• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Italy by Chinese workers

meok

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
c895c049-a2c9-4dcc-900f-37a83b1fff13.jpg

That's an Italian restaurant in Japan. </Captain Obvious>

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
Well, hello everybody, I am new here.
As an italian who loves made in italy things, I couldn't help noticing this thread.
Just wanted to let you know that there are still some good small sized factories where italian people are doing what they have been doing for many years now, making beautiful clothes etc.
I know a few of these, due to my job.
Sadly, this is more the exception than the rule nowadays, and I do think it is a shame.
Big brands would rather be spending big money on promoting their image than investing on the product.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fabiomassimo
As an italian who loves made in italy things, I couldn't help noticing this thread.
Just wanted to let you know that there are still some good small sized factories where italian people are doing what they have been doing for many years now, making beautiful clothes etc.
Sadly, this is more the exception than the rule nowadays, and I do think it is a shame.
Big brands would rather be spending big money on promoting their image than investing on the product.

I think you completely missed the point of this thread...

CMD.EXE

Reaction score

Hello Fabio,

Yes, it's true there are plenty small factories still in operation. In fact, so many good are even made in people homes nowadays.

The problem is the big clothing brands that symbolize "made in italy" overseas, they used the small factories to establish their quality in the beginning, but now since they have their enormous marketing budgets to create an image instead of the actual products doing that, they even assist the sweatshops to some extent. In a case I'm thinking of, the brand advised the factory owner he should have "at least one good factory", and if they order more than he can make he can just subcontract the work. Of course, the order are always bigger than his capacity and the subcontracting is done in sweatshops. For the brands its "out of sight, out of mind". When and if some investigation turns up the use of sweatshops, the brand has the excuse that they didn't know where it was being made outside of the one factory.

Aside from the Chinese sweatshops, theres already plenty of clothing made elsewhere in central european countries, imported to add labels, then re-exported. Often times the label/tags are added at bonded customs warehouses doing value added work like adding the tags etc.

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I think you completely missed the point of this thread...

Sorry if I did, I thought this thread was referring to the fact that many made in italy products may be made in Italy, but by immigrants. What was the point of the thread?
smile.gif

fabiomassimo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
Hello Fabio,

Yes, it's true there are plenty small factories still in operation. In fact, so many good are even made in people homes nowadays.

The problem is the big clothing brands that symbolize "made in italy" overseas, they used the small factories to establish their quality in the beginning, but now since they have their enormous marketing budgets to create an image instead of the actual products doing that, they even assist the sweatshops to some extent. In a case I'm thinking of, the brand advised the factory owner he should have "at least one good factory", and if they order more than he can make he can just subcontract the work. Of course, the order are always bigger than his capacity and the subcontracting is done in sweatshops. For the brands its "out of sight, out of mind". When and if some investigation turns up the use of sweatshops, the brand has the excuse that they didn't know where it was being made outside of the one factory.

Aside from the Chinese sweatshops, theres already plenty of clothing made elsewhere in central european countries, imported to add labels, then re-exported. Often times the label/tags are added at bonded customs warehouses doing value added work like adding the tags etc.

Exactly, there was a special documentary about this on tv last year, showing how big brands like Gucci, Prada, Bottega veneta etc. are all doing this ...

aphextwin07

Reaction score
very interesting read, thanks for sharing. i wonder when we'll see a movie adaptation of this story. it could be the international version of &quot;wall street&quot;

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly, there was a special documentary about this on tv last year, showing how big brands like Gucci, Prada, Bottega veneta etc. are all doing this ...

So these really are for Chinese by Chinese
teacha.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
almost split my sides as i rolled on the floor. when i read about a gentleman named &quot;Matteo&quot; Wong.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
almost split my sides as i rolled on the floor. when i read about a gentleman named "Matteo" Wong.

It might have been Matteo Wongoni...
devil.gif

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
So these really are for Chinese by Chinese
teacha.gif

You're thinking of FUBU (for us by us).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads