• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
The reason that IWC is not going for JLC is Richemont policy, for sure. IWC has for the sake of separation a more germanic (as Foo says) approach, with a more geometric design and a feel that is closer to instruments and utilization than JLCs haute horologerie approach and elegant design. Of course there are models that are cannibalizing a little (like the Port and the MC Diving) but they are separating themselves by some variables (the Port being bigger, the MC Diving far more exensive...).

/M

Again, I am well aware of IWC's history as a Schaffhausen-based brand and their Germanic-heritage (they did, after all, help in the revival of A. Lange). Thus, their styling should certainly be different from the more expressive JLC.

My point was that all their recent pieces seem to have bolder / gaudier "look-at-me" designs and larger-and-larger sporty cases.

Singular

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Again, I am well aware of IWC's history as a Schaffhausen-based brand and their Germanic-heritage (they did, after all, help in the revival of A. Lange). Thus, their styling should certainly be different from the more expressive JLC.

My point was that all their recent pieces seem to have bolder / gaudier "look-at-me" designs and larger-and-larger sporty cases.

Well, that is the fact for all Richemont brands - all launching larger and more fashion-forward models, killing the brands with a zillion of LEs...

/M

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
Well, that is the fact for all Richemont brands - all launching larger and more fashion-forward models, killing the brands with a zillion of LEs...

/M

I dunno - while everyone is slowly moving towards larger case sizes (and I'm ok with that) - Vacheron, JLC and Lange continue to 'stay classy' and somewhat conservative across the brand (naturally with some exceptions like the Squadra). But IWC seems to be positioning itself more and more as a fashion timepiece.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Totally agreed. The Portuguese and pre-Mark XVI pilot watches are really gorgeous watches--things you'd wear while shooting your Leica. Now they look more like things you'd wear if you were an asshole who spray tans and wears too much cheap cologne.
I dunno - while everyone is slowly moving towards larger case sizes (and I'm ok with that) - Vacheron, JLC and Lange continue to 'stay classy' and somewhat conservative across the brand (naturally with some exceptions like the Squadra). But IWC seems to be positioning itself more and more as a fashion timepiece.
Well, actually all those makers have also increased their sizes. 40mm is pretty common across the board for JLC. Patek's Calatrava dials are no longer as harmonious because the cases have enlarged beyond the sizes originally intended for the movements. Lange has "Grand" versions of it's Lange 1 and enlarged some of its other models. That said, it is certainly true IWC has gone off the wall, even by the standard of its peers. Where the Portuguese use to be the largest IWC at 42mm, now it's downright modest. I liked the fact it was peculiarly, yet correctly, big for a dress watch. Now it's just a regularly small dress watch in a line-up that is overall oversized by a cartoonish margin. The Big Ingenieur is 46 mm, like the Big Pilot, but entirely useless as an "engineer" watch since it's lost the original soft iron casing for fashion's sake. Anyway, I could rant on this forever. IWC used to be my favorite watch brand. I would have put them up against Patek, Lange, anybody, for quality of craftsmanship and refinement, with a leg-up in design, but the've become a joke.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may be of interest:

http://ablogtoread.com/erwin-sattler...gtoRead.com%29

erwin-sattler-thesaurus-1.jpg

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jubu
Omega Speedmaster 3573 is my choice... A pic of it on the steel bracelet:
4880054433_5ed9b1a313.jpg
...and one on the black Sharkskin:
4902910396_cb511df9d4.jpg

Also try it on a blue NATO, it's fantastic.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or khaki (on my wrist now)

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by echau
You can purchase the 3570.50.00, otherwise known as the "Moon Watch" from an AD for about 30% off MSRP (MSRP = $3850, expect to pay $2695 new). This is the manual wind, hesalite (acrylic) crystal version, and is the most true (of the current line up) to the original.

Other versions include:

3572.50.00 (Hesalite crystal, sapphire display caseback, no longer in production)
3573.50.00 (Sapphire crystal, sapphire display caseback)
3576.50.00 (Sapphire crystal, sapphire display caseback, moonphase and date functions)

I really recommend the 3750.50.00 simply because it's most true to the original, and the hesalite crystal is just beautiful. The hesalite crystal is more prone to scratching, but you can easily polish it with polywatch, or even toothpaste.

Here's mine for reference:

2010-04-08%2012.08.26.jpg

PM me if you'd like info on a reputable AD, or you can do more research on http://forums.watchuseek.com/index.php

Always wanted one of these.....

phantomtides

Reaction score
Late to the party, but here are some I like. I have a very small wrist (6") and I've emphasized items that I find aesthetically appealing over expensive movements or complications. All are manual movements. Also, I'm not rich. 8^) In order: Hamilton Tourneau (original dial), Zenith sterling silver (porcelain redial to replace cracked original), Hamilton gold-filled (redial, watch was my grandfather's), Revue 30s (daily beast).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads