• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
Just got these on Tuesday, haven't worn them yet. Scotch grain calfskin, can't wait to get these beat up a bit.

great choice! anyone have pics of some scotch grain already beat up?

smithback1

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a couple pairs of shoes for a new job where the dress code is business casual. I'm tired of buying cheap shoes every year and figured I would get nicer shoes that will last/look better which brought me to this forum/post, plus I saw the Chocolate Suede Plaza Cap Toe Boots at LS that I thought were awesome so I figured I try Aldens but for now I just want some plain toe bluchers.

Are the calf ptbs at Brooks Brothers Aldens? I was looking at those because they are on sale or a pair of all weather walkers.

What last are the Brooks Brothers on? I was measured as a 10/10.5 and D width, I tried on the 10.5 and it seemed long and the 10 feels like it fits correctly but snug, do they stretch? All the other shoes I wear are way too large, I have size 11 eccos and chucks that I can pretty much walk out of. I had a size 10 pair of chucks that crushed my small toe so I would probably wear a 10.5 in those. I'm not sure if the 10 in these is too small or if it fits correctly and I'm just not used to how they are supposed to fit.

Are they too shiny or dressy to wear with khakis? Will they lose their shine? Should I be looking to get something without leather soles or not plain toe?

Sorry for the noob questions, I figured I did enough research but then I tried them on and confused myself
facepalm.gif
Thanks!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
Just got these on Tuesday, haven't worn them yet. Scotch grain calfskin, can't wait to get these beat up a bit.
What color is that? (kinda hard to tell from the lighting).

I have a pair of those in brown (also in Scotch grain calfskin) coming in on Saturday...cannot wait to rock them.

I wanted a pair of the Chromexcel wing tip boots from LSBH, but my size is all gone.
frown.gif

I will wait to see what kind of Chromexcel Aldens I can get to substitute for them.
devil.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smithback1
I'm purchasing a couple pairs of shoes for a new job where the dress code is business casual. I'm tired of buying cheap shoes every year and figured I would get nicer shoes that will last/look better which brought me to this forum/post, plus I saw the Chocolate Suede Plaza Cap Toe Boots at LS that I thought were awesome so I figured I try Aldens but for now I just want some plain toe bluchers.

Are the calf ptbs at Brooks Brothers Aldens? I was looking at those because they are on sale or a pair of all weather walkers.

What last are the Brooks Brothers on? I was measured as a 10/10.5 and D width, I tried on the 10.5 and it seemed long and the 10 feels like it fits correctly but snug, do they stretch? All the other shoes I wear are way too large, I have size 11 eccos and chucks that I can pretty much walk out of. I had a size 10 pair of chucks that crushed my small toe so I would probably wear a 10.5 in those. I'm not sure if the 10 in these is too small or if it fits correctly and I'm just not used to how they are supposed to fit.

Are they too shiny or dressy to wear with khakis? Will they lose their shine? Should I be looking to get something without leather soles or not plain toe?

Sorry for the noob questions, I figured I did enough research but then I tried them on and confused myself
facepalm.gif
Thanks!

From a few days ago http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=6069
The consensus was as follows:
BB Tassel loafer = Aberdeen
BB Penny unlined loafer = Van
BB Blucher = Barrie
BB Straight tip = Aberdeen
BB Perforated cap toe = Snap
BB Wingtip bal = Plaza
I seem to recall discussions that the Black Fleece Longwings were on the Barrie too.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

phantomx48

Reaction score
New to the forum, and I just got a pair of Indy Natural a few days ago. Unfortunately I somehow managed to scrape the front of the shoe on the pavement while kneeling. . .anyone know what the best approach to "fixing" it would be? It just feels like anything I do with it will just end up darkening that scrape and make it stand out more.

Also, I own two other pairs of Indy's with the cork sole, but the rubber heel on these look totally different than my other Indy's. It is not nailed in, has no writing on it ("foot balance"), and it is highly textured. Did everyones Indy Natural come with this heel or is it just me?

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Can anyone explain exactly what is cordovan color 8? Is it just a shade of color for the cordovan leather?

Also, I found this...thought it was interesting how they aged differently.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ovan-over-time

That's correct, Shell Cordovan is the leather (it's horse) and #8 is the shade of burgundy dye blend that Alden uses. The term "cordovan" is often used to describe the color burgundy but that is a misconception.

The #8 burgundy color fades beautifully to a more mellowed brownish tone over time. The red colors in the dye are the first to fade from exposure to sun. This is true with many types of red dye.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
That's correct, Shell Cordovan is the leather (it's horse) and #8 is the shade of burgundy dye blend that Alden uses. The term "cordovan" is often used to describe the color burgundy but that is a misconception.

The #8 burgundy color fades beautifully to a more mellowed brownish tone over time. The red colors in the dye are the first to fade from exposure to sun. This is true with many types of red dye.

Gotcha. So #8 is exclusively to Alden. No other shoe maker like AE uses it or have a similar process?

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Gotcha. So #8 is exclusively to Alden. No other shoe maker like AE uses it or have a similar process?

Other brands might have a similar process but I believe the "#8" blend is just Alden

edyleemd

Reaction score
Just have been breaking in a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indys, which by the way are awesome! Thanks, Tom! I've been traveling, and the boots have gotten pretty dirty. Usually, I don't do much more than brush the dirt off my daily wear stuff, but the boots HAVE gotten pretty dirty. However, even online, there's no much info on how to care for the Kudu leather. I was thinking of a mild wipe down with a rag in saddle soap solution to get most of the dirt and grime off. But what should I do then? Does Kudu need any leather conditioner, neatsfoot oil, etc? It's already pretty oil-impregnated already, so not sure what I should do. I was thinking of Montana Pitch Blend, but does anybody have any better advice?

monologuist

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum (been lurking for a few weeks)...joined in order to get some ideas to help me revamp my wardrobe (and shoe-drobe) as I transition to a field where I actually have to look presentable (education).

Having subsisted on a stead diet of sneakers (mostly classics) for the last several years, I've been looking to build a rotation of versatile footwear that toes the line between professorial and mod (shooting for 3-pairs). My search has led me so far to a pair of Color 8 Jumper boots courtesy of LSBH

I ended up with the Trubalance Jumpers in the size I normally wear instead of downsizing, and it seems to fit about right in terms of length (especially arch length) and width, but volume is a little big. With this in mind, can anyone recommend either a thin insole to add that will keep to the contours of the Trubalance footbed but decrease overall volume slightly, or socks that are thicker than dress socks to take up room, but don't retain too much heat in the already hot shell cordovan leather?

Ideas for another Alden model to complement the Color 8 Jumpers are welcome as well....The Blue Leffot wingtip boot is intriguing, as are Black Indys or Brown wingtip boots (upcoming Epaulet Shell Brixtons?)

monologuist

Reaction score
Oh yes...also to weigh in on this issue of relative sizing across different Alden models and lasts:

Here is what I have experienced so far...I am a 9.5 in just about everything besides some large-running dress shoes (mostly european), and I measure about a 9 to 9.5 E on the Brannock (Left foot being slightly smaller). I have a somewhat wide forefoot, due in part to developing bunions, but otherwise fairly low-volume and low-arched. What I have tried :
- Officer Indy in a 9D : perfect fit with thin dress socks
- Epaulet Brixton (Barrie last) 9D: too narrow...felt similar in volume in Indy, but definitely more narrow in forefoot
- Shell Plain Toe boot (Barrie last) 9D: similar to Indy 9D...slightly more room than Brixton 9D
- Shell Plain Toe boot 9.5D in Shell: Felt just about right, albeit snug
- Shell Jumper boot (Trubalance) 9D: Felt a little bit tighter than Indy 9D, despite identical last...almost perfect fit with thin socks, but too tight with medium thick wool socks.
- Shell Jumper boot 9.5D: Just a touch loose with thin socks, nearly perfect with medium thick socks, although lacing is tied almost to max tightness.

...so definitely seem to be variations between models and materials, even assuming the same last and size.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I seem to recall discussions that the Black Fleece Longwings were on the Barrie too.
They are certainly on the Grant last. Here is comparison of BBBF longwing with #8 Alden stock LWB:

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
I tried to find some real life photos on the Internet of Leffot's Greenwich Boots to no avail. I will really appreciate if you can post some, preferably with jeans.
http://blog.leffot.com/2010/09/01/th...oot-breakdown/ So no one owns these boots? I thought that these were quite popular boots. Leffot put two different batches for sale within the last 6,5 months. Please someone post pictures. Any comments regarding versatility will also be greatly appreciated-- I found some previous posts of Ahab where he inquired about their versatility but it seems no one had replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads