• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doink
First trip to Toronto Temperance Soociety. Like the space and drinks, would not pay a membership.

Also a trip to an old faithful, sneaky dees.

That's like my trip in reverse.

I drop by to start a night or polish off a night, was going to do it on Friday. However, my best night is still my first trip there on a Thursday. Adrian was the sole bartender for awhile and he's very loquacious and knowledgeable. Unfortunately I don't even know if he's there anymore as I haven't seen him in the last 2 or 3 trips; the place started with 2 bartenders and the writer, Christine. But the one bartender left by my first visit to New Orleans and Christine went back to her literary pursuit (guessing she's just a partner).

I stuck out rather like a peacock at Sneaky dee's; more a story of we're drunk, let's order some food and stare at it and drink.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RickiSonia
My husband and I are taking a weekend trip to Toronto. We are in our late 20's and go a few times per year. Where should we go for dinner that we can get out under $100? We're looking for a cool atmosphere.PS-The last time I posted this question, someone recommended Hard Rock and Kelsey's. That is NOT what I'm asking.....

Check out The Rebel House on Yonge at the Rosedale Subway station, Duggans on Victoria St. Yasuka on Cumberland Avenue in Yorkville, Bedford Academy on Prince Arthur Avenue. If you are willing to stray a bit from downtown, the the Queen streetcar east to the Beaches neighbourhood and check out Whitlocks. This is just scratching the surface and enjoy your stay here.

doink

Reaction score
Another good meal at origin. Odd mix of people from wealthy old people, to a few people with babies to tourists.

On another note, even if you are sitting on a patio, please take off your hat, especially baseball caps, at the dinner table. I'm sure not one here does it, but had to be said.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I read about that place. Only one sitting a night ? No reservations? All the way out in God knows where?

The only thing it has is Michael Stadtländer and yes I copied and pasted that name.

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Eigensinn Farm!

can't wait to hear a full report. It is one of the top dining experiences in the world.

TheButler

Reaction score
No reservations and only one sitting does not compute. So you traipse out to the middle of nowhere and may get turned away? I thought it was "Reserve in advance. Way in advance." There's only room for a twelve.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alcoholic stupor - mixed it up with Haisai.

I have to do a bunch of work lunches and dinners this week. Reallly would be more enjoyable if it was with better company. Also my boss is choosing the venue. What is a good way to usurp the boss' choice?

(God I hope it's not Oliver and Bonacini)

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help..who books Spice Route on a patio for a work dinner when it's 32c. I hope the dry cleaners don't mess up my BBBF.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah the weather has been absolutely horrendous lately. oh well, last days of patio-compatible climate, might as well enjoy it

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Convinced my boss to sit inside. I have only been to Spice Route for drinks. The food is frankly subpar or whatever they ordered was. Tuna sushi was steeped in batter. Wasabi shrimp not impressive. "Dim sum" - the har gow skin was cooked so long it was biting me back. I could go on but I won't. It's kind of like Ki but for "fusion".

Service was hard to comprehend. We had a veggie non-drinking person and the waitress almost scoffed at him having a tea. She said the teas weren't very good but she'll see. Well, if they suck, why the bloody hell are they on the menu? We had a person who didn't eat chicken and in spite of that, she recommended chicken dishes.

Polished off at Bymark. Pretty quiet - most wait staff talking and anticipating the TIFF rush.

Another line up of money pits for tomorrow I'm guessing.

Oh I did have the beef short ribs and fish tacos at South of Temperance. I wasn't impressed with the fish tacos but the short ribs were very tender. The bones were literally decorations as the meat was either marinated very long or ***** - you can eat it with a fork. Portions were a bit small but I was there for lunch. The short ribs come with some flavourless sides like couscous with assorted canned veggies.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I spent the week in Paris and it seems no one posted any new places?

Anyone go to...Scarpetta?

I'm due at Lai Wai Heen on Wednesday. I haven't been there in years. I hope it's still quality.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
[...] I'm due at Lai Wai Heen on Wednesday. I haven't been there in years. I hope it's still quality.
Went to LWH last Saturday. It was good, but not great, not as great as the first time I went. Not sure if it was just the novelty, or maybe the selection of dishes. Anyway, I suggest to stay away from the fried stuffed eggplant as that was just boring, greasy and tasteless. The lobster dumpling was not very lobstery, at least not for the $3.50/pc price tag. Har Gow was very good, but I think I've had it better there. The beef rice noodle was ok, they have a new twist where they fill it with fried bean curd, but that comes at the cost of lower-quality beef. Kind of a 'crunchy roll', interesting. The corn/chicken rice noodle was surprisingly good. Tea was delicious as always.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lai Wah Heen lunch... XO chicken fried rice...not much XO, not very spicy except for one or two peppers. Got the usual dumplings, har gow, siu mai and all of that. Thought they were OK. $60+ tip.

Lai Wah Heen dinner - set dinner for 6, peking duck, fried beef thing, fish with asian greens, big spicy shrimps and some kind of soup plus a fried rice to finish. $370 + tip. The duck was pretty good. Shrimps were really good. Fish was okay. The other stuff was rather plain. So in general some hit and misses. Service was consistent and much better than lunch. I'm guessing most people come here for this. No alcohol either.

Oro for lunch - sea bream w/greens. Very salty. $49+tip.

Too rainy today to contemplate anything else.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Petit Gourmet
1064 Yonge St, Toronto (Summerhill)

A little bit of Paris on Yonge. Cozy, tiny neighborhood eatery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads