• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For my dearest Kyle: dinner at the French Laundry

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
I will be attending a conference in San Francisco this October.
Six months ago my wife and started thinking about the possibility of dining at The French Laundry and Cyrus.
Made the obligatory call two months out for The French Laundry.
Zagat says 29.
3 stars in the Michelin Guide.
What gives?
Are we wasting our time and money?

You aren't wasting your time at either. I've only had one bad (perhaps subpar) meal at Cyrus, it is pretty consistently good. TFL is an experience worth having, though I have had two disappointing meals spread over a decade or so. I've only been twice. Pro tip would be to make sure I am not going the night you are, and am not in your party. I imagine that I am very unlucky there.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Pro tip would be to make sure I am not going the night you are, and am not in your party. I imagine that I am very unlucky there.
When I get to the office Monday,
I'll send ya the dates!
Deal?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I get to the office Monday, I'll send ya the dates! Deal?
I think going to TFL once is worth it. The quality is generally very high, I think you'll enjoy it. I think it's worth the price, if only once. I really doubt that you will regret it. I'd venture to say that one would require an incredible amount of context (meaning, a lot of experience and a large basis of comparison) to find TFL not to be one of the best meals of your life. I've had one of my best meals there ever, and I've worked at three 3 star restaurants, and often go very much out of my way (geographically) for a great meal, so I think you guys are in quite a bit of danger of really loving it.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response.
I was really fretting there.
Still fretting a bit,
especially given the prices at The French Laundry and the words in this thread.

This is not something we do every day.
We've dreamed about this for years.
Have reservations at both.
But maybe we should think about dropping the French Laundry,
and look to another place for our second meal.

Will be staying with dear friends just outside Calistoga after my conference.
The getting to Healdsburg & Yountville won't be too difficult.

I went to cyrus less than a week ago and went to TFL about 2 years ago. They were both good experiences but for different reasons. TFL was quite a hassle to get reservations. I and one of my friends called the TFL 3-4 days straight just to get reservations. We were there for 5 hours and was more like an event. They even made coffee and donuts for us when it was not on the menu. I'm sad to have missed oysters and pearls.

Cyrus is far more laid back than TFL. The service was much more engaging and less formal. The staff is very knowledgeable and willing to share. When I was dining there I couldn't help but wonder who Kyle was dating - I'm obviously not up on my SF gossip. That waitress Andrea is quite pretty.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Cyrus is far more laid back than TFL. The service was much more engaging and less formal. The staff is very knowledgeable and willing to share. When I was dining there I couldn't help but wonder who Kyle was dating - I'm obviously not up on my SF gossip. That waitress Andrea is quite pretty.
laugh.gif
Andrea is beautiful. But I'm not in California anymore, I'm back in Chicago. My waitress love tryst was here. Although there are certainly several waitresses at Cyrus with whom I'd be more than honored to share some experiences.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I went to cyrus less than a week ago and went to TFL about 2 years ago. They were both good experiences but for different reasons. TFL was quite a hassle to get reservations. I and one of my friends called the TFL 3-4 days straight just to get reservations. We were there for 5 hours and was more like an event. They even made coffee and donuts for us when it was not on the menu. I'm sad to have missed oysters and pearls.

Thank you sharing your experience.

I'm thinking TFL must be similar in experience to having the tasting menu at Pierre Gagnaire or Moulin du Mougin.
Of course, each restaurant is different.
Formailty is fine with us; we're from Charleston, S.C.

We're looking forward to both meals.

Thanks again.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you sharing your experience.

I'm thinking TFL must be similar in experience to having the tasting menu at Pierre Gagnaire or Moulin du Mougin.
Of course, each restaurant is different.
Formailty is fine with us; we're from Charleston, S.C.

We're looking forward to both meals.

Thanks again.

I've been wanting to visit Charleston, as I'm unfamiliar with that part of the country. Is formal dinner service commonplace still? I know that at one point, a great premium was placed on social graces at formality in parts of the south. Is this something that endures now?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I've been wanting to visit Charleston, as I'm unfamiliar with that part of the country. Is formal dinner service commonplace still? I know that at one point, a great premium was placed on social graces at formality in parts of the south. Is this something that endures now?

Without a doubt. NASCAR hats must be removed and the **** hounds must be checked at the door.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It appears you may be a food critic,
and a good one.
Have you anything to add about TFL?

i'm not a critic but i do write about food. my experiences at TFL may not be appropriate since except for the first couple of times i ate there, i've been known to the staff and the chef is a very good friend. that said, i've never been to a restaurant that works harder at delivering a perfect experience. at times, this can get in the way ... the effort shows. and certainly at times they fall short, which is all the more disappointing because expectations are so high. but of my dozen best meals ever, i'd guess half of them have been there.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Going to NY later this year. How does Per Se compare to TFL?
i've only eaten at per se once ... celebrated my 50th there. the menus and approaches are similar. to me, per se just has a certain metropolitan chill that detracts from teh experience. TFL is warmer and somewhat more relaxed. though both are undoubtedly excellent.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
It endures.
It's not like it used to be.
Formailty is less common in public.
Restaurant dining is less formal today,
but the food is certainly better.
But it isn't what you can find in Atlanta, New Orleans, or New York.

Formality is more ingrained in our private life,
and to a lesser degree in our professional lives.
The visitor may sense it,
but it won't be forced on him.
However, an outsider may find it hard town to crack,
unless he has relatives or other close connections.
We're skeptical of you
until you prove your commitment to the community.

Speaking of community
our city is comprised of small closely knit communities.
Everyone knows everyone else within a community.
Much entertaining is done at home
Dinner parties are common,
so are garden parties.
A lot of life centers around country
and various other private clubs.
And, we still have a social season.

It is a way that is dying.
But I tell you, Charleston is doing its best to keep it with us.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Going back next weekend, hopefully with great results.

Mandres

Reaction score

It endures. It's not like it used to be. Formailty is less common in public. Restaurant dining is less formal today, but the food is certainly better. But it isn't what you can find in Atlanta, New Orleans, or New York. Formality is more ingrained in our private life, and to a lesser degree in our professional lives. The visitor may sense it, but it won't be forced on him. However, an outsider may find it hard town to crack, unless he has relatives or other close connections. We're skeptical of you until you prove your commitment to the community. Speaking of community our city is comprised of small closely knit communities. Everyone knows everyone else within a community. Much entertaining is done at home Dinner parties are common, so are garden parties. A lot of life centers around country and various other private clubs. And, we still have a social season. It is a way that is dying. But I tell you, Charleston is doing its best to keep it with us.
You can always tell A man from Charleston By the way he types Exclusively in verse

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics