• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
I don't know... I kind of felt like she made a good point to Peggy.

Her point was interesting. Joan had a convoluted but effective roundabout way to handle the problem. A female solution.

Peggy handled it like a man, Bam - You're fired. Peggy had no way of knowing that Joan had a solution so she went ahead and took care of it. Joan needs to STFU.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved this episode and Don's coming to terms with his drinking. Wonder if he ends up in AA at some point. It was weird going through a whole episode without an appearance from Roger. And what ever happened to Bert Cooper? The guy is really MIA.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm glad it didn't have too many superfluous storylines going on this time. that was a solid episode of tv right there.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
And what ever happened to Bert Cooper? The guy is really MIA.

Perhaps Cooper has no office? I think in 8 episodes so far, we've seen pretty much all the rooms there and it's not a terribly big space. Maybe that's why he has his afternoon pudding or jello in the reception and Blankenship hinted by Sterling as working in Cooper's apartment.

On top of that I'm sure Pryce has replaced a lot of what Cooper did. Cooper used to review the media purchases with Crane. Now I'm sure Pryce has a much more structural review (this so called traffic meeting?).

I wonder if Cosgrove gets an office?

bkk

Reaction score
Joan made a great point in the elevator, but she's only trying to cover her ass at this point. She's been called out. She has a unique skill set, but they seem to not be nearly as valuable in the new office.

The last line about how Betty has everything and Don has nothing was perfect in its bass ackwardness. Betty has all of the tangibles that we try to achieve, but Don has the relationships and accomplishments Betty could never garner. Don has a dingy apartment with a view of what looked to be an alley, but he understands the intangibles make life great.

Fantastic show. Its my one true "must see" program.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only meaningful relationship in his life just ended this season. if he died today, he'd die alone. at least betty's allowing him more access to his kids now.

lou

Reaction score
Loved the episode but didn't buy Faye's swooning over him, and her ready to drop her panties to him.

Draper got his Mojo back. Loved the scene of him walking down the office hall in total charge.

lou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
i forgot her backstory. what does she do?

She is a research psychologist doing freelance work for the firm.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notice the return of the grey suit? Draper has been wearing Navy lately (darker colors). I knew as soon as he stepped out of NYAC in one it was meant to symbolize he was back on his game. No coincidence I'm sure.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Five episodes left for an end of series arc. Wonder which way they will go. Probably 1) Bert Cooper will die because he has no role to play on the show. Hopefully, he will have a swan song focusing on how the Sixties looks to someone his age; or 2) the younger guys will force him out since he doesn't play any role in the business (except maybe capital financing, not sure how the economics of a small ad firm would work on that) and he must have a large draw; or 3) Lucky Strike will leave, jeopardizing the firm and Roger. Or all of the above.

{Its kind of funny that their big account is Lucky Strike. In the real world, Lucky Strike must have had about the worst ad agency in the world. By the time, I became cognizant of cigarette brands in early 1980's Lucky Strike was the moldiest brand name out there. They fell faster than Schlitz}

Watts riots occurred in summer of 1965. Also, escalation of Vietnam war in December. Guess Mr. Joan goes to Germany, so she won't have to feel as guilty when she starts her affair with Sterling.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one who found this episode boring. As it is, Mad Men is not exactly fast paced, and the introspection really bogged down the flow. That, coupled with the pool and bed scenes really made the episode a snoozer. It felt more like "Intro to Don Draper's psyche 101" than Mad Men.

I did like Joan sticking it to Peggy. She does get a bit high and mighty with her "I'm going places" ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads