• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Malt Scotch Advice

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha... ama is always in these threads, but with good reason. Here's my take:

- if there's money allocated for Oban, spend it on Cragganmore instead
- have to agree with ama... how is Glenkinchie spicy in any way? If anything, I'd find it more "boring" than your Glenfiddich 15
- Glenfiddich 15 is the more sherried of the easy to get Glenfiddichs... also agree with ama here... get yourself a sherry-bomb and see how you like it. Aberlour A'bunadh, Macallan Cask Strength, or Glenfarclas 12 if you want to keep this a cost effective experiment.
- in general, I dislike how people suggest trying an older version of a whisky you found enjoyable, but in Highland Park's instance, you should get a hold of the 18yr. Definitely one of the modern classics of SMS.
- if you enjoyed the Laga 12, definitely explore the other distilleries of Islay. Try getting a hold of Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig Quarter Cask for more of the iodine-y/seaside flavors. I'd save Caol Ila for later... not because it's more potent or brutal, but certain bottlings can be a hit or miss. To me, Laga 16 is a less intense, but ashy-er version of the 12yr.
- you'd be doing a disservice to yourself by skipping Talisker

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a bargain I highly recommend trying Bowmore Legend. Incredible value at ~$25. Don't &quot;upgrade&quot; to the 12. Legend is much better.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was doing the Bowmore when it was $20 but for $5 less the McClellands was good off the bench.

Nizdar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon

- have to agree with ama... how is Glenkinchie spicy in any way? If anything, I'd find it more "boring" than your Glenfiddich 15
- Glenfiddich 15 is the more sherried of the easy to get Glenfiddichs... also agree with ama here... get yourself a sherry-bomb and see how you like it. Aberlour A'bunadh, Macallan Cask Strength, or Glenfarclas 12 if you want to keep this a cost effective experiment.
- in general, I dislike how people suggest trying an older version of a whisky you found enjoyable, but in Highland Park's instance, you should get a hold of the 18yr. Definitely one of the modern classics of SMS.
- if you enjoyed the Laga 12, definitely explore the other distilleries of Islay. Try getting a hold of Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig Quarter Cask for more of the iodine-y/seaside flavors. I'd save Caol Ila for later... not because it's more potent or brutal, but certain bottlings can be a hit or miss. To me, Laga 16 is a less intense, but ashy-er version of the 12yr.

Thanks a lot for everyone's input, especially for the level of detail provided by Bacon. Explaining your recommendations in detail made it easier for me to decide.

If anyone is curious, I picked up an Ardbeg 10, an Aberlour A'bunadh, and this amazingly priced Talisker multipack where I get three 200ml bottles of 10, 18, and distiller's for 30 bucks. I am chomping at the bit to get into them, especially the ~120 proof Aberlour. Probably over the course of the next week.

Thanks again.

Waistcoat

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm also after a bit of advice. I'm a scotch newbie, all I can really tell you is I absolutely love johnnie black and I find Glenfidditch a bit watery and just 'meh'. I wasn't planning on buying anything expensive just yet, but my brother in law is heading overseas in a few weeks and since he isn't a drinker I could have the chance to pick up a bargain. I was considering going for a bottle of johnnie gold $85aud), but there are several single malts available for less. On the list are:

Ardmore Highland Single malt 1L $60
Jura 10yo 1L $60
Glenlivet 12yo 1L $60aud
Glenmorangie the Original 700ml + 2 crystal tumbler $65 aud
The Macallan Select Oak 1L $70aud
Glenmorangie Lasanta 1L $80aud
Dalmore 12yo 1L $80aud

Johnnie green is also available for $70aud

Would like to hear any advice you guys could offer on what I should buy

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent advice. I definitely second the HP18, Talisker, Laphroaig and Ardbeg recommendations. Mr. Bacon is very wise in his whisky ways.
smile.gif

One other thing that I would add to the list that is certainly worth trying at some point is the Japanese single malt Yamazaki 18. The flavors are super precise and its a very interesting drink.

Originally Posted by Nizdar
Thanks a lot for everyone's input, especially for the level of detail provided by Bacon. Explaining your recommendations in detail made it easier for me to decide.

If anyone is curious, I picked up an Ardbeg 10, an Aberlour A'bunadh, and this amazingly priced Talisker multipack where I get three 200ml bottles of 10, 18, and distiller's for 30 bucks. I am chomping at the bit to get into them, especially the ~120 proof Aberlour. Probably over the course of the next week.

Thanks again.

Excellent pick ups! That Talisker multipack is an absolute steal and each one of those is a great whisky. The Tali DE might be the best DE that Diageo puts out, if not it is a close second to the Lagavulin.

What batch is Aberlour A'bunadh? The most recent ones that I've tried (26, 27, 28, 29) have been stellar. Try it first without water, its pretty hot, but sippable even at that strength.

Ardbeg 10 is a classic, can't go wrong there. I think if you like Laga 12 you'll like it a great deal.

Let us know what you think about all of them!

Originally Posted by Waistcoat
Hi guys, I'm also after a bit of advice. I'm a scotch newbie, all I can really tell you is I absolutely love johnnie black and I find Glenfidditch a bit watery and just 'meh'. I wasn't planning on buying anything expensive just yet, but my brother in law is heading overseas in a few weeks and since he isn't a drinker I could have the chance to pick up a bargain. I was considering going for a bottle of johnnie gold $85aud), but there are several single malts available for less. On the list are:

Ardmore Highland Single malt 1L $60
Jura 10yo 1L $60
Glenlivet 12yo 1L $60aud
Glenmorangie the Original 700ml + 2 crystal tumbler $65 aud
The Macallan Select Oak 1L $70aud
Glenmorangie Lasanta 1L $80aud
Dalmore 12yo 1L $80aud

Johnnie green is also available for $70aud

Would like to hear any advice you guys could offer on what I should buy

On that list nothing really strikes me as stellar. If I had to pick one of those I would chose the Macallan Select Oak just because I haven't had it and the only way to get it easily is to fly internationally.

If he is getting these from duty free, which he is I am assuming based on the bottle sizes, I would have him look for the duty free only Highland Parks. There are four, 1998 Vintage, 1994 Vintage, 1990 Vintage and 1973 Vintage. I have only had the 1990, but it was excellent.

Nizdar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

Excellent pick ups! That Talisker multipack is an absolute steal and each one of those is a great whisky. The Tali DE might be the best DE that Diageo puts out, if not it is a close second to the Lagavulin.

What batch is Aberlour A'bunadh? The most recent ones that I've tried (26, 27, 28, 29) have been stellar. Try it first without water, its pretty hot, but sippable even at that strength.

The Aberlour is batch 29, so I'm glad to hear it's a good one. The Lag 12 is 58% ABV and I don't need to water that down. Is that a decent sign that I can handle the Aberlour neat?

Btw, I am sipping some 12 right now, and it is truly amazing how much it hits the spot (I wonder if the 16 would be as good). I'll let you know how I like the new arrivals.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on Aberlour A'bunadh

Willie5566

Reaction score

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Gotta a link like that for the US?
eh.gif
If you do I will be saying:

lookaround.gif

They ship to US!
teacha.gif

As for a US based service that does the same thing I don't know if one exists.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
They ship to US!
teacha.gif

As for a US based service that does the same thing I don't know if one exists.

Hmmm...how is customs when you ship overseas. I have heard all kinds of horror stories with shipments get denied entry, items getting held up in customs for weeks upon weeks.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Hmmm...how is customs when you ship overseas. I have heard all kinds of horror stories with shipments get denied entry, items getting held up in customs for weeks upon weeks.

Those things can, and sometimes happen, but usually it is pretty seamless.

Willie5566

Reaction score
What do you think of:

Ardbeg Supernova 2010
Aberlour 19 Year Old 1990 Cask 101774 - Cask Strength
Talisker 18 Year Old
Speyburn 26 Year Old 1980 - Cask Strength Collection (Signatory)

Much to my own dismay I do not see HP 18 or Ardbeg 10 available. Are there any others you think I should try?

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
anyone try the tomatin 12 year? it was the cheapest single malt at the store and im wondering what yall think of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics