• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomx48

Reaction score
I really hope these have not been repaired. I pre ordered these, waited, and paid full retail price! So as far as I know these are straight from Alden. So can anyone confirm these are genuine Alden factory heels or is something else going on here? Getting kind of worried about my purchase now.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madcurry
I just picked up a pair of Aldens at a local consignment shop. They are a Sherman Brothers exclusive, black perf-cap blucher. The Heel is imprinted with the Foot Balance logo so I assume they are on the Trubalance last, but the soul seems a little curvy to me so they could be the modified last, can anyone confirm this? These were in 9 EE (I am a 9.5 E so these fit well with casual socks). There was another nearly identical pair in 9.5 EE, but these were not labeled Alden or Sherman Bros, only sporting the Foot Balance logo on the heal. It looks like the owner tried to get two sizes of the same shoe to fit well and did not succeed. Does anyone know anything about these shoes?

Here is a link to an Image Gallery

That looks like the modified last to me.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a pair of penny style mocs for a biz casual office (for chinos/pants with button down collar shirts). If I can't figure something out, then I will probably go with some wingtips.

Does anyone have fit pics/suggestions on the following Alden model? The LHS is outta my current budget...

1. Alden beefroll with vibram sole
H406.jpg

H403.jpg

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try the Ralph Lauren "Turin" loafers, made in the same USA factory as the Alden Cape Cod loafers. I own a pair and the fit is the same as Alden shoes. Sometimes they pop up on ebay for $100-$150.

madcurry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
That looks like the modified last to me.
Thanks. I was pretty much convinced that they were on modified last, but I have never seen one in the wild before.

After a half day of wear and walking about town, I can confirm that they are very comfortable for me. I have flat feet so I always have a hard time with shoe fit. This is what led me to Alden in the first place. The hampton lasted dress shoes that my wife got me for our first anniversary were the first dress shoes that did not cause me any pain. I have been hooked ever since.

When I was in LA this summer, I picked up the fabulous Plaza Chromexel Wingtip Boots at Leather Soul, and had a great conversation with Bryan about shoe fit for people with flat feet. He told me that the modified last is sold in Japan because most Japanese people have flat feet. I can confirm that this last works very well for people with flat feet and would encourage them to seek it out. Bryan also did a great job of fitting me in the plaza last, which is tricky for my foot shape.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madcurry
Thanks. I was pretty much convinced that they were on modified last, but I have never seen one in the wild before.

After a half day of wear and walking about town, I can confirm that they are very comfortable for me. I have flat feet so I always have a hard time with shoe fit. This is what led me to Alden in the first place. The hampton lasted dress shoes that my wife got me for our first anniversary were the first dress shoes that did not cause me any pain. I have been hooked ever since.

When I was in LA this summer, I picked up the fabulous Plaza Chromexel Wingtip Boots at Leather Soul, and had a great conversation with Bryan about shoe fit for people with flat feet. He told me that the modified last is sold in Japan because most Japanese people have flat feet. I can confirm that this last works very well for people with flat feet and would encourage them to seek it out. Bryan also did a great job of fitting me in the plaza last, which is tricky for my foot shape.

Funny that you say that about the Modified last. They appear to taper, very sharply, near the arch. I too have flat feet, but also wide. I was under the impression, based on appearance alone, that the Modified would not work for me. I do love my Hampton and Trubalance though. As for the Plaza they don't even come in my width. There are quite a few models on that last I'd love to have. A pity they didn't at least make those up to an EEE.

madcurry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
Funny that you say that about the Modified last. They appear to taper, very sharply, near the arch. I too have flat feet, but also wide. I was under the impression, based on appearance alone, that the Modified would not work for me. I do love my Hampton and Trubalance though. As for the Plaza they don't even come in my width. There are quite a few models on that last I'd love to have. A pity they didn't at least make those up to an EEE.
I was suspicious of the taper in the Modified last as well but it works in an unexpected way. Its seems to firmly grip my heel, even at 1 width lager than my size. The shoe bulges out over the taper, which is why shoes on the last look odd, but this helps to grip the middle of your foot more firmly. The front splays out in an arc, providing a lot of toe room. It works for me, but I think it would be best for buyers to go to New York or Japan to try a on pair before ordering, unless the store has a generous return policy that includes special make-ups and unusual widths. As I noted, the previous owner of this pair seems to have made two failed attempts to get a fit, and doesn't appear to have been allowed to return them. The Hampton fits me true to size. On the Plaza Boot, I needed to go up a half size to get a good fit. They ended up fitting more like Dessert Boots than an Indy Boot, especially with the soft Chromexcel Leather. I think I would still have to try on a few sizes and widths to get a fit in a plaza dress shoe. I am a big proponent of the Hampton, and I plan to give Barrie a shot next.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
just thought this page could use a pic. Indys

6gcwwl.jpg

That's the natural chromexcels and the regular 405s, right?

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
That's the natural chromexcels and the regular 405s, right?

JCrew Indys in the middle

Originally Posted by srivats
^ Great Indys!

Dammit SF - I now want a pair of the natural chromexel indys. Don't make me break my no-shoe-till-december vow
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

right-on, man. mine was 'no-shoes-until-spring' SMH

obiter dictum

Reaction score
When did the SF consensus turn in favour of band-aid colored shoes?

Count me out of the natural chromexcel crowd.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF consensus has always favored quality leather with great evolution potential. The natural chromexcel fits the bill nicely, no?

There's a million other leather options if you don't like the 'band-aid' color, but it's short-sighted to look at pics of brand new boots and dismiss them. They won't be band-aids for long.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics