• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
It looks to me like his jacket sleeves are to short?

That said, general rule of thumb is that the jacket sleeves should end just below the wrist bone, yes?

Cheers.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Looking for a good wax to restore my Leather Jacket that has become dull. Recommendations?
Maybe also get the leather smell back.
Thanks!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
That said, general rule of thumb is that the jacket sleeves should end just below the wrist bone, yes?

Cheers.

They ride up some when your arms are anywhere but at your side. I'm guessing the shirt sleeves are looser and thus not doing that.

Lengths look fine to me.

Camacho

Reaction score
Hi: I recently picked up a jacket that happens to be much greener than it appeared to be under the dim store light (imagine that); seemed to have a more tan undertone, as in second pic.. Having never really owned a jacket of this color, I am questioning if it is "too green" for (casual) office wear due to not seeing a lot of people walking around with similar color jackets.. I am of fair skin and have (some) auburn hair FWIW.. Also curious what others may pair with olive in regards to shirt/trousers colour? Thanks in Advance!
Picture1.png
7118202.jpg

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Shoe care question: I have a pair of chukka boots with rubber soles. The sides of the soles and the heel have a few scuff marks. How do I remove those marks? Somebody told me nail polish remover. Is that a bad idea?

vince85

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Vitale Barberis Canonico is very good value for the price and are available all over the place. Where are you located?

I'll be in Rome and Florence. Where can I find fabric shops?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
Somewhat unrelated, but I have nowhere to ask. I created a post in the FS thread, http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=179066, and now I can't edit the original post nor change the title. I PMed on of the admins but have yet to receive a reply.
Thanks

After a while you can't edit the posts. Just repost the whole thing again since your old one is probably 100 pages back or something.
Originally Posted by bleachboy
What does one wear with a relatively bold pair of black/white houndstooth or glen plaid wool trousers?
I have a strong black and white POW pair of pants. They're hard to match. I go with either a plain black or white shirt. I've also matched it with a plain (or small self-patterned) pink or light blue shirt. I've done black shoes and belt, those pants, and a white shirt and black blazer which I think looks quite snazzy.
Originally Posted by Kensington
Can anyone ID this jumpsuit or recommend something similar? I like the slim fit and the pockets.
I'd suggest asking in the streetwear forum. They might have a better idea.
Originally Posted by Lokesh
Looking for a good wax to restore my Leather Jacket that has become dull. Recommendations? Maybe also get the leather smell back. Thanks!
Check the leather shoes threads in the streetwear secttion, including the clarks desert boots one and the post pics of the best leather jackets. Do a search for words like cream, restore, etc.
I recall there being some sort of conditioner cream everyone recommends.

bertcruz

Reaction score
I'm getting married in a grey suit (medium grey with hints of brown), and I'm considering wearing a light yellow shirt with it. I was trying to convince myself that the shirt was off-white, but I've come to accept that its light yellow. Any major objections? Thoughts on ties?
backyard wedding, bride-to-be will be in a yellow/off white dress coincidently.
Thanks!

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
Is it possible to turn non-functional cuffs into functional ones?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bertcruz
I'm getting married in a grey suit (medium grey with hints of brown), and I'm considering wearing a light yellow shirt with it. I was trying to convince myself that the shirt was off-white, but I've come to accept that its light yellow. Any major objections? Thoughts on ties?
Thanks!

Objections? Yes. A wedding is a formal affair, wear a white shirt.
If you absolutely hate that and absolutely want to wear something with color, take light blue, which should go well with the grey/brown suit.
re: ties - what about a traditional wedding tie? Just search the forum. If you don't like that, plain navy is never wrong.

Originally Posted by ZhiMingBuFanDe
Is it possible to turn non-functional cuffs into functional ones?

On jacket sleeves? Generally, yes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Camacho
I recently picked up a jacket that happens to be much greener than it appeared to be under the dim store light (imagine that); seemed to have a more tan undertone, as in second pic..

Having never really owned a jacket of this color, I am questioning if it is "too green" for (casual) office wear due to not seeing a lot of people walking around with similar color jackets..

As long as the office is relatively casual rather than very traditional and stuffy, I don't really see why it would be a problem. The coat looks great to me.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bertcruz
Thanks!

Taking into consideration your skin tone, light yellow shirts can drown you out and make you look pale.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hope no one minds, this is a cross post from SW&D. Found a trench coat that was exactly what what I have been looking for in terms of style and fit at Zara yesterday. I never shop at the store because I'm not a big fan of their typical fits or quality, but I couldn't pass this item up. The issue I have is that apparently it provides very little, if any, level of water resistance. I tested it when I got home. For the price I paid, I didn't think I would get GOTEX level water proofing, but being that it is a trench coat I would expect it to be able to provide some basic water resistance. Since the price was good and I like everything else about it I am considering ways to add some water proofing. A spray or even perhaps a wax. Anyone have experience or advice with this? I think I may return it if it's a lost cause.
confused.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads