• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't think there is anything faux about the tweed, it's just machine loomed but it's real tweed. A purist could say that a true Shetland is always handmade but that stuff is not strong. And I don't just mean the Breamish, even the W. Bill hand loomed Shetlands are 2x1 and very loose.

Yes, it was perhaps too incommunicative merely to put "faux" in quotations.

Originally Posted by Manton
The Scabal stuff is much sturdier (as well as 2x2) but still wears soft.

For tweed in the city, I think it about a versatile as a tweed can get. I love my brown one, and now I have two in this fabric. The colors in both are nice and variegated. The softness of the fabric, moreover, works well with the soft tailoring.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Coat > on > rotunda > camera > picture > post > praise > FNB.com > backlash.

You know the drill.

laugh.gif

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Does this one have a one piece back like your brown one?

No, I didn't think it necessary since the pattern is not in that class of...loud.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Great belly on that lapel. I was just thinking the other day how I'd like for Chan to incorporate some belly Chan into my W. Bill tweed I'm having them make up in Hong Kong this week when I'm there.

I look forward to seeing photographs of it when it is done.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
That fabric is lovely, Vox ... the pocket is
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

I am very pleased with them...and the conversation from which we elicited the shapes from Edwin's early memory of older A&S jackets was a fun one.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
!
another pretty vox
!

Glad you like. Thanks.

Perhaps there will be beautiful tears to collect when I put it on, but I am optimistic.

- B

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why didn't Mahon return to Steed when he finished his "hiatus"? Is there a major difference in the way he cuts?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Why didn't Mahon return to Steed when he finished his "hiatus"? Is there a major difference in the way he cuts?

It wasn't a hiatus. I believe that Tom decided to get out of tailoring altogether and helped to run a pub for awhile. Edwin bought out Tom's share of Steed in 2000.

Tom did keep a few clients, though...not sure how that worked. The rest of the story is presented by one point of view, which was posted earlier in this thread: from the first draft of Chapter 6, A World-Class Product, from Evil Plans, a book due according to the author Hugh MacLeod to be published by Penguin in 2011.

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
New for me, old (pre-1980s) for A&S: smaller, more compound curves and rounded edges, with the hip pockets up off more from the hem.

Good call. Looks really nice.

the new, slightly curvier cutaway/fronts/quarters.

Do you have a photo? I'd love to see the newer curvier front cutaway shape. I think the A&S school make them a bit too square.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Good call. Looks really nice.

Do you have a photo? I'd love to see the newer curvier front cutaway shape. I think the A&S school make them a bit too square.

Thank you, Big P. I'll try to accommodate your photo request.

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love it. I might end up loving it as much as your Internet father, who has determined that his Ruby in this is his favorite suit when the weather cooperates. Have you seen him in it?

It is indeed very nice in person. So much so that I had to get one, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics