• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Italy by Chinese workers

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called racism in disguise. Similar in Africa, where Asian entrepreneurs are looking for market opportunities. Yet on CNN they blow it out of proportion, by saying the African community are badly treated. Africa has been exploited for centuries[think slavery?], so don't get me started.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prato and prontomoda (low end pret-a-porter) have nothing to do with high level italian clothing and also with Tuscan leather industry (even if chinese sweatshops are making their way into it).

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall an article from a couple of years back re some best restaurants in Rome are now heavily staffed by African migrants.

In the Italian section of the city I live in, many of the best Italian restaurants are owned and operated by Chinese.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is nice. When in Rome, I'll speak Mandarin to order authentic local dishes
cheers.gif
It's time everyone starts learning Chinese.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Which people are those?

Where the phudge do you get shrimp wonton noodle soup for $5 a bowl? The line is always long, and even black people dig Chinese "goods".

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, expertise is still important in this sector. I recall an article where an Italian designer looked everywhere(locally), he was not satisfied with the results and eventually resorted to chinese immigrants.

Want proof? There should some Filson production pics around. Also Langlitz Leathers(too hard-core for this forum) has an asian employee

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Now it's time to send more Chinese to Mexico, Latin America, and wherever there are failed states. Italy will lose at least 15% of its aging workforce in the next few decades if not for immigration. Italian quality hasn't always been state of the art. Anything of quality can be found elsewhere, esp. in Asia today. Take a Colnago bicycle frame. You guys bought the rear stay triangle in Taiwan and welded it to the central triangle in Italy and called the entire product "made in Italy". Today, Taiwanese monocoque frames are lighter, cheaper, and more advanced then anything I've seen from Italy. So, the knife really cuts both ways. This "issue" is basically reverse colonization, what the whites have done to China and the rest of Asia for over 100 hundred years. Payback a biotch isn't it?
musicboohoo[1].gif

I wasn't aware that Italy had colonized China. Are all Europeans just generic 'whites' to you? Must all Europeans suffer as some sort of penance for the perceived past misdeeds of others who might share their skintone?
Originally Posted by bkstone
The immigrants are the last thing Italy should worry about. How can they worry about the small amount of immigrants when 80% of Italian businesses in Italy pay "mob/mafia tax"? The ironic thing is that illegals in Italy are also smuggled in by the mafia.
5086.gif

On the contrary, while organized crime should be stamped out, immigration alters the demographics - and consequently the fundamental nature of a country - in a way which is all but impossible to undo. It would be an absolute crime if a country such as Italy became just another polyglot culture-void composed of multiple, competing racial groups for the sake of a few short-term gains by a tiny number of businessmen.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Which people are those?

Actually people already seek them out - be it quality or not. You can call it the "Wal-Mart" phenomenon.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is how pasta was introduced into the Veneto from the empire of the Great Khan.

So: old story.

- B

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno

How much is a label that says Made in Italy worth? Apparently enough to warrant a Chinese invasion of a city in Italy.

Maybe you want a label that says "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIAN WORKERS" rather than "MADE IN ITALY BY CHINESE WORKERS"

Or do you prefer "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS WHO LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE"?

Is that better?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Or do you prefer "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS WHO LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE"?

You do realize that the maker can still be ethnically Chinese and still fit the above criteria, right?
teacha.gif

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

You do realize that the maker can still be ethnically Chinese and still fit the above criteria, right?
teacha.gif

Of course I do. I was simply making a point.

Perhaps some people would be happier with this label: "MADE IN ITALY BY ITALIANS WHO LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE AND NOT MADE BY CHINESE IMMIGRANTS, BE THEY LEGAL OR ILLEGAL, WHO MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE LEARNED THE SARTORIAL ARTS IN AN ITALIAN DESIGN SCHOOL UNDER THE MASTER TUTELAGE OF ITALIAN MASTER TAILORS WHO WERE BORN IN ITALY, LIVE IN ITALY AND WHO SPEAK ITALIAN AND WHO EAT ITALIAN FOODS AND DRINK ITALIAN WINE"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads