• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That's pretty much how it goes, isn't it. Years ago, a friend called me while we were in France and asked if I'd like to spend the day with him and Michel Chapoutier cruising around his vineyards, having meals, etc. I declined, thinking that I didn't really like Rhone wines.
plain.gif

ffffuuuu.gif

chapoutier-les-greffieux.jpg

Crawford

Reaction score
We don't have a tremendous selection of California wines available to us in BC, but I was in the liquor store yesterday and noticed they've brought in some '06/'07 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir. The cost is $70CND per bottle. Question is, how does that price compare to what you'd pay in California and is it worth the cost to pick up a bottle for special event?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had 4 iterations of ME of different vintages. The consistency is excellent. Wish she would show up at the LCBO more often.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crawford
We don't have a tremendous selection of California wines available to us in BC, but I was in the liquor store yesterday and noticed they've brought in some '06/'07 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir. The cost is $70CND per bottle. Question is, how does that price compare to what you'd pay in California and is it worth the cost to pick up a bottle for special event?
Depends on which bottling it is. Her generic Sonoma Coast PN goes for $36 direct from the winery, but her single vineyard bottlings usually hover between 50 and 65. I think her Sonoma Coast & RRV bottles are worth their retail prices, but not $70. That said, if you don't find much good Sonoma Pinot in BC, you should at least pick one up and see if you like it, IMO. Piob and I love ME, Matt is not as impressed. Pick a side and stick w/ it, noob.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crawford

Originally Posted by audiophilia
I've had 4 iterations of ME of different vintages. The consistency is excellent. Wish she would show up at the LCBO more often.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Depends on which bottling it is. Her generic Sonoma Coast PN goes for $36 direct from the winery, but her single vineyard bottlings usually hover between 50 and 65. I think her Sonoma Coast & RRV bottles are worth their retail prices, but not $70. That said, if you don't find much good Sonoma Pinot in BC, you should at least pick one up and see if you like it, IMO. Piob and I love ME, Matt is not as impressed. Pick a side and stick w/ it, noob.

I'm from BC and have bought and enjoyed this wine - as KW says it is the Sonoma coast bottling which makes the CDN price extortionate. For the money, there are lots of nice PN to buy, especially from France. Go to Marquis Wines on denman and ask them to help you - you won't be disappointed, they have never steered me wrong...

Here are two choices where you'll do better for your money:
http://www.marquis-wines.com/Domaine...ml_p_9639.html
http://www.marquis-wines.com/Laurent...ml_p_9568.html

If you want a BC PN, the wineries are not yet up to par but they do know how to charge - expect to pay $40 for a bottle to get drinkability. Wineries to check out are: Le Vieux Pin, Kettle Valley, Poplar Grove.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think Matt told me he liked a bottle I got him but I can't remember the vineyard. I think it was the vineyard I liked the least too.

I can tell you, that 01 magnum we had over our anniversary/Labour Day was awesome. Klopp Ranch, I think.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think Matt told me he liked a bottle I got him but I can't remember the vineyard. I think it was the vineyard I liked the least too.

I can tell you, that 01 magnum we had over our anniversary/Labour Day was awesome. Klopp Ranch, I think.

Matt also told me that the wine you guys got the day you went tasting he enjoyed. I just meant, ME does not hold the special place in his heart that it does for us. I still remember my ME tasting. Probably the best tasting I had in CA, from the wines to the view to the way we were received. A good day indeed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Matt also told me that the wine you guys got the day you went tasting he enjoyed. I just meant, ME does not hold the special place in his heart that it does for us. I still remember my ME tasting. Probably the best tasting I had in CA, from the wines to the view to the way we were received. A good day indeed.

I am certainly looking forward to going back one day. I told you Andy Peay will be in town for a vintner's dinner?
inlove.gif
Peay.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you try a new wine three different times and each time you come away thinking that it was pretty bad, would you give it another go?

Bought a 6 pack of the 2006 Anam Cara PN a while back to give it a try. Didn't really like the first couple of bottles. Waited a few months and opened the third one yesterday. I don't mind a little funk, but this tastes like a muddy mess to me. There's just no balance here. I don't like this wine.

Might just keep the other three for a few years and see if there's any change. I just don't see anything here to get much better, though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
We'll give it a whirl - thanks, all of your suggestions have been so good.

Last night I looked at my old Oxford Companion (1994) and Cornas is described as under-appreciated with phenomenal potential for long-term aging - lots in common with hermitage and rotie but without the price. Clape in particular is singled out for toughing it through the lean '70s when most of the vineyards were abandoned and that he now enjoys a cult following. A true connoisseur's wine - no surprise that it gets the iammatt seal of approval...
bigstar[1].gif

Just had a bottle of the '06 tonight with a leg of lamb. Really drinking well now, just a fabulous wine. Probably will drink well for another decade and a half, but I can't see any reason to hold back.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're here!
wink.gif

1. Drink CA Cab
2. Ignore iamatt
3. The rest

For a nice overview, I like Hugh Johnson's little book.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by happy hooligan
I wish I knew more about wine. What's a good source to learn?
This thread is actually a pretty good source of information, as long as you are able to see the POV from which some people are posting. For example, gomestar is up on eye-ties, Matt is big on Rhone wines and other wines that are great matches with food, Manton (when he poasts) is a great resource on the grand cru classes of France & older CA reds, Piob is mostly a CA red drinker, I am good for nothing but +1'ing other people, PandArts drinks a lot of South American/Spanish/lesser known stuff, etc. It's just important to realize that nothing that anyone says in here is law (unless they are actually discussing the laws) and opinions are like assholes. Aside from that, pick up an encyclopedic tome of wine, like The Wine Bible or The Oxford Companion to Wine. And, most importantly, taste as much as you possibly can, because by doing so, you will not only learn what you like in wine (which will undoubtedly change and evolve as you drink more) but you will learn just from being in and around wine. Oh, and if you ask a question in here that only gets snark/assholish remarks, don't be surprised. We are still SF, after all.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
You're here!
wink.gif

1. Drink CA Cab
2. Ignore iamatt
3. The rest

For a nice overview, I like Hugh Johnson's little book.

Yay!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads