• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I am potentially dreaming here, but I am wishing for a Sunday singels match-up with Fowler and McIlroy at the Ryder Cup. This would blow my mind.

Would be epic. Hard to say who would come out on top.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The two young turks?
Yup. I believe Fowler is either 21 or 22, and McIlroy is 21

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Would be epic. Hard to say who would come out on top.
EPIC? They have one tour win between them.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dburr
EPIC? They have one tour win between them.

And arguably more game than just about anyone around

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Ah yes, here was your post disagreeing with me: Now, I'm a golf noob but have been paying attention to things like the FedEx playoffs and watching the latest events. How could you not pick the current #1? Well, since that ranking is determined on a rolling two year period. Tiger is not the Tiger of two years ago. Hell, he's not the Tiger of one year ago. In the above, you certainly seem to be making the case picking Tiger would not be the wisest thing. The bolded makes it quite clear you think picking Tiger would be a mistake. I guess you've changed your mind? So you seem to be saying that Pavin would "do the right thing" and disregard ratings. I have to think picking Tiger is certainly not about his current ability to play golf. If you want to attribute the pick to something else, fine, just please don't attribute it to the current state of Tiger's game. Maybe he'll pull things together; he's certainly improved over the last few months. I don't know. You make some good (if maybe conflicting) points but I think it's fair to say that surely, the current state of Tiger's game could not be the sole reason he got the nod. YMMV.
I certainly didn't make my point clear. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't think the current state of Tiger's game makes him the best choice. But as you said "how do you not pick the #1 player in the WGR? The real reason behind Corey's choice is this - what if I don't pick Woods and we lose? He'd be called out by every golf writer in the world. I seriously question Pavin's choice of Fowler, who has never won a professional Tournament. I hope my jugement proves wrong and Pavin to be right.

Dburr

Reaction score
Besides - no one has ever won a Ryder cup match with their ears tucked in their cap. Precedent?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Progress! This is the first time we've hit the course in about a month. Just been working on our swings at the range. Today, I got an honest to god par on a long par 4. Heck, it even included a real "up and down." I chipped for my third stroke then one putted
smile.gif
There are two par 3s across water on this course. Neither one of us has ever cleared the water. I cleared both times, for a bogey, and she cleared once and had to drop once. Scores were not impressive in the least, I got 113 (really blew up on one hole for a stunning 11
frown.gif
) and she was...somewhat over that, but her drives are now a pretty consistent 100 yard carry. Mine are still inconsistent but I smashed one for 250 (including roll). So, pretty happy with the progress. Btw, just mention this again, would smash Michelle Wie. Yikes, pic was too big.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Gross

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
^^^^^ Gross

What's gross? My score? Michelle certainly isn't.

svelten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Radagast
6.2 Handicap checking in. Worked on my game a lot this season.

One thing i've found as I get better is golf gets a bit boring. Straight baby draw in fairway, decent approach, either a chip and putt or two putts. In a way it was more fun when I was trying to chop it out of the bushes for a hope at salvaging a bogey.

Anyhow, winter is coming here so any improvements this season will soon be lost.

Never gets boring as long as your main competition keeps up. If not you need to find new golfing buddies.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Radagast
6.2 Handicap checking in. Worked on my game a lot this season.

One thing i've found as I get better is golf gets a bit boring. Straight baby draw in fairway, decent approach, either a chip and putt or two putts. In a way it was more fun when I was trying to chop it out of the bushes for a hope at salvaging a bogey.

Anyhow, winter is coming here so any improvements this season will soon be lost.

If you are like me and are getting tired of playing the same course, you need to implement some playing drills and games. I could hit balls everyday and not get tired of the repetition of the range, but can definitely see where you know pretty much what club you are going to hit off of each tee and into every green once you play. Next time you play go out with only your even or odd irons and drop a wood - pretty much play with 8 or 10 clubs instead of 14. After you do this awile you'll get really good at half shots, running the ball, and punch shots. It'll make everything more interesting. THere is also the game you can play where you set a distance from the pin where you have to hit approach shots (ie GIR) to. If you don't hit it within that area, you pull it back off the green in line from the pin and drop in the rough and try to get up and down.

I can't remember where I read it but I believe when Stewart Cink plays with his average joe friends, he plays best ball against them and they make him hit 2 of every shots and has to play the worst of hte two.

Once you get into single digit handicaps, you need to really sharpen your mental game and refine your golf course management. Not to mention if you can't already hit the standard low, normal, high trajectory shots with a fade, draw, or straight on command you'll never be really good.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Once you get into single digit handicaps, you need to really sharpen your mental game and refine your golf course management. Not to mention if you can't already hit the standard low, normal, high trajectory shots with a fade, draw, or straight on command you'll never be really good.
This. If the pin is tucked in the back right, drop 2 balls hit a high fade with one and a little punched cut with the other. This makes it far more interesting and challenging. Try playing holes differently. If you normally hit 3 wood-9 iron on a par 4, bust out the driver and follow up with a sand wedge. There are a million ways to make things interesting when you play. Edit: And no offense, but as a 6 handicap you shouldn't exactly be yawning at the game yet...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just got in from the driving range. Seven iron = very dialed in. Feels good. Driver = inconsistent. Just crushed several, several were serviceable and then at the end it just didn't feel right. Grip and take away felt wrong.

Have my 5 hybrid in the practice bag now. It = teh suck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics