• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
VC Champs and burgers

smile.gif
I would have liked something more pink, though.

- B

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got this email from Scarecrow:

RUTHERFORD

Dear Friends,

We greet you in the spirit of abundance, and happily share with you the latest chapter in our story.

Our much lauded team of Vineyard Manager Mike Wolf and Winemaker Celia Welch have an intimate knowledge of each and every row of our Rutherford Vineyard. Each year harvest appears as a stunningly choreographed ballet. The lots rendered from all individual blocks are pressed and aged separately so as to best reveal the unique characteristics of each. There is ultimately during the course of our blending process a certain dynamic synergy that occurs. The "A-ha Moment" that we as a team, led by "˜Celia of the vigilant palate' recognize as Scarecrow.

A thrilling event transpired during the blending of our 2008 vintage. The portion of juice that wasn't included in the final Scarecrow blend was so undeniably superb that we were inspired to bottle it. Hence, with great excitement we introduce our new label from the JJ Cohn estate, M. Étain 2008, a stunning Cabernet Sauvignon which charmingly displays a perfect balance between power and elegance.

M. Étain will be offered to you in gratitude for your longstanding loyalty throughout the life and times of Scarecrow. You will receive your offer along with a user ID and password. The very existence of M. Étain will be determined on a vintage by vintage basis and accordingly, amounts will vary based on the outcome of Scarecrow blendings. We will continue to produce both Scarecrow and M. Étain on the basis of quality over quantity with the intention of meeting the highest of expectations.

Always and with great pleasure,

MIMI DEBLASIO and BRET LOPEZ

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm officially out of the wine industry game for now. Though I'll miss my nice discount I'm glad to have my weekends back. I only regret that I didn't pick up a few bottles before I left
ffffuuuu.gif

With that, I'll more than likely not be posting all that often anymore until I can afford to feed my habit
laugh.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
smile.gif
I would have liked something more pink, though.

- B

indeed, but it was part of a leftover mag from an office toast so I won't complain.

we introduce our new label from the JJ Cohn estate, M. Étain 2008
this itself is quite cool. Any price indication? Something in the $50 rage could be a big hit for them and I'd be interested in seeking out a bottle.
A thrilling event transpired during the blending of our 2008 vintage. The portion of juice that wasn’t included in the final Scarecrow blend was so undeniably superb that we were inspired to bottle it
or, alternatively, the 2008 vintage was surprisingly small across the board and one way to negate that is to sell the remains directly to consumers at a much higher price than they would by selling the juice to other winemakers (which is usually the standard)
Each year harvest appears as a stunningly choreographed ballet.
facepalm.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So the word on the street is this will come in a similar 3-pack crate as the Scarecrow, with a tin cover (unless I've forgotten all my French, Etain = tin, i.e the Tinman).

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really drink very little white wine, so when I do I want it to be really good.

b287bd2d.jpg

Very nice. Crispy, minerally and light. Very nice and about $20 a bottle. Would definitely buy again.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mark, that looks very tasty. You really score some nice stuff. Tonight for dinner, 2007 Stefania Pinot Noir Santa Cruz Mountains. If you get a chance to try one of Paul's wines, I highly recommend.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Mark, that looks very tasty. You really score some nice stuff.
Thanks. There's a wine store in uptown Dallas called Cork where I found this bottle. Their gig is that they have a tasting bar where they have...oh...30 wines or so on a given night that you can taste. Generally I've found them to be fairly steep on their pricing, but it's close to work and every now and then they have something good. They had a "high-end" wine sale last spring where I picked up a mixed case of very nice stuff, including a 2004 Ch. Margaux among others. Generally, I go there, sample a few things and get tipsy enough that I don't mind paying a slightly inflated price. They're also really nice and helpful in there. They had this bottle and I was able to sample it. Really liked it. I probably paid a bit more for it than I might have elsewhere, but I knew it was going to be good, so...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I quite like white Bordeaux wines but I never seem to buy them enough.

I just got home, so tonight it's an Italian Cortese.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
So, I'm officially out of the wine industry game for now. Though I'll miss my nice discount I'm glad to have my weekends back. I only regret that I didn't pick up a few bottles before I left
ffffuuuu.gif

With that, I'll more than likely not be posting all that often anymore until I can afford to feed my habit
laugh.gif

What happened to the gig?

- B

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We were talking about Vegas, late Feb. Do we still have interest?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would led people know about an iPhone app I found the other day that's hands-down the best tool for keeping track of wine impressions (assuming you do so outside of this thread). It's called Taste A Wine and it's a free download from a French company, though the app is in both English and French. It's basic functionality is similar to other wine apps: you can snap a photo of the label, give it a score, note the price and where it was bought, jot notes, etc. Where it shines is: - option of adding audio commentary - gps integration so you know where you drank your bottle - twitter and facebook integration to share your reviews - a 'simple mode' for critiques which consists of selecting the wine's attributes on sliding scales, e.g. Freshness and acidity can be given a rating of flabby, soft, zesty, balanced, crisp, green, or tart. There is also a list of several thousands of flavour notes which can be searched by family or alphabetically. This takes much of the work out of writing down impressions - a built-in database of over 1.4 million wines which allows you to easily record the millÃ
00a9.png
sime, region, and cuvÃ
00a9.png
e and find them later - integration with the taste a wine website which archives your reviews and allows you to search those of others, or follow other members whose tastes you appreciate It's really slick. And did I mention it's free?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
We were talking about Vegas, late Feb. Do we still have interest?

I'm interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads