• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woody Allen as a style icon

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
'Right-wingers' by your standards, perhaps. By the standards of educated cosmopolitan opinion: tons of them. Also note how I said that if someone wears a certain kind of preppy, s/he may end up looking like a bankster. By what kind of non-standard logic does that imply that all or most banksters wear that kind of preppy?

And try rolling your eyes at people from Latin America. Not that you'd realise they are people, but still.

Wow! Big time!

I only lived there for a year, admittedly. I do realise that 'preppy' is now as mainstream and common as it gets, if that's what you're getting at (though I suspect that you're just annoyed by the leftish snark). But Allen is in his seventies.

Incidentally, 'America' is a continent.
Which means you should just stop posting now and stop making a fool out of yourself.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Are you getting all defensive again?

Use this next time:

320px-SMirC-rolleyes.svg.png

Sorry you lost that last argument so badly but it was a stupid one for you to start in the first place. Don't be bitter about it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You guys slay me. So you are unaware that "America" is used -- and has been used for centuries -- by hundreds of millions of people every day to refer to the United States? But when I say it, it is suddenly offensive to all of Latin America, which you angrily rise to defend? Any weapon at hand boys, any weapon at hand. And radicaldog, you're usually not this much of an asshole but when you swing low, it's not pretty. (George OTOH is a prick most of the time.) Seriously, you appear to know nothing about the northeast, nothing about American (OMG he did it again!) bankers, and nothing about preppies. The more you post, the more you make that clear.
laugh.gif
oh dear.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
laugh.gif
oh dear.

You certainly are. You must enjoy it or you wouldn't indulge so consistently.

And "George" on SF is only one-tenth the prick of "formby" on FNB, who is a very high caliber example of nasty junior high girl.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry you lost that last argument so badly but it was a stupid one for you to start in the first place. Don't be bitter about it.
Nothing to bitter about, I saw it as a difference of opinion not a points scoring exercise.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I saw it as a difference of opinion not a points scoring exercise.

Hilarious. Anyway, if you are not bitter, why not cool it with the stalking?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You certainly are. You must enjoy it or you wouldn't indulge so consistently. And "George" on SF is only one-tenth the prick of "formby" on FNB, who is a very high caliber example of nasty junior high girl.
Re-read you posts in this thread again. Self-awareness isn't really your strongpoint is it.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys slay me. So you are unaware that "America" is used -- and has been used for centuries -- by hundreds of millions of people every day to refer to the United States? But when I say it, it is suddenly offensive to all of Latin America, which you angrily rise to defend?

Any weapon at hand boys, any weapon at hand.

And radicaldog, you're usually not this much of an asshole but when you swing low, it's not pretty. (George OTOH is a prick most of the time.) Seriously, you appear to know nothing about the northeast, nothing about American (OMG he did it again!) bankers, and nothing about preppies. The more you post, the more you make that clear.

Yes, the n-word has also been used for centuries to refer to African Americans. I have no problem with the adjective 'American' (anything else is too contrived and long-winded), but the noun 'America' always makes me think of the ugliest manifestations of bigoted US patriotism. Perhaps it's just an idiosyncrasy of mine, though I do have Argentinian friends who complain about the common usage of 'America' to refer to the US.

As for being an asshole, I admit that I'm in a bad mood tonight. But seriously, you started it with a one-line post that was dismissively condescending. I also find it quite annoying that you routinely fail to address the main points raised in reply to you, and choose to concentrate on details in order to come up with more insults. I suppose that's the bread and butter of your profession (you're a propagandist of sorts, aren't you?); mine (academia) doesn't work like that.

Finally, I certainly know less that you about American banksters and preppies (and I'm glad of that). But that's beside the point: my initial claim, properly understood (remember: this is a clothing forum), is that the use of preppy clothing can create a look that is associated with the traditional image of Eastern WASP elites etc.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Yes, Woody's wife before his current wife. - B
What's Andre Previn doing in there? You edit to quick

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Re-read you posts in this thread again.

Self-awareness isn't really your strongpoint is it.

This is always your tactic of first resort.

OK, radicaldog, who is mostly a reasonabe person, made a stupid, innaccurate comment influenced by his leftist politics. I pointed out that it was wrong. He immediately went on the attack, in a particularly stupid way. You swooped in to validate him. I pointed out the inadequacy of your responses. He called me a Nazi and you got personal.

You start or pile on a lot of silly fights and then blame the person you are punching in the face. It's a pattern for you. That is but one reason why I say you are a prick.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Yes, the n-word has also been used for centuries to refer to African Americans.
Are you ******* kidding? So now referring to the USA as "America" = calling black people n!gg3rs? Really?

You are seriously coming off like a total fool.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilarious. Anyway, if you are not bitter, why not cool it with the stalking?
Stalking? I'd posted in thread before you, I saw your post, thought it was a bit heavy handed, so I thought I'd tease you. Haven't we been here before? The Harvard thread IIRC?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads