniel for some snacks. So we did, and added some Rose champagne to the mix (for the life of me I don't remember what it was). Part of the way through DB joined us at our table, more food came ... and I missed my gym appointment this morning.

notworthy.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice write up, Mark. Sounds like a good b-day dinner.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh, and I have a pass to see a demonstration by Adrian Adria this evening, but I'll probably be stuck in the office for most of the night
ffffuuuu.gif

Nice dinner, Mark, looks fun. And your PG experience pretty much reflects my impressions. I don't think I've bought one in years.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
oh, and I have a pass to see a demonstration by Adrian Adria this evening, but I'll probably be stuck in the office for most of the night
ffffuuuu.gif

Nice dinner, Mark, looks fun. And your PG experience pretty much reflects my impressions. I don't think I've bought one in years.

Give pass to me, problem solved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads