• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Me 2. Don't think I'll try it out anytime soon. By the way, did you in the end get the single or the double?
I got a 2003 single, single spark. It's a good, extremely versatile bike but it doesn't do too well on long fast highway stuff. On a week long trip totally loaded with camping gear I was getting around 59 MPG most of the time.
Originally Posted by Flambeur
You gentlemen don't like getting dirty?
confused.gif

I'd be down for it and I hoped to do more this summer but I don't have any friends who are into that and I have almost no experience riding off road. I think it would be smarter for me to find someone with smaller dirtbikes who can show me how to ride them properly. I know the skills translate somewhat to the bigger bikes so it would be better to ride something that can handle being dropped a little better.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You gentlemen don't like getting dirty?
confused.gif

To be honest, I only have the bike for two weeks now, and still learning to ride (better). Also it's on road tires atm. (Bridgestone BT45). I would like to try it, but I think the Dr Big is not a beginners off road bike and that's very much what I am.
Originally Posted by j
I got a 2003 single, single spark. It's a good, extremely versatile bike but it doesn't do too well on long fast highway stuff. On a week long trip totally loaded with camping gear I was getting around 59 MPG most of the time.
Excellent mpg with luggage. I hope to have a motorcycle camping experience next summer. My brother just did part of the Route des grandes Alpes on his 1150GS (lots of curvy mountainous roads) and it sounded very attractive. My drivers licence classes were in part on the parallel twin 650GS. Very nice to drive.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
To be honest, I only have the bike for two weeks now, and still learning to ride (better). Also it's on road tires atm. (Bridgestone BT45).

I would like to try it, but I think the Dr Big is not a beginners off road bike and that's very much what I am.

Oh yeah better be careful. That's a really cool bike you have, too bad I don't think we ever got those in the US. 800cc one cylinder.. that's nuts!

Kookz

Reaction score
Anybody here do Dual-sport/Adventure riding?

I just [accidentally] bought an R1200GS. I didn't think it would sell for as cheap as it did!

sprgcyn1.jpg

GSwheelieHollister.jpg

187285022_rX9dV-L-1.jpg

Tuk.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was riding my Bonneville through the mountains this weekend, reasonable speed, about 30 mph or so. Was taking a corner that I've taken many times before, roads were not wet, no visible gravel.. Rear time just started to slide out from under me...
eek.gif

Actually went so far off balance, sole of my boot hit the ground for a second before tire corrected.

No idea what happened, unless there was loose sand I didn't see in the glare of the sun.

Be careful out there gentlemen.

Kookz

Reaction score
Glad to hear you saved it! Don't want to end up like my friend who I mentioned a few pages back (stalled car on a bridge). It's been a month since the accident/2 weeks since the surgery and he's finally able to start putting some weight on his left elbow and type with two hands. It sucks that he has to go through it all over again in 3 months when they take the plates out.
IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2037.JPG

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Was riding my Bonneville through the mountains this weekend, reasonable speed, about 30 mph or so. Was taking a corner that I've taken many times before, roads were not wet, no visible gravel.. Rear time just started to slide out from under me...
eek.gif

Actually went so far off balance, sole of my boot hit the ground for a second before tire corrected.

No idea what happened, unless there was loose sand I didn't see in the glare of the sun.

Be careful out there gentlemen.

Any chance there were newly painted lines on the road? They spray (invisible) glass beads into the paint to make it reflective and they are very slippery. I met them on Lolo pass into Idaho a couple years ago and luckily didn't lose it. Other than that, sand or maybe you hit a squished animal or small patch of oil/diesel and didn't notice? That happened to me on 101 near Eureka, freaked me right out.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Any chance there were newly painted lines on the road? They spray (invisible) glass beads into the paint to make it reflective and they are very slippery. I met them on Lolo pass into Idaho a couple years ago and luckily didn't lose it. Other than that, sand or maybe you hit a squished animal or small patch of oil/diesel and didn't notice? That happened to me on 101 near Eureka, freaked me right out.

Think it was something along the lines of loose sand or as you mention, a patch of oil or transmission fluid, since this particular road didn't have painted lines.. You're telling me about the freak out part, scares the **** out of you when you are not expecting something like that to happen..

That said, I am thinking about putting a set of mini-apes in my forty-eight, think they'll look better than the drag bars that came stock.. Will post pics..

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My life sucks -- think I got on my motorcycle all of maybe 4 times this summer.
frown.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rohde88
That plus you live in Canada
wink.gif

Our riding season/6months of the year is just underway!

Six month riding season and you are in Miami? I would have thought it'd be much longer than that. Where I am, folks ride from April through October, and I've even seen some folks out in November.

rohde88

Reaction score
Six month riding season and you are in Miami? I would have thought it'd be much longer than that. Where I am, folks ride from April through October, and I've even seen some folks out in November.

Too hot in a leather jacket, I can't stand sweat streaming into my eyes at every stoplight and its not very safe either.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ride as long as it's above 38-40. Hell, I might ride when it's snowing this winter, just for fun.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rohde88
Too hot in a leather jacket, I can't stand sweat streaming into my eyes at every stoplight and its not very safe either.

When it's hot out I just ride with my silver (reflecting) mesh jacket, mesh gloves and dirt helmet (more air circulation) Not necessarily pleasant but bearable once I start moving.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Great thread! I just discovered it this morning. I'm the proud new owner of this
theHarley.jpg
I live in San Francisco and have been riding a new Vespa GTS300 for the last year or so. I love it in the city but I just wanted more power for the open road. I wanted something truly classic so I started thinking about some of the European bikes but all of a sudden I just knew I wanted American. It's my first bike so I'm still getting used to the clutch but man is it fun to ride! Now I need a leather jacket. I'll search the thread but have been reading a lot of great feedback about Fox Creek. Any advice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads