• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have the Kindle 3 yet?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big reader but I kind of want to be. Anyone have the new kindle 3 yet? Deciding if I really need the "3G" coverage to download everywhere, wifi is so ubiquitous nowadays and unless I buy newspaper subscriptions it might be a waste....anyways....leaning towards the 3G version just for newspapers/blogs/etc. I have the kindle 1 and I do read from it but its a bit "wrecked" right now.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I'm not a big reader but I kind of want to be. Anyone have the new kindle 3 yet? Deciding if I really need the "3G" coverage to download everywhere, wifi is so ubiquitous nowadays and unless I buy newspaper subscriptions it might be a waste....anyways....leaning towards the 3G version just for newspapers/blogs/etc. I have the kindle 1 and I do read from it but its a bit "wrecked" right now.

I've got it. There are wikipedia and google options for the Kindle 3 (not sure if it's available for the others). It doesn't sound useful, but helps tremendously when facing a reference that one is unfamiliar with. Go with the 3G option and smaller size, and you'll be set.

As far as being a reader goes, I use mine everywhere just because it's convenient. Free books are awesome too.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting. I usually use my phone for that stuff but wonder if it works ok in other countries...that would be useful.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Kindle 2. I had a chance to return it and get a 3, but I like how the 2 is taller, so the screen will sit higher when you have it in your lap.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got my kindle 3 last week. It's awesome. You could probably live with wifi only fairly easily. For the extra $50 bucks I'd just assume get the 3G though... Still, if you're a student and oyu could put the 50 bucks towards other uses, wifi is perfectly fine..

The form-factor itself is great. It's very comfortable in my hands. There isn't anything I'd really change about it except put the power switch a the top of the device instead of the bottom. The page turns are fast and the contrast is great.

Carrying it around is a bit awkward. You almost need a case because it's so thin. If you carry a briefcase it's a non-issue.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how are the magazine and newspaper subscriptions? I have kindle on my phone and I like it...just wondering if its good to read the newspaper on the kindle every day?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Carrying it around is a bit awkward. You almost need a case because it's so thin. If you carry a briefcase it's a non-issue.

I ended up getting the leatherish (not really sure what it is) case with the integrated reading light, which solves the issue for a backpack.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
how are the magazine and newspaper subscriptions? I have kindle on my phone and I like it...just wondering if its good to read the newspaper on the kindle every day?

Wouldn't see a problem with it. Newspapers are mostly just text and the occasional images are crappy grainy ones. Would be a hell of a lot easier to read than an actual newspaper. I don't have any subs though.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with the 3G one because it would automatically sync where I am for the particular book is reading, which is useful because sometimes I read on my iPad as well.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried to get magazine subscription on it? I can use some saved space from all these Economist delivery. I assume car magazine won't really work though, too picture heavy.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Kindle 3 and like it. I read it as is. It travels in my sport coat inside pocket or in a briefcase, so I don't see the need for a case. Maybe a sleeve would be nice though.

3G vs. wifi: I bought the wifi because I am always within range of wifi. It has not been a problem but the Kindle does not work with some kinds of wifi. Had I known that, I might have bought the 3G model. It does not really matter though. 99% of the time I am reading it, and for that purpose the Kindle 3 is great in both wifi and 3G forms. The only concern I'd have about 3G is does it deplete the battery quickly.

Newspapers/magazines. You can use calibre to create or maintain subscriptions. I am somewhat oblivious to how calibre does this but it works for me and I guess the files are compiled through an RSS feed. calibre is a free program, you can google it and learn more. also calibre will manage passwords for subscriptions you buy in some if not all cases. I don't really know how well this works but I see the option. Also if you have the wifi only, calibre will push the new files to your kindle via the free email. Or you can get them onto the Kindle through the USB cable (which is how I charge mine).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you get some ghetto email working on the kindle 3?

Don't need fancy ajax gmail stuff but either gmail's basic html interface or one of the simple webmail systems that I could host myself somewhere to check gmail (like squirrel mail) would be awesome and worth the $50

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gmail works, but the browser reminds me of something ancient.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a Kindle 3 to do ghetto gmail. The browser is much improved since the firmware update but it's still very slow loading with complicated pages. Think life on a 56k modem. And then if it displays the full page, the type is illegibly small. So you need to use the browser's zoom function to enlarge a 1/4 page. Then you use the 4 direction pad to slowly bump the mouse to where you want to click.

It's great for checking the weather, reading mobile news sites, etc., but the Kindle 3 is not even close to rivalling the web browsing ability of say the iPad.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading the forum on my Kindle 3 right now. Shoe Appreciation in e-ink is,uh, PG-13.

Sent from my Kindle 3

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads