• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is styleforum turning off new members?

ecclespeccles

Reaction score
whether newbs are being turned off, i'm not sure. whether they should be, definately not. im sure the guys blowing up over dumb threads have contributed to the awesome wealth of knowledge that is styleforum. so either do a bit of a search beforehand, or take what these guys have to say on the chin if you've unwittlingly started a dumb thread, call them c*nts under your breath, and try not to do it again i guess. then get back to the gold.

and while you're all here, i've got this interview with a law firm next week...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is now quite a mature site so far as the longevity of membership and depth of knowldge of many is concerned.

It therefore gets tedious for some of the same old questions to be raised yet again. Why is it so wrong to expect people to search against key words; Must everything be served on a plate to them?

Some newcomers also seem to ask more basic questions than used to be the case or expect their choices to be made for them: No one on here will ever wear in the OP's context anything for which approval or selection is called.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atwigman
e-drama queens, attention wh*res and juvenile whiners.

AKA SW & D.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
This is now quite a mature site so far as the longevity of membership and depth of knowldge of many is concerned.

It therefore gets tedious for some of the same old questions to be raised yet again. Why is it so wrong to expect people to search against key words; Must everything be served on a plate to them?

Some newcomers also seem to ask more basic questions than used to be the case or expect their choices to be made for them: No one on here will ever wear in the OP's context anything for which approval or selection is called.

I agree that there is the occasional stupid question thread, but let's face it: it's going to be repetitive. Is there anything that hasn't been discussed? This particular subforum is dedicated to "permanent style" which isn't exactly the most dynamic topic. New posters want to actually participate in discussion, not just read one that took place last year. If you're tired of that particular conversation, ignore it and post elsewhere.

And to these who say the tone isn't that different than many other message boards, I say, you guys visit ******, cliquish boards populated by guys who were picked on as kids and revel in having a space where they're the tough guys/cool kids. I've been posting on (mostly music) message boards since the late 90s, and I've rarely seen the level of nastiness and "snark" exhibited on SF. A gentleman wouldn't say anything online that he wouldn't say face-to-face, and I highly doubt some of these posters are this rude IRL.

le Dauphin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I agree that there is the occasional stupid question thread, but let's face it: it's going to be repetitive. Is there anything that hasn't been discussed? This particular subforum is dedicated to "permanent style" which isn't exactly the most dynamic topic. New posters want to actually participate in discussion, not just read one that took place last year. If you're tired of that particular conversation, ignore it and post elsewhere.

I was hesitant to reply to this thread, given that I'm new as well, but I agree with what you've posted here. Without rehashing old threads from time to time, this forum would at some point become simply a database of information rather than a forum. No?
peepwall[1].gif

-Matt

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New members are turning me off SF.

Originally Posted by stylenewbie
It seems that the default answer for many senior members is along the lines of "Why arent you paying/responding to my PMs about the item you said you would buy?"

FTFY

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Close entry to all new members, all in favour?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ this.

People with little to no initiative, expected to be spoon-fed information about how to dress, what to dress, and blindly following the leader like mindless drones.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the most irritating thig about some new members is that they seek advice on various items (which a search would reveal in many cases) and then NEVER complete the enquiry by stating what they have done and why.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
One of the most irritating thig about some new members is that they seek advice on various items (which a search would reveal in many cases) and then NEVER complete the enquiry by stating what they have done and why.

leeches_suck_tshirt-p235561366665576732q6z4_400.jpg

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Close entry to all new members, all in favour?

Obviously no one is suggesting this, but I think the OP over-generalized the situation and failed to mention that there are reasons behind some of the "snarkiness" against new members.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
^ this.

People with little to no initiative, expected to be spoon-fed information about how to dress, what to dress, and blindly following the leader like mindless drones.

"Drones are NOT mindless." - Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
bigstar[1].gif

letmefly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
Actually, I came here because purseforum was too rough for me.

Tell me about it - those guys are straight shooters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics