• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I'm surprised by that. Voleur de Roses is among my least favorite roses. To me, it's in a kind of no-man's land: it's not a bright, lively rose, but neither is it dark in a compelling way, like Dark Rose or Noir de Noir. It's just blah. I'm wearing Une Rose (Frederic Malle) today, which is among my couple of favorite roses.
I dunno... VdR is just one of those that really hit with my nose. Though, I've not had a bottle in perhaps 2 years, so perhaps sniffing it now I would enjoy it as much as I did when I went through my bottle. Haven't tried Une Rose by Malle. Had one of the travel sprays of Lipstick Rose, but that one was not something I'd really put on a list of Rose scents. It sort of smelled like plastic candy.
lol8[1].gif

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
forgive my n00bness, but there are actual scents of roses that are geared for men? I need to hop on ebay and get said samples, if possible.

The two I'm familiar with are Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Montale Black Aoud, but of which I strongly recommend trying. I haven't tried any of the others discussed in the past few posts so I have no idea how they compare. Also, Creed Windsor has a strong following and is supposed to include rose (haven't tried that yet either). If you have an extra $600 laying around, maybe you can make an offer for one of Dullah's flacons
smile.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
The two I'm familiar with are Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Montale Black Aoud, but of which I strongly recommend trying. I haven't tried any of the others discussed in the past few posts so I have no idea how they compare. Also, Creed Windsor has a strong following and is supposed to include rose (haven't tried that yet either). If you have an extra $600 laying around, maybe you can make an offer for one of Dullah's flacons
smile.gif

TDC Rose Poivree as well.

DULLAH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
smile.gif

Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Montale Black Aoud are both high quality rose, but both a little too much like AMouage Lyric men, for me to like. I prefer these myself:

1. Creed Windsor
2. Czech & Speake no. 88
3. Penhaligon's Castile (orange blossom & rose)
4. Costes
5. Le Labo Rose 31

Washington Tremlett black tie is also a good one.
And Tauer's une Rose Chypree a strange yet pleasing one.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
spilled a few drops of Black Oud on myself this morning, so I guess you could say I'm wearing that today.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

If I had to pick one rose as my favorite, it would be this one.

cairomerta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DULLAH
Creed Windsor

11hzeaw.jpg

I remember this discussion over at basenotes. me and Dullah had a competition to see who had more flacons of Windsor. I ended up getting 5 but I sold 2 away and already used one. I actually have bottle #2/70 so I dont intend to open it but I absolutely love Windsor. One thing that pissed me off a bit was the fact that only 70 were made and now they are going to release another 100-150 bottles or so. So much for limited edition. I wish they would do that with Feuille Verte!!
blush.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Windsor a lot. The base is really beautiful. A tad too polite of a scent, but it's nice nonetheless.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I'm surprised by that. Voleur de Roses is among my least favorite roses. To me, it's in a kind of no-man's land: it's not a bright, lively rose, but neither is it dark in a compelling way, like Dark Rose or Noir de Noir. It's just blah. I'm wearing Une Rose (Frederic Malle) today, which is among my couple of favorite roses.
I suppose I'm the opposite in that the extremely strong rose scents range on me from unwashed crotch to lying in a bed of dead flowers. Dark Rose I found to be way too fleeting. Noir de Noir was nice if nothing spectacular. Never got any rose on that one. I'd heard good things about Malle's Une Rose but it was far too feminine on me.
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^^Definitely unwashed crotch Finally tried out Mugler Cologne. Remember when we were talking about how scents evoke colors? This one definitely screams "light green". I don't think its anything special though.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

Finally tried out Mugler Cologne. Remember when we were talking about how scents evoke colors? This one definitely screams "light green". I don't think its anything special though.

No need to try Creed Original Vetiver, then.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
No need to try Creed Original Vetiver, then.
Already been down that road. As is the same with every other Creed, Dullah's super duper specials aside, its pretty mediocre IMO.

boo

Reaction score
Trying out a new Jack Black scent that is about to be released, but didn't get the name from the Nordstroms SA. Smells exactly like Terre dHermes, perhaps with a touch of lemon. Speaking of Nordstroms, if anyone is on the Pure Malt re-release watch, it's now listed on their website.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Since you guys are all rose-happy, I pulled my decant of DSH Dirty Rose, which I've had for years but neglected since I thought it was, you know, a Rose scent. Not really. It's pretty brawny for a rose scent: patchouli, woody-leather, with some rose overlaying it all.

cairomerta

Reaction score
I am wearing the newly released Montale Black Musk. It comes in a black bottle and think of this scent as Black Aoud Light. It is literally Black Aoud with Musk to Musk (Two of my favorites) with some Smokey elements. Really really beautiful. The Perfume Court has samples of this and any montale lovers of black Aoud and any of his musk scents should definitely try this.

DULLAH

Reaction score
^Gotta test that.
Today for me is a good cheapie...Bogart Pour Homme

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads