• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone tell me about traditional English/Irish countyside style?

bitcheye

Reaction score
Hey all, first real posts on the forum.

I was wondering if anyone could help me put together a traditional UK countryside style starting from scratch. I'm thinking a few pairs of dark-washed jeans, chinos in gray khaki and brown, henleys and rugby shirts, tartan plaid, and of course lots of olive colored stuff. I'm especially looking for suggestions on sweaters and a nice shooting jacket. I won't be needing any breeks or rubber boots.

Here are a few reference pictures:

barbour_pic.jpg

092209_barbour_learn_more.jpg

Percy_Barbour.jpg_e_cde7ba3a95106e5f6e840bdb41ba9a8d.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality/bad examples, but I really don't know where to find this kind of stuff. The only brand I've found thus far that suits this is Barbour, so I'm looking for a few more places to cop. Don't really have to get dressed up to often, but if the occasion calls for it I'll be looking for tweed jackets and things of that nature. I'm from the US. All help is greatly appreciated.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
As an aesthetic it's a bit stodgy but depending on how you do it and how you fit things it could be pretty solid.

I think you do vintage and thrift a lot for this, honestly, looking for tweeds. Alden will suit for shoes (despite not being UK), Trickers, lots of options for footwear that'll go. Epaulet would be a good shop to check out.

bitcheye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
As an aesthetic it's a bit stodgy but depending on how you do it and how you fit things it could be pretty solid.

I think you do vintage and thrift a lot for this, honestly, looking for tweeds. Alden will suit for shoes (despite not being UK), Trickers, lots of options for footwear that'll go. Epaulet would be a good shop to check out.

Thanks heaps man! Will be sure to check those out. Still taking any other suggestions...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Oliver Spencer is extremely solid also.

Take a look at www.oipolloi.com they stock a lot of that type of aesthetic.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like AR_six said, tweed jackets, sport coats and acessories etc in more classic styles (B&S here is good for that, ebay sometimes has some and thrifts are hit or miss depending on your area).

Be careful with plaids though, it can be easy to have too many patterns in one outfit which may not end up looking as great as you thought.

If you find Alden/Trickers to be out of your price range when it comes to footwear, brands like Loake and Grenson can be found for pretty decent prices online.

Also consider a waxed jacket of some sort.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Billy Reid has some really good stuff esp. this season. Could probably look to SNS Herning for a fisherman knit or two.

You need at least 3 tweed hats (ie driving cap or newsboy or something like that). Maybe kop one online, then thrift for the others.

JO3B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Billy Reid has some really good stuff esp. this season. Could probably look to SNS Herning for a fisherman knit or two.

You need at least 3 tweed hats (ie driving cap or newsboy or something like that). Maybe kop one online, then thrift for the others.

could you have come up with a number more arbitrary than 3?

chroMe

Reaction score
You are not referring to the typical shire town out on a saturday night look which consists of a football stripe complimented with Red Stripe & hunting in packs...

Take a look at Old Town for the gentry styleth. Have to do a scroll to see pics.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Also Nigel Cabourn is worth checking out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads