• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a great pair of loafers?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, a good pair of loafers comes down completely to the quality of the leather. C&J loafers are very light and soft, which mean they are extremely comfortable.

mrbig

Reaction score
I agree. If I could afford it, I'd get Lobb penny loafers; their leathers are fantastic. Church's are pretty nice too.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
1. They're usually quick and easy
2. They look good with anything from a suit to jeans and a Belstaff
3. Michael Jackson wore them. 'Nuff Said.

However; where can one buy Bass-esque loafers that aren't Corrected Grain?

I have a Polo version that I got cheap on ebay. Not sure if they have them every season.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howardu09
Your opinion should really be the most important when it comes to how you spend your $$$
"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted by IndianaGeo
I recently bought a pair of Church's Darwin loafers.
I might have to get a pair of those just because I like the name so much.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
The english don't know how to make penny loafers, those are way too pretentious.
I'm sorry to hear you say that. I find myself staring longingly at the Mertons. In fact, I drooled just a little.

Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
This thread just reinforces my belief: seen one loafer, seen them all.
I agree with you for the most part. The differences are indeed subtle -- perhaps even unnoticeable -- except to SF members and other connoisseurs of fine footwear.

What I've learned so far from this thread is that the feature I dislike most about the the iconic American penny loafer is its rounded toe, which I think would look silly and truncating on a man of my tall, slim build. That's probably why I'm drawn to the Mertons (above) and to the pair of Boss loafers that I already own. They feature longer toe boxes that balance with my height.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
I certainly will admit to being a big fan of the Penny loafer aesthetic. A simple, unpretentious shoe that can be worn (by the right individual anyway) with anything from jeans to a tux (As Cary Grant had a habit of doing), and over time, forms into a slipper. It's a very democratic shoe.

I'll shut up now.

Well said. Don't shut up.

Originally Posted by Guero
As for threadbearer's "no love" for his loafers issue, a sentiment I agree with, his particular dress sensibility in WAYWRN would benefit from the use of the more stylized dress loafers (of which his particular loafers are a poor example -- no offense TB) than the more tradly American versions above.
No offense taken, Guero. In fact, I deeply appreciate your frank assessment. Thanks, man.
fistbump.gif

Help me understand what you mean, though, when you say that my style would benefit from a more stylized loafer. I would think that you'd judge my black Hugo Boss loafers too stylized already, so what, in your mind, would constitute a more stylized loafer that would better suit what you've seen so far in my WAYWRN posts?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Michael Jackson wore them. 'Nuff Said.
Really?
facepalm.gif
However; where can one buy Bass-esque loafers that aren't Corrected Grain?
And to make matters worse, there's corrected grain leather and then there's "bonded" (corrected grain) leather. What's a feller to do?!

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Really?
facepalm.gif

And to make matters worse, there's corrected grain leather and then there's "bonded" (corrected grain) leather.

What's a feller to do?!

michael-jackson-moonwalk-main_Full.jpg

Ofcourse MJ RIP King of Pop rocked loafer en pointe at that!!!!!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet
Ofcourse MJ RIP King of Pop rocked loafer en pointe at that!!!!!
Sorry, I was being a little sarcastic...hence the face palm. I don't think he was the "be all and end all" of men's style by any means especially when you consider the androgynous, Peter Pan affectation.

mrbig

Reaction score
He did inspire a fair bit of the 'haute couture' we see, especially the military stuff. Despite my strong allegiance to tailoring, I did try to have a military jacket made by Magnoli, those of the current youth generation would use these words to describe his work : EPIC FAIL.

I will say though, some of his suits were very nicely cut, very Savile Row but made in L.A. - that restores my faith in American Tailoring.

Back to the topic: Bonded Corrected Grain? never even heard of it!

I think the OP would find some WAYWRN love for his loafers if they were either

a) Weejun style
or
b) Quite sleek, built on something like a C&J 337 last or a JL 8000. I saw a pair of Church's on Herring Shoes that looked quite nice, didn't pull the trigger though.

kohelet

Reaction score
He did inspire a fair bit of the 'haute couture' we see, especially the military stuff. Despite my strong allegiance to tailoring, I did try to have a military jacket made by Magnoli, those of the current youth generation would use these words to describe his work : EPIC FAIL.

I will say though, some of his suits were very nicely cut, very Savile Row but made in L.A. - that restores my faith in American Tailoring.

Back to the topic: Bonded Corrected Grain? never even heard of it!

I think the OP would find some WAYWRN love for his loafers if they were either

a) Weejun style
or
b) Quite sleek, built on something like a C&J 337 last or a JL 8000. I saw a pair of Church's on Herring Shoes that looked quite nice, didn't pull the trigger though.

Mr Big I concur. Michael had his piece bespoke. Even down to those loafs. The military look, the v neck undershirt is quite manly and sexy. The skinny pants which guys are rocking nowadays. People are still rocking the military look.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
The staff at Gucci can switch out the hardware on the loafer, with brass and silver as options. I expected a surly and indifferent reception at Gucci, but the gal who helped me was a delight. This was at their New York store, on Madison.

Hahaha, try some of the European stores and speak English to them.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Great leather, on a great last, with the least amount of hardware possible.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
Great leather, on a great last, with the least amount of hardware possible.
Could I get you to elaborate on what makes a great last?

Originally Posted by HHD
Some nice slip ons from Edward Green here:
http://www.skyvalet1.com/EdwardGreen...erCasuals.aspx

Agreed, but which ones in particular float your boat, and why?

Originally Posted by HHD
Any love for the classic Weston loafer?
Can you provide an example or two?

HHD

Reaction score
I like the Piccadilly and the Montpellier from the assortment above, but I haven't seen the Sloane or Buxton, which look good too. This is the classic JM Weston 180 loafer:
jm-weston-la-reference-180-468x200.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads