• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
That kind of seems counter-intuitive since the Barrie Last is a fuller last than the Trubalance. So a D on the Barrie would normally be more generous in the width than the Trubalance.
ok. ill be sure to tell my 5 Trubalance boots and 4 Barrie boots/shoes that they all have their dimensions wrong (none of which are seconds). things arent always what they seem.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
ok. ill be sure to tell my 5 Trubalance boots and 4 Barrie boots/shoes that they all have their dimensions wrong (none of which are seconds).

things arent always what they seem.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you have a dialogue with your shoes. I'm just stating the fact that the Barrie is Alden's fullest last. So it definitely surprised me when you said how you work your sizing. While it may work different for you, I felt it was worth mentioning for others since there are always questions about the lasts and fit.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most shoes will fit different even on the same last based on the style and makeup of the shoe. So, a Barrie cordovan chukka will fit differently than a Barrie suede balmoral and so on.

I would say the Barrie and Trubalance have pretty similar fits, but the Barrie may have more volume and less width versus less volume and more width on the Trubalance. I would say 95% of our customers take the same size in both while some take a larger Trubalance size.

joz411no

Reaction score
Tom, from my experience you're spot on. The Trubalace is wider in front but the Barrie has more volume overall. I too wear the same size in both but prefer the fit of the Trubalance. Different shoes on the same last will give a different fit. Even different materials on the same last will fit differently. I was hoping for your input. Thanks.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Most shoes will fit different even on the same last based on the style and makeup of the shoe. So, a Barrie cordovan chukka will fit differently than a Barrie suede balmoral and so on.

Do you think this is because of the lacing and how it fits over the top of the foot? It seems like the difference between a Blucher and a Bal could cause the shoe to fit differently over the instep. The lacing doesn't adjust the same way on those two styles of shoes.

I would say the Barrie and Trubalance have pretty similar fits, but the Barrie may have more volume and less width versus less volume and more width on the Trubalance. I would say 95% of our customers take the same size in both while some take a larger Trubalance size.

I agree with this. I've seen it with customers and with my own shoes. I wear 9E comfortably in Barrie, Trubalance, and Van. No noticeable difference to me.

Arizor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Nice patina.

Thanks mate, really pleased with these after 2 years, and they just keep getting better in my view.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Do you think this is because of the lacing and how it fits over the top of the foot? It seems like the difference between a Blucher and a Bal could cause the shoe to fit differently over the instep. The lacing doesn't adjust the same way on those two styles of shoes.

I agree with this. I've seen it with customers and with my own shoes. I wear 9E comfortably in Barrie, Trubalance, and Van. No noticeable difference to me.

Jason, it's more about the makeup of the shoe and the patterns involved. Some patterns just fit large, for example the chukka. It is Alden's largest fitting shoe. Couple that with the Barrie last and shell cordovan and you have Alden's largest fitting shoe.

An interesting bit of sizing info...the Van actually isn't as large as the Barrie or Trubalance. However, the deep and large toe box allows the foot to fit further up in the shoe, hence the ability to size down a 1/2 size just like the Barrie and Trubalance.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arizor, everytime I see your boots I'm amazed. Great patina. Can I buy them back from you one day for a display piece? Seriously.

Same goes for amlai's famous #8 Indys.

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
Just got these on Tuesday, haven't worn them yet. Scotch grain calfskin, can't wait to get these beat up a bit.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arizor
Captoe #8s on Plaza last from Leathersoul, approx. 2 years of wear.

Fantastic!!!

Did you do deliberate sun exposure on those, or is it just naturally how they are turning out?

context

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
360 degree flat welt on the Leffot's. It might not seem like much, but the little things can make all the difference sometimes. Also, I might be wrong but I'd guess that the laces are the same color and just appear to be different in the pictures. I don't think Alden has a slightly different lace color that it ships. Like I said, I could be wrong about that.

I still haven't seen an entire shoe or boot in person in the natural Chromexcel, but from the swatch I don't think it's that close to whiskey. To me, the Chromexcel is a bit "cooler" in tone to the "warmer" Whiskey. But hey, what do I know???

I just got these from Leffot & wore them around the house last night.
Yes, it has 360 natural flat welts, so the sole does not stick out as far as the reverse.
You are def correct about the laces. They are brown in color instead of the reddish in the photos.
You're also right about the color tone of the leather. It's cooler & darker except around the toes.
I really love this leather & the color. I know that it will age very well.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
Just got these on Tuesday, haven't worn them yet. Scotch grain calfskin, can't wait to get these beat up a bit.

Very nice boots! Enjoy...

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
Any of you guys notice the difference between the fit of your boots and shoes made on the same size last? All of my Barrie wing-tip boots fit a little wider (which is good for me) than my LWB's. I don't notice so much a difference in length but certainly width. Perhaps it's with the understanding that boots may be worn with thicker socks?

In Barrie last, I wear 9.5D for shoes such as LWB or PTB and 9E for 9-eyelet high boots, such as Context x Alden Tanker boots even with thick socks. I suppose if I had bought the tankers in 9.5D they would fit large even with thick socks. Note that fit of 9E is a tad narrower than 9.5D but also a tad shorter, which is true for all Alden lasts.

I have not tried Alden chukkas yet, but as Tom stated, they would most probably fit larger, and as a matter of fact I would stick to at least 9E.

But in my experience there are other points that need to be taken into consideration. For instance the number of eyelets is important. If Tom had his special make up 6-eyelet chukkas in Barrie last, I would need to first try them on to see whether I would take the same size as in the classic 2-eyelet chukkas. Another point is the type of leather and the flexibility of the relative leather upper, i.e. regular calfskin, shell cordovan, suede, and perhaps reverse leathers, if they make any difference in comparison to suede in terms of flexibility. Another point is obviously whether the shoes are bluchers or balmorals. Even the quarters can be effective in determining the correct size. Note the difference in the quarter of the below Alden PTBs:

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Alde...hoe_15082.html

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Alde...Tan_16500.html

I guess patterns such as wingtip, captoe and etc. or type of stitching such as machine vs handsewn would not and IMO should not effect sizing but perhaps some people may disprove me.

Arizor

Reaction score
Arizor, everytime I see your boots I'm amazed. Great patina. Can I buy them back from you one day for a display piece? Seriously. Same goes for amlai's famous #8 Indys.
Haha thanks mate, I'll definitely let you know when I'm ready to let these beautiful boots go home
wink.gif
. jasonfoote303 - You give me far too much credit! I live in England, we rarely see the sun! This is just how they've turned out after 2 years of constant wear (they're my regular, 3 or 4 day a week boot).

mg428

Reaction score
Here is a new color variation of reverse chamois leather called "Earth":

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Alde...rse_17925.html

Jordan of Winn Perry will release a new style this Fall with this color. It will have the same specs with his Little Tanks, with the exception of the matching finish for the welt and edge trim. According to his e-mail informing his customers of pre-orders and upcoming special make-ups including this new style "this color is a very dark mud brown and appears all but black", though IMO they are not that "black" from what I see on my monitor in the above link of blackbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads