• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sourcing my frustratingly specific formalwear needs?

Krawczak

Reaction score
I am getting married in October 2011, and I have more or less settled on what I'd like. This is something of a "budget" wedding, so I'm leaning towards small MTM houses or quality OTR; while I want this stuff to be inexpensive for myself and my groomsmen, I absolutely don't want it to LOOK cheap. Since there will be little call for most of these garments to be worn often, I'm okay with skimping on quality as long as the fit is good and the fabric doesn't look polyestery Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Me: white tie. Tailcoat (ideally with grosgrain lapels), white pique waistcoat, etc. Flat front trousers.

Groomsmen: Black tie. On the slimmer side, Peak grosgrain lapels, one button, flat front. Do you think I can get away with putting them in white pique waistcoats for a slightly more formal look? If so, would a double-breasted waistcoat work with the tailcoat? (i.e. double-breasted waistcoat for me, single-breasted for them)

Where do I get this stuff without breaking the bank? Am I crazy? I've purchased exceptionally good MTM for very good prices (what's up ThickAsThieves), so I'm thinking that might be my best option, but where should I go?

Thanks,
Alexander

EDIT: also, am I going to look like a jackass in a tailcoat? You'll probably say yes, and I'll probably do it anyway.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off what do you mean by "budget" and "bank"?

You seem to be in conflict between form and function.

And if you are looking for utility, you probably don't want to go white tie unless you have further need such as live in Vienna or have a Victorian or Steampunk society nearby that you plan on attending functions at. For some reason I keep wanting to tell you to buy a pair of bib waders and spray pant them black as they might be more useful for you, but this will not do due to the solar heat absorption of the waders which will cause sweating and insect attraction requiring more DEET.... what was my point?

Oh yeah, what is your budget?

ETA: You will not look like a jackass in a tailcoat unless you ignore our advice.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krawczak
Me: white tie. Tailcoat (ideally with grosgrain lapels), white pique waistcoat, etc. Flat front trousers.

EDIT: also, am I going to look like a jackass in a tailcoat? You'll probably say yes, and I'll probably do it anyway.

Are you sure that you want white tie?

Morning dress:

2hyw3np.jpg

Morning suit:

v60j9e.jpg

Evening dress (white tie):

33nhtgh.jpg

2i1nxj5.jpg

Dinner suit (black tie):

2a4y9za.jpg

2edxc0x.jpg

35btfg9.jpg

- B

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FDR dining on light bulbs... and they say it was because of polio...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that FDR was insecure about his small wrists.

I am the same.

Krawczak

Reaction score
I am not going to have the wedding party's suits made, but I want a source to which I can direct them that will have what I want them to wear. If they can find something workable available for rental, great. This is the primary reason I want an inexpensive source for their suits. I'd like to say "if you want to rent or something, fine, as long as you look good. But hey, here's a place you can buy one for a little more!

As for the future utility of white tie, believe it or not, I will have call for it again. I am very active in the local historic preservation community, and there are often period events around town that I attend. I'm also kind of a vintage clothes weirdo, so I'm not above wearing it at times when it wouldn't be strictly appropriate. I'm not a "steampunk", however. Ugh.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are you sure that you want white tie?

Morning dress:

2hyw3np.jpg

- B

holy gathering of old white rich men

Vox which one are you
smile.gif

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOL'ed at the idea of white tie at a so-called "budget" wedding.
laugh.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
things like waistcoats, you basically can't find these cheap OTR b/c they're never made by the Gap and in general formalwear isn't discounted as much/often as standard suiting

you can find your described tux pretty cheap at TM Lewin. re: your groomsmen, unless they are style guys, I think you are going to have to pick out the tuxes yourself. most people don't know the difference between peak and notch, or don't think its a big deal, or will just listen to the tux shop guy despite what you tell him

Krawczak

Reaction score
needshoehelp: I know, right? These are the kind of expectations you get when you read styleforum and shop almost exclusively at thrift stores. Obviously, "budget" is relative. I'd like to spend maybe less than $1000 on my outfit? The groomsmen's clothes far less.

Orgetorix: Gahh! I'm a 38/38L. Probably not tailorable?

I've found an OTR RL "Ritz" tailcoat for pretty cheeps. Is this worth even bothering? It has satin lapels, but otherwise the picture looks OK.

Also, to clarify, the picture I had in my head was white tie for me, black tie for the wedding party. I just realized that I didn't make that clear in the first post, which would obviously lead to thoughts like "what the hell is this guy talking about, he doesn't know what white tie is"

Macallan9

Reaction score
White tie wedding in Cali....bold. Please post pictures if you do go through with it.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
He is the portrait above the door.

No, he is the source of illumination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads