• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Fitzgerald v.s. BF

bluebonnet

Reaction score
In search for my first suit in the last 10 years, I am debating between fitz and bf. I need 36S, and a shorter jacket like BF may be better than Fitz. When I tried a Fitz 36S in BB store, it fits well except some bump under collar and the jacket is still a tad long. (less than half inch maybe)

But I am also slim (29 waist). Is it true that BBBF is really boxy? At least that's what I see on their website. I understand the models are wearing size 0 so they look ridiculous, but even size 0 seems to have little suppression.

For those of you who own one or both, can you give me some input?

Thanks.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
both have a 6 in drop so technically have the same amount of waist suppression. however the black fleece have side vents, whereas fitz is center vent, which means you can take it in a little bit more. black fleece would prob work best for you, or try the milano model on instead of the fitz

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
both have a 6 in drop so technically have the same amount of waist suppression. however the black fleece have side vents, whereas fitz is center vent, which means you can take it in a little bit more.
This is the wrongest thing I've heard all day. The six-inch drop simply means the nominal chest measurement is six inches larger than the nominal waist measurement--it has nothing to do with the waist suppression of the jacket. As for venting affecting waist suppression, it's true that side vents gape a bit more easily, and are a bit more sensitive to added suppression, but that's not a variable that should really enter into calculations.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is what I found most disappointing with BF. The waist suppression is almost non existant and you need like an A shaped body with its narrow shoulders.

Also, do all Fitzgeralds have center vents? I thought some came with side vents.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
This is the wrongest thing I've heard all day. The six-inch drop simply means the nominal chest measurement is six inches larger than the nominal waist measurement--it has nothing to do with the waist suppression of the jacket. As for venting affecting waist suppression, it's true that side vents gape a bit more easily, and are a bit more sensitive to added suppression, but that's not a variable that should really enter into calculations.
why would that be the wrongest thing? how would you define waist suppression then? it's a correlation between the sihlouette of the jacket made by the waist vs chest and hips. technically you can have waist suppression on any jacket, it just looks ugly. just take it in alot at the sides, and leave the skirt untouched, but then it looks like a women's jacket. all fitz are gonna be center vent. the fitz has the same problem of bf, narrow shoulders but still too big in the waist.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's because waist suppression is a very different thing then drop and has nothing do do with the size of the trousers. Waist suppression relates to how much the waist of the jacket is taken in. The pant sizes have nothing to do with that, it only relates to the cut of the jacket.

When the term "boxy" is thrown around, that means that the jacket needs more waist suppression. One can have a boxy or more waisted jacket without any difference in the pants.

Quite simply, I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

bluebonnet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle

all fitz are gonna be center vent. the fitz has the same problem of bf, narrow shoulders but still too big in the waist.

I was told by the sale person that fitz are cut more than BF although he acknowledged he had not seen a BF suit yet in his store.
ffffuuuu.gif

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluebonnet
I was told by the sale person that fitz are cut more than BF although he acknowledged he had not seen a BF suit yet in his store.
ffffuuuu.gif

so he was talking out his ass.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Regent is actually a 7 inch drop, whereas fitz is 6. All the fitz I've tried have been far too slim in the chest, arms, and shoulders. The regent seems to be made more for an athletic frame than its counterpart- more generous in the top block, but not as slim in the body.

There are now darted BF suits that have a decent amount of shape. From a fit perspective alone, these probably strike the best compromise between slimness and accommodation of build. FYI BF suits have a 7 inch drop, at least the ones I've seen

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
It's because waist suppression is a very different thing then drop and has nothing do do with the size of the trousers. Waist suppression relates to how much the waist of the jacket is taken in. The pant sizes have nothing to do with that, it only relates to the cut of the jacket.

When the term "boxy" is thrown around, that means that the jacket needs more waist suppression. One can have a boxy or more waisted jacket without any difference in the pants.

Quite simply, I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

while they are not synonymous, they most certainly are correlated.

you are not going to find suits with massive waist suppression and small drops.

conversely, you are not going to find suits with boxy jackets and massive drops.

there is a difference between two things meaning strictly the same thing, and their being correlated.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
conversely, you are not going to find suits with boxy jackets and massive drops.
Actually, I think that's exactly what the standard "athletic size" is--a standard jacket with an 8 or 10 inch drop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads