• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amateur fights

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
You know, I don't remember being particularly hurt....while I was in the ring, I basically could not feel anything. The days following, I remember being pretty sore, but certainly no serious damage was sustained.

I have a better record than Matt (3-1, not boxing, but MMA), which says nothing, but yeah, pretty much the same experience, except that I got KO'd (in the 1), and that sort of had me sitting in a heap for a while. I also vomited in the change room afterward, but the doctor gave me a cleap bill of health.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know - I was assuming 3 on 3, which is what we spar, but I have to check, one minute rounds would work to my advantage.

I'm 43, I'll be 44 when the fight time comes. the guy that I might be matched against is a little older, and about the same weight, but about 8 inches taller, with substantially better reach. he retiered young, and trains every day, and has been boxing for 7 or 8 years regularly. so I have strength on him, he has reach and skill and wind. I can build up my skills and my wind over the next few months, but we'll see if enough.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I got KO'd once as well, but even then, I don't really remember it being particularly painful per se...like...I have crashed a mountain bike...that was painful, I broke a wrist playing Aussie football...that was painful, I broke my thumb boxing...painful.

Getting KO'd didn't really, like...hurt...I mean, I was hit hard, no doubt, and I wouldn't go so far as to call the experience pleasant, but basically I just lost my balance, felt kinda feint, and took longer than ten seconds to get back up again.

I was a bit sore and bruised the next day, but it wasn't anywhere near the pain scale of any of a bunch of other things I have put myself through.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you get asked to fight? Is it a charity event?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
spend long enough in a fighting gym, sooner or later someone taps you on the shoulder and says 'interested?'

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I have a better record than Matt (3-1, not boxing, but MMA), which says nothing, but yeah, pretty much the same experience, except that I got KO'd (in the 1), and that sort of had me sitting in a heap for a while. I also vomited in the change room afterward, but the doctor gave me a cleap bill of health.

that doesn't scare me as much as loosing a tooth - my coach once wacked me in the stomach in sparing and got me vomiting for about 3 days (only when I ate, though).

thanks

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Getting KO'd didn't really, like...hurt...I mean, I was hit hard, no doubt, and I wouldn't go so far as to call the experience pleasant, but basically I just lost my balance, felt kinda feint, and took longer than ten seconds to get back up again. .
yeah, I've been knocked out a couple of times, and that wasn't a biggie.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
spend long enough in a fighting gym, sooner or later someone taps you on the shoulder and says 'interested?'

yeah, also, I'm white with just a single tatoo and gray hair, they are looking for the "white collar" in white collar boxing

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
that doesn't scare me as much as loosing a tooth
mouthguard and headgear...highly unlikely. fwiw - I've lost a bunch of teeth. Bike accident when I was 12. That hurt too.
smile.gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get one of those fancy custom fitted mouthguards, not a $1 bargain special, and I'd say your chances of losing teeth would be at a minimum. It'll also help prevent you from getting KO'd.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mouthguard and headgear...highly unlikely.

fwiw - I've lost a bunch of teeth. Bike accident when I was 12. That hurt too.
smile.gif

yeah, I was really calm about this until my wife chimed in, and I wanted to get some other opinions on it - cause their are a lot of guys in my gym without teeth, and it wouldn't kill me to loose a tooth, but I know that the process can take 1-2 months to replace a tooth with an implant, and they are about 5 K a piece, so I don't want to be on the job for 2 months with a gap in my smile.

anyway, thanks all for the input.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
do it. Your mother in law will hate you for it. do it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yeah, I think that I will. also, it gives me a specific goal to train for, like doing a marathon. I can set myself some specific goals and work in that direction.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif
Anyways... good luck with the fight.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think my MIL would like the idea of somebody getting a chance to beat the crap out of me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads