• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
I"d like to get a handful of sweaters for business casual. Any suggestions of places to shop that will provide good quality at a reasonable price. I'm looking for quality over fashion
wink.gif

A Suitable Wardbrobe store has some good ones at times.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've been buying a lot of J Crew sweaters lately. Not expensive and seem to hold up well.

Anyone have any experience with Black Brown 1826? It's Joseph Abboud's collaboration with Lord and Taylor.

daft

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about Kid Mohair fabric? I've did some digging but couldn't find anything useful. How does it differ from mohair?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
I"d like to get a handful of sweaters for business casual. Any suggestions of places to shop that will provide good quality at a reasonable price. I'm looking for quality over fashion
wink.gif

J Crew is a good bet. Department stores like Bloomingdales often have decent sweaters that seem to always be on sale.

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
Can the shoulder profile of a jacket be altered easily?

I have a used jacket that has fairly square pads and Im not sure if it was taken in at the sleeves or what, but there is a noticeable bump right where the sleeve meets the shoulder that I dont care for.

Any way to take care of this at home, or is it something that can easily be altered by someone who halfway knows what theyre doing?

This was part of a 3 pc suit I scored on the cheap, so taking it somewhere to drop $50+ for the alterations isnt worth it.

Thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell
Can the shoulder profile of a jacket be altered easily?

I have a used jacket that has fairly square pads and Im not sure if it was taken in at the sleeves or what, but there is a noticeable bump right where the sleeve meets the shoulder that I dont care for.

Any way to take care of this at home, or is it something that can easily be altered by someone who halfway knows what theyre doing?

This was part of a 3 pc suit I scored on the cheap, so taking it somewhere to drop $50+ for the alterations isnt worth it.

Thanks.

Part one: no. Part two: Definitely not.

Shoulders are a very difficult thing to modify. Donate it back.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
Thanks for the answers folks!

Got another couple questions:

1. How does a 50/50 Silk Linen blend wear? Am I going to look like a walking prune?
!

Are you asking about wrinkles or warmth?

I've got one that is basically that with maybe 5% of something else. It wrinkles less then pure linen. OTOH it seems warmer.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daft
Can anyone tell me about Kid Mohair fabric? I've did some digging but couldn't find anything useful. How does it differ from mohair?

Kid Mohair is the softest, finest hair and it comes from young kid goats. As the goats get older the hair becomes more coarse and it's less valuable.

vince85

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have anyone bought any fabric for shirts/suits from Italy? If yes, any recommendation where I can get good fabrics at a good price?

dbc

Reaction score
Are his sleeves too long?

tumblrl8y4913cig1qargt4.jpg

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vince85
Hi Guys,

Have anyone bought any fabric for shirts/suits from Italy? If yes, any recommendation where I can get good fabrics at a good price?

Vitale Barberis Canonico is very good value for the price and are available all over the place. Where are you located?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does one wear with a relatively bold pair of black/white houndstooth or glen plaid wool trousers?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
What does one wear with a relatively bold pair of black/white houndstooth or glen plaid wool trousers?

If it's bold, then just a plain sky blue poplin shirt will be sufficient. Either that or a black turtleneck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads