• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Too many of them taste like fertilizer rather than dirt. You should move onto Bergerac and Irouleguy. I need an advanced scout for those as well. Also, if you are lucky they will put a little hair on your chest.

I have disliked every single one of these I have ever had. Granted, that's a sample size of maybe 12.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have disliked every single one of these I have ever had. Granted, that's a sample size of maybe 12.
It's awful stuff.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I believe I read once that TCA can also reside and infect the basic piping used in wineries - and that it can basically require a winery to replace most of its equipment.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You should move onto Bergerac and Irouleguy. I need an advanced scout for those as well.

It's awful stuff.

Try a BÃ
00a9.png
lingard Bergerac rosÃ
00a9.png
with smoked seafood...but not as your first bottle of the evening.

Rinse well afterwards.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I believe I read once that TCA can also reside and infect the basic piping used in wineries - and that it can basically require a winery to replace most of its equipment.

I toured a winery in Indiana this summer (
laugh.gif
I know, know and yes the "wine" was awful but I had no choice... ) and they actually discussed this. They had problems and spent a decent fortune retooling some things and changing their cleaning processes.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I toured a winery in Indiana this summer (
laugh.gif
I know, know and yes the "wine" was awful but I had no choice... ) and they actually discussed this. They had problems and spent a decent fortune retooling some things and changing their cleaning processes.

I have visited many wineries in Indiana. They are all pretty bad. The main problem, at least at most of them, is that they can only make what they're going to sell, so they end up making this sickly sweet nasty crap, half the time derived from fruit that isn't grapes, and sell it to the tasteless pricks that live around here.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif

I hope I don't get leg hairs in the must.

If you ever visit or work a crush, you'll realize leg hairs are way down the list of nasty things that make it into the press. Mice, lizards, snakes, tools, all kinds of nastiness gets in there. I guess there are worse ways to die, eh?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The main problem, at least at most of them, is that they can only make what they're going to sell, so they end up making this sickly sweet nasty crap

yep, it's the same for a lot of the producers in the Finger Lakes. A shame, but every so often you get a fantastic winery with awesome offerings (Herman J. Weimer is my personal favorite, but also big props to Dr. Konstantin Frank).

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Chateau Montelena had this problem in the last ten years or so. I personally never found any systematic problem with their wines, but they went public with it and let all their customers know they were working on eradicating it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I have visited many wineries in Indiana. They are all pretty bad. The main problem, at least at most of them, is that they can only make what they're going to sell, so they end up making this sickly sweet nasty crap, half the time derived from fruit that isn't grapes, and sell it to the tasteless pricks that live around here.

Seriously. Take Oliver Winery, apparently one of the largest-volume sellers in the midwest. It's an extensive operation. The vineyards look great. But everything tasted as if it was from syrup concentrate.

They are actually investing in those big fans to keep the frost off the vines. During the tour (it was a small private affair), I said, that's great, but what do you do about the 4 straight weeks of 105 degrees with 20 inches of rain.
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
If you ever visit or work a crush, you'll realize leg hairs are way down the list of nasty things that make it into the press. Mice, lizards, snakes, tools, all kinds of nastiness gets in there. I guess there are worse ways to die, eh?

Thank god for fermentation, eh?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
2007 Hallopière Vin de Pays du Val de Loire with a salad for dinner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics