• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woody Allen as a style icon

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What you said was factually incorrect. If it's important for you to believe faleshoods, then just ignore me.
There are many ways to point out falsehoods. Some of those ways are (unnecessarily) dismissive and condescending. I believe it's true that, like you say, most finance elites are not preppy any more. But if you want to continue this discussion constructively, please don't ignore my replies, which you force me to repeat: - Allen is in his seventies. - "My initial claim, properly understood (remember: this is a clothing forum), is that the use of preppy clothing can create a look that is associated with the traditional image of Eastern WASP elites etc."

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, you say that I think a whole class of people are not human, but that's just fair game. I point out that certain demographic assumptions of yours are out of date and I am a huge asshole.

Being on the left means never having to say you're sorry. Being on the right means that even if you are right about a small point of fact you are Hitler.

I didn't say it was fair game. I said that any reasonable reader of my words would understand that they are a hyperbole:

hyperbole |hīˈpərbəlē|
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Moreover, you 'pointed out' those things in an insulting way, hence my piqued response. Being dismissive and condescending out of the blue (as opposed to in response to an offensive remark) is quite asshole-ish in my book.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being on the left means never having to say you're sorry. Being on the right means that even if you are right about a small point of fact you are Hitler.
Good one. Are you writing speeches for Sarah Palin, the Tea Party, and other microcephalic freaks now?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I didn't say it was fair game. I said that any reasonable reader of my words would understand that they are a hyperbole:

hyperbole |hīˈpərbəlē|
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Moreover, you 'pointed out' those things in an insulting way, hence my piqued response. Being dismissive and condescending out of the blue (as opposed to in response to an offensive remark) is quite asshole-ish in my book.

Right, I wonder what would happen if I used some "hyperbole"?

And it sure is passing strange that someone might object to being told that he denied the humanity of a whole class of people! I mean, doesn't anyone have a sense of humor any more?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Good one. Are you writing speeches for Sarah Palin now?

I love how everyone thinks I am supposed to be ashamed of what I have done in my career. Yes, my career to date sure has been embarassing!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know why I am bothering to post this, but RD I've not encountered such personal bitterness on here often. I am sure that my opinion, since I am sure you have lumped me in with the vast microcephalic, vulgar right wing, doesn't matter much, but come on, dude. Usually you are a really interesting poster, too, a dwindling class on SF.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't know why I am bothering to post this, but RD I've not encountered such personal bitterness on here often. I am sure that my opinion, since I am sure you have lumped me in with the vast microcephalic, vulgar right wing, doesn't matter much, but come on, dude. Usually you are a really interesting poster, too, a dwindling class on SF.
Thank you for your kind words. I haven't lumped you with anyone.* As I said, I admit that I reacted badly, partly because I'm in a bad mood tonight; but I certainly didn't start this, did I? I reckon that makes me sound a bit like a kid in a playground, but there has got to be something to it. I also offered 'peace terms' and I tried to move the discussion back to the substance of the argument rather than to insults. If Manton doesn't cool down I might just have to start to stop replying. * If that's what you mean, I've observed you make some self-serving, ideological remarks on politics and economics. But then again, so do I. (I mean, figuring out the scope for normativity within a broadly realist and critical-theoretic framework is my new obsession, so I don't quite know how big of a problem ideology is for the purposes of constructive political disagreement.)

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, if you really thought I meant to call you a Nazi, well, sorry for inadvertently offending you.

Now, do you want to address my replies to your point about preppy etc.? Do you want to talk about Woody Allen's style? If not, I can't quite see the point of continuing this particular exchange.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Whoa!
I thought this was a thread about Woody Allen.

Did I win a "special preview" of Current Events, Power & Money?

That is one complicated family.
Allen's son, Ronan, put it well, "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law."

Allen is either incapable of making a commitment to a partner,
or is unwilling to make one.
He seems always waiting for something better to come along.
As Allen, himself, put it, "The heart wants what it wants."

When it comes to previous partners,
some were marriages,
some weren't.

Harlene Rosen (marriage)
Louise Lasser (marriage)
Diane Keaton
Stacey Nelkin
Mia Farrow
Soon-Yi (marriage)​

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton, if you really thought I meant to call you a Nazi, well, sorry for inadvertently offending you.

Now, do you want to address my replies to your point about preppy etc.? Do you want to talk about Woody Allen's style? If not, I can't quite see the point of continuing this particular exchange.

I don't see him as East Coast Prep at all, though having grown up and lived on the west coast my entire life, I don't know that I know what it is. I see him as typical Liberal Arts Professor style, or at least a carefully constructed caricature of that. I almost like it, but I don't.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
I don't feel comfortable weighing in on the rest.
But I think Manton is correct in his referene to the United States of America as America.

United States of America
The name is America.
The other words are modifiers;
they refer to the largest of the "administrative divisions" within the country.

United Kingdon of Great Britain
The name is Great Britain.
Again, the other words are modifiers.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
I don't feel comfortable weighing in on the rest.
But I think Manton is correct in his referene to the United States of America as America.

United States of America
The name is America.
The other words are modifiers;
they refer to the largest of the "administrative divisions" within the country.

United Kindon of Great Britain
The name is Great Britain.
Again, the other words are modifiers.

Those poor Northern Irish...

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
Whoa! I thought this was a thread about Woody Allen. Did I win a "special preview" of Current Events, Power & Money?
I did try. Let me try again. How baggy casual shirts can look good (this one may be pushing it a bit though):
2cgi8h.jpg
Knowing when not to be too slouchy (but note the degage notch DJ):
2hr0gtt.jpg
Not a great-fitting coat, but a stylish ensemble nonetheless, thanks to the careless use of colour and general relaxed effortlessness:
25z2j5t.jpg
I'm not good at googling though. Can't find the pics I really want, and can't be bothered to capture stills from my DVDs.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

25z2j5t.jpg

I'm not good at googling though. Can't find the pics I really want, and can't be bothered to capture stills from my DVDs.

Good to see him out there dating again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads