• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woody Allen as a style icon

Sartorial1

Reaction score
It's a well developed style.
It's not as thrown together as it looks.
It's not a style I appreciate.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
I don't feel comfortable weighing in on the rest. But I think Manton is correct in his referene to the United States of America as America. United States of America The name is America. The other words are modifiers; they refer to the largest of the "administrative divisions" within the country. United Kindon of Great Britain The name is Great Britain. Again, the other words are modifiers.
There isn't a continent called 'Britain'. Anyway I admit that my initial remark was a bit pedantic. It's just that, as I said, when uttered by right-wing Americans, that word makes me think of the whole "America, right or wrong" mindset. As I said, it's probably just a bit idiosyncratic of me.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
There isn't a continent called 'Britain'.

Anyway I admit that my initial remark was a bit pedantic. It's just that, as I said, when uttered by right-wing Americans, that word makes me think of the whole "America, right or wrong" mindset. As I said, it's probably just a bit idiosyncratic of me.

There isn't a continent called America.
There is North America.
There is South America.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Would is it about Allen's slobbishness that appeals to you?

There is absolutely nothing preppy about how he dresses. In fact, if you correct for his age, he might as well be in crocs and dockers.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is North America.
There is South America.

Dude, please.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
It's just that, as I said, when uttered by right-wing Americans, that word makes me think of the whole "America, right or wrong" mindset. As I said, it's probably just a bit idiosyncratic of me.
When I use the word America,
that is not my mindset.
But in my part of the country,
there are many who express themselves that way.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Lets just talk about Woody.
Please.

Originally Posted by iammatt
Dude, please.

I would ask that you not call me Dude.

I'll answer to my member name,
to Robert,
or to Trip.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't see him as East Coast Prep at all, though having grown up and lived on the west coast my entire life, I don't know that I know what it is. I see him as typical Liberal Arts Professor style, or at least a carefully constructed caricature of that. I almost like it, but I don't.

Yes, those pics aren't ideal to make the point I wanted to make. But I suppose my point was that he manages to use a lot of elements of preppy without looking prep (e.g. his clothes in most movies from his golden era are Ralph Lauren). I do agree that his style is close to that of a stereotypical humanities/social sciences academic (a style closely related to prep in many ways, of course), but still I see it as somewhat more urban and less caricatural. Admittedly I can't quite put my finger on why, though. I may be wrong at the end of the day.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lets just talk about Woody.
Please.

I think that the term "**** putz" is a good place to start.

- B

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Thanks guy's I have rather enjoyed this exchange, in a sort of vicarious way, being too shy myself to jump into the fray. Woody Allen has "branded" a certain persona: frumpy, Jewish, neurotic, and I have usually enjoyed his movies. I don't think I would aspire to his look, but then again there is much casual wear at this site that seems to deviate from well-groomed look. I personally prefer a "Holland and Holland" country look. or I think I saw a recent RLBL posting of preppy attire that I think looked great. It could be that radical dog gravitates to the whole "Woody Allen " persona, since I assume that "Radicaldog" and "Woody Allen" are on the same political page, for example in support of Obama regardless of where he was born, his religion, whom his handlers are, his indifference to the voting rights of White people, his stewardship of the economy to bring down unemployment, or his successes in Afghanistan. This forum is about fashion and I’m not about to use this tread to insert my own political views. I may be a little jealous that my Ex-wife didn’t have a stepdaughter that I could have included as part of my retirement portfolio, but I don’t let that influence my opinion of Allen’s dress. Frankly though, I can’t imagine anyone complementing Woody Allen on his dress, and I kind of think that Woody Allen might take offense to anyone telling him he dresses well.

Radicaldog says he is an academic, and there is a tendency to receive approval from other fellow travelers by putting down conservative America, and so in an open forum one might forget that people may have strong opinions in the opposite direction. It would seem from Radicaldogs original post was that his admiration of Woody Allen was that fact that Allen was making a statement that he wasn’t a right-winger or a banker, rather than an appreciation of his clothing. And in the words of that great liberal cause-celebe, Rodney King “Why can’t we all just get along”, and not try to bait others into harsh words.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is North America.
There is South America.

Very interesting:

By most standards, there are a seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. Most students in the United States are taught that there are seven continents.

European Division of Continents

In Europe and other parts of the world, many students are taught of six continents, where North and South America are combined to form a single continent of America. Thus, these six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe.

Many scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (since they're one solid geologic landmass). Thus, these six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Eurasia, North America, and South America.

I'm sure someone has written a paper about the politics of this distinction in geography education.

* http://geography.about.com/od/learna...continents.htm

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Styleforum, where America goes to learn geography.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't forget Atlantis, from whose loins sprang both a mighty ocean and the home of edinatlanta.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads