• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts: How many washes before alterations?

beerbudget

Reaction score
So how many washes do you give your new cotton dress shirts before taking them to the tailor for alterations, in my case sleeves shortened.

Is 1 wash sufficient for shrinkage or 2 (or more)?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wash once and dry on medium heat. I believe that's enough for the shirt to shrink.

hst

Reaction score
I washed my shirts once before alteration.

wetnose

Reaction score
The "drying on heat" part is critical - if you don't do that, then it won't count.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Just once, but I wash all of my dress shirts in cold water and hang-dry them after each wearing. I never dry them.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan-27
Just once, but I wash all of my dress shirts in cold water and hang-dry them after each wearing. I never dry them.

You do "dry them" It is called air drying. And I agree, Cold water and then air dry.

And if you use a machine gentle (delicate) rinse cold water.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet
You do "dry them" It is called air drying. And I agree, Cold water and then air dry.

And if you use a machine gentle (delicate) rinse cold water.

Do it once on medium heat in the dryer to let it shrink. Then only cold-wash and hang to dry.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once should be enough but you can try a 2nd time and if still nothing then take it to a tailor.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it was best for 2-3 washes?

blackwar12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Do it once on medium heat in the dryer to let it shrink. Then only cold-wash and hang to dry.
I don't understand the process of putting in the dyer after one washing. Are you saying the shrinking you will get is the equivalent of washing it with cold water 2-3 times (in other words as much as it will or should naturally shrink) and just letting it air dry? I never machine dry anything of mine that's not socks/undershirts/gym clothes in fear of having anything permanently damaged/excessively shrunk by heating, and I think I would be pretty scared if I'm internationally putting my 100% cotton shirts in the dyer =/...

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackwar12
I don't understand the process of putting in the dyer after one washing. Are you saying the shrinking you will get is the equivalent of washing it with cold water 2-3 times (in other words as much as it will or should naturally shrink) and just letting it air dry? I never machine dry anything of mine that's not socks/undershirts/gym clothes in fear of having anything permanently damaged/excessively shrunk by heating, and I think I would be pretty scared if I'm internationally putting my 100% cotton shirts in the dyer =/...

If you want it to shrink to its normal size after one wash put it into the dryer. It won't damage the cloth, especially not after one drying cycle. If you want the shirt to shrink slowly over time and several washes then do cold water and hang to dry. It's your choice. I prefer the second option, unless I need to take a new shirt to my tailor, in which case I want it fully shrunk before any alterations.

john dough

Reaction score
I machine wash and dry my shirts at least two times before altering just to be on the safe side. I've experienced shrinkage
frown.gif
after alteration and I rather spend the extra time to wash/dry rather than buy another shirt.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no dryer with heat.
other parts of the shirt will shrink that you do not want to shrink!!!!

wash twice the way you always wash.
so if you give them out to professional cleaners, then do so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads