• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is styleforum turning off new members?

HarleyBob

Reaction score
As a fairly new member, I am very careful about what I ask and post. I haven't been roasted like some. I find some members' comments to be downright rude and insensitive. I guess my approach is, if I don't have something of value to add, I will just remain quiet. If I don't like the question, think it is stupid or redundant, before I jump in to harangue someone, I remember what my Mother used to say,"if you can't find something good to say, don't say anything at all." Now, if someone has asked an opinion regarding their dress, it is fair game to give them an honest opinion, but it can be done in a professional and considerate manner.

stylenewbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
As a fairly new member, I am very careful about what I ask and post. I haven't been roasted like some. I find some members' comments to be downright rude and insensitive. I guess my approach is, if I don't have something of value to add, I will just remain quiet. If I don't like the question, think it is stupid or redundant, before I jump in to harangue someone, I remember what my Mother used to say,"if you can't find something good to say, don't say anything at all." Now, if someone has asked an opinion regarding their dress, it is fair game to give them an honest opinion, but it can be done in a professional and considerate manner.

This

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I have gained much from participating in this forum. I do not offer advice to others because I recognize my naivity. I have received much helpful advice, which I have put into practice. I have always felt that Vox in particular has taken me under his wing. Its been almost like having acquiring a new father. Thanks Dad.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone is new and asks a thoughtful question, I try to answer it. Often I will provide a link if it is a topic that has been discussed at length.
If someone is new and asks a question that demonstrates they haven't bothered to read anything here before posting (i.e. what are the best Kenneth Cole shoes), I will be rude.
If you just expect everything to be served up to you on a silver platter without reading anything, I find that rude (i.e. stylemeup,etc.).

stylenewbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
If someone is new and asks a thoughtful question, I try to answer it. Often I will provide a link if it is a topic that has been discussed at length. If someone is new and asks a question that demonstrates they haven't bothered to read anything here before posting (i.e. what are the best Kenneth Cole shoes), I will be rude. If you just expect everything to be served up to you on a silver platter without reading anything, I find that rude (i.e. stylemeup,etc.).
But here you are making the assumption that the poster knows enough about the styleforum community to understand our hatred for Kenneth cole. Why must we expect a person who stumbles onto this site from google to do a thorough search? We complain about the work of sifting through a few repetitive posts, yet feel that we have the right to insult posters who have not sifted through even more posts (which can take a good deal more time) to find the answer to their question.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i blame Vox.

Who is Vox?
confused.gif

R-H

Reaction score
People that are lazy and expect other members to compile information on their behalf deserve to be ridiculed.

e.g I'm new to style and want someone to list everything I need for work. 6', 23 and work in an office. kthx. threads

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylenewbie
But here you are making the assumption that the poster knows enough about the styleforum community to understand our hatred for Kenneth cole. Why must we expect a person who stumbles onto this site from google to do a thorough search?

When I stumble across a website that I think I may be interested in, I read it to confirm my interest. I don't just start blindly posting. If I love my KCs and find a website called StyleForum, I read it.If I find those idiots don't appreciate my beautiful square-toed shoes, I move on down the Interwebz or try to educate the poor bastards.

stylenewbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
People that are lazy and expect other members to compile information on their behalf deserve to be ridiculed.

e.g I'm new to style and want someone to list everything I need for work. 6', 23 and work in an office. kthx. threads

Why not just ignore them? And to be honest I've never seen a post like that

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H

+ 1,000.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's a post like that virtually every day noob.
teacha.gif

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H

Here is one recent thread, at random:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=197338

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads