• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No threads about this within the last few years, curious about their products.

I bought a pair of wingtips from them. I was at the mall(another story) looking for wingtips and looked everywhere, including some high end designer and department stores. I saw maybe 2 pairs in 10 stores! As I was walking out I saw the hugo boss store so I went in. They have some great stuff but there was one pair of lighter brown wingtips at the end of the rack, they were exactly what I was looking for.

Now knowing a whole lot about shoes, I thought they were really nice. They are leather soled, but I'm not sure if they're glued or what. The salesmen said he thought they were stitched, but wasn't sure. They have no visible stitches, which is why I wasn't sure either. From a pure visual standpoint they look glued and stamped to appear stitched.

They were $245. I haven't worn them so I can' obviously return them if need be.

What do you guys think?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are they made -- Italy, India? The HB shoes I have seen did not seem very well make to me. You can find better made AEs on sale for that price or less.

Twotone

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I would recommend shoes from dedicated shoe manufacturers rather than designer shoes. However, if they look nice, fit well and the price is OK - why not. I suppose many SF members would call Boss pure crap. Everything is relative though, if Boss is crap then what is those cheap China-made shoes from the mall?

You might want to see my Hugo Boss shoe post in the thread Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss? (the link takes you directly to the relevant post). I have a pair of Italy made loafers and they have served me well for almost 8 years.

pkiula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thrice
I have not worn shoes by Hugo Boss, but I prefer buying shoes from brands that specialize in shoes.
www.herringshoes.co.uk
www.pediwear.co.uk

Lovely websites. Just that I prefer a more Italian cut (longer, slender). Do you know of any such websites that aggregate the top Italian shoes?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that a recent HB thread for some reason turned into a HB shoe thread. In any case:
I have no problem stating what I said there: I actually bought two pairs of HB shoes, one pair of black ankle boots and one pair of monkstraps. I had no problems with durability, they seemed to hold on well, but I gave them away for fit reasons, to blame on me and not on HB. Both pairs were made in Italy (at least, that was what some labels said).
I also have two pairs of HB sneakers. Regular sneaker quality, I would say. I mean, more or less in line with the price I paid for them.
The price? Just about what you pay for similar quality stuff of other brands, I would say.
Now, I haven't bought any HB footwear since I found Santoni. Both the dress Fatte a Mano ones as the sneakers. But that is just me.

GBer

Reaction score
Depends on where you are located. But for $245, IMO you can find better quality shoes than Hugo. Lower end AEs come to mind. Also look on B&S and the bay. You might be lucky depending on your size.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before my SF days I bought a pair of Hugo Boss loafers for $200 at Nordstrom. I liked the styling a lot and I still wear them. I think I've put them on about 10-15 times so far and there's very little sign of wear. It seems like the quality is decent at least. However, I did notice that they crease more and faster than some of the more expensive British shoes. Nothing that would make me dislike them, though. I say, if you like how they look - they are well worth their money. After all, it's not all about quality, but also about the satisfaction that you get from wearing a pair of shoes. If they bring you sartorial pleasure, then they are worth $200+.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
My personal experience with boss shoes is that the first time I wore them in the rain the leather on one side of the heel of one of the shoes got very wrinkly and was essentially ruined. I was stuck somewhere and had to walk home in the rain, not ideal but a decent shoe should survive it no problem. This shoe did not, I'm guessing it has something to do with the water softening up the leather and because of bad balance, when I walked in it it pulled in one direction and that was it.

Those were the first (and shall certainly be the last) boss shoes I had so that's the only experience I can speak of for myself. I have however had friends who have told me about soles falling off and stuff like that. And I'm not talking about topy-soles they put on themselves, I mean the factory made sole was glued on and simply came off while they were wearing the shoe. I think this was after about 6 months, so it might be excuseable in a $50 shoe, but for a $300+ I think it's absurd. Much better quality is certainly obtainable at a lower price, and quite frankly I have no idea how boss manages to sell this crap at the prices they demand.

To be fair I had a Boss messenger bag that I was quite happy with. Used it daily for about 4 years before the metal connecting the strap and the actual bag just snapped. Carried heavy books back and forth, and the leather (black pebblegrain) stayed much nicer than I initially thought it might after my experience with the shoes. Never saw a loose stitch on it after about 4x365 daily uses, but then again I guess the metal isn't supposed to break either, so that'd be the minus.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pair and no regrets.
No one on Styleforum has ever yet been able to tell us where Hugo Boss dress shoes are made;
specifically, the name of the manufacturer.
Their quality is on par with AE and sometimes a notch higher, but all are over-priced.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
ahh yes the proverbial i wore it once and it was ruined hugo boss posting.

No I didn't wear them once before ruining them, I wore them a good few times. Then I wore them once in the rain for about 1-1.5 hours and THAT ruined them.

Do you want photographic evidence or something?

I'm not going to comment on what other people post about their hugo boss stuff, it could be my shoes were representative, or it could be that they were the anomaly. I can't do more than relay my experience. From what I saw happen to mine, it appears that the water made the leather move a bit, and the leather on one side of the heel-seam moved more than the other, thus I got wrinkles/stretchmarks/whatever on one side of that heel. That's not a judgement on everything hugo boss, it's just what happened, and it gave me a very bad experience, making me sceptical about comming back for more. I don't know what else to say.

If this is a cliche, maybe there's a reason for it. It could be I was unluckier than most and that their bad rep is negative hype, or maybe it's well deserved.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curiously their shoes is of the better garments that HB makes and the reason must be that are made in Italy , I guess by a good factory.

trader

Reaction score
I have a pair and I think theyre aight. My only regret is that I bought them pre-sf so I paid full retail. I remember them coming to over 500 CAD lol. It was a close race between those and a patent leather pair of Prada derbies so I guess it could've been much worse. Now I just use them as beaters for nights out where there's going to be lots of heels stepping on me and drinks spilt. They still look pretty good. I think 200 for them wouldve been okay.

And of course there's always someone that suggests buying AE. Someone who likes a sleeker italian last has 0 interest in some clunky AEs (sorry Vox)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads