• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longwing help: ideal gunboat color?

dasai

Reaction score
I just put in an order for a pair of black oxfords, so I've got some time while I save up my pennies, but for my next pair of shoes, I'm thinking of longwing bluchers for casual/dress-casual wear. (My budget means I'm basically looking at A-E's MacNeil.)

I'm partial to the grain calf models, myself. I like the walnut, already having a pair of Strands in the color, but I don't know that it's dark enough for a heavy, double-soled shoe I primarily see myself wearing from fall to spring. The burgundy cordovan looks nice, too, but it's sort of out of my price range at the moment. Not interested in black. But anyhow, while I weigh my options and look for spare change, I'm interested in getting some input here.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think walnut or tan in general is best for longwings. I have a pair that I wear all the time and they go with everything.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I would say brown would be my first choice. I would choose the chestnut as a second, but I'm not a fan of grain leather.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a few factors to consider in making your choice would be:
-how often would you wear them
-which colour will be more versatile with your daily needs

Even though your Strands are walnut, the MacNeil styling is quite different.
Though they are a longwing, the walnut colour will give them a far lighter effect than in black.
Rich and substantial to the eyes of others. You're sure to receive compliments from those who appreciate nicer shoes. You know your preferences best but I would go with the walnut.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with Cigar or #8. Assuming we are talking about cordovan leather, otherwise I am with Doc.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I would go with Cigar or #8. Assuming we are talking about cordovan leather, otherwise I am with Doc.

In my mind, the great thing about a longing is versatility. For some reason, I can't fathom wearing ravello or cigar (let alone whiskey) with a suit, but #8 raises no concern.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my favorite. I've had the lighter chestnut types before, but didn't get as much use out of them.

DSCF5473.jpg

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#8 or burgundy shell, given OP's budget he is relegated to fishing on ebay or b/s for a pair of vintage Flrosheim/Hanover or used AE Macneils, but thats fine anyways, it's what I did

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving my Tan pebble long wing...
IMG_3527.jpg
IMG_3528.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
#8.

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Standard.

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
#8 or burgundy shell, given OP's budget he is relegated to fishing on ebay or b/s for a pair of vintage Flrosheim/Hanover or used AE Macneils, but thats fine anyways, it's what I did

+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8 for shell

walnut for pebble grain

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads